PDA

View Full Version : Everest II

Skywave-Rider
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Anyone know where they may be heard while in Tokyo?

speakerdave
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Anyone know where they may be heard while in Tokyo?

When Don was there he mentioned Dynamic Audio in the Akihabara district. They have two floors of JBL in a seven floor store.
There are also other JBL retailers in the area.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12157

Skywave-Rider
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks, Dave.

Saw some at the Sound House.

Floor manager was out so did not hear them. Might have an opportunity to go back.

Skywave-Rider
08-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Heard them today, when I get back I'll post pics, etc....

Valentin
08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
so whats the story

Skywave-Rider
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks to Dave and Don for the crucial information.

I was in Tokyo for the first time about a year and a half ago. That's how, serendipitously, I got back into horn speakers. Walked into the Akihabara district and found some cool stores and what I thought were old JBLs. But they were brand new. After getting home I started looking into JBL/Altec/Klipsch, bought my 9844s, etc..

On this trip I was not able to find any of those vendors. Some were tiny shops -- they may be gone. I'm told it's very difficult for anybody, even natives, to find things in that city, so I don't feel too bad about it.

But the Everests were located and I got to hear them. Much thanks to Shigenobu Atugi of Dynamic Audio’s Sound House for his generosity and kind demonstration.

If you make the pilgrimage, I think the attached map will help. I had a translator with me, I suggest you do too if you do not speak Japanese.

Here are some pics.

Valentin
08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
what about the sound

its a granted it is good

but did you personaly liked it

Valentin

pd nice pictures

Skywave-Rider
08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I had no intention of conducting a review or providing listening impressions of any speakers, as this was not the main purpose of my trip. As such I didn’t take notes. For me it was a fun leg of the journey and worthwhile.

Anyway, Valentin, and for those interested:

Emergent pattern after listening to some different recordings:

They are too bright. I placed my hand in front of the UHF driver and was surprised as to how much HF comes from it. I was under the impression that it was crossed ultra-high, as in UHF and that they were essentially 2.5 ways with augmentation. But apparently not. There’s a lot of energy from there. Either that or I still have bat ears.

They have an upper bass hump which is muddying. If the lows have depth, I could not tell, probably for that reason. They may be anemic in VLF, I don’t know.

I noticed some things in the mids, positive and negative, but I can’t specify from memory so I’ll leave that.

Phantom image was fairly stable.

Yes they are exciting in terms of industrial design.

Mr. Widget
08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the non review. :D I always find this sort of thing interesting.

They are too bright. I placed my hand in front of the UHF driver and was surprised as to how much HF comes from it. I was under the impression that it was crossed ultra-high, as in UHF and that they were essentially 2.5 ways with augmentation. But apparently not. There’s a lot of energy from there. Either that or I still have bat ears.Too bright? Perhaps, but essentially all speakers roll off the top a bit by design. As speakers get more linear up top we tend to find them bright. I do not think the E2 was meant to have a pronounced top end.

In one of the demos I heard, I asked Greg to block the tweeter completely by placing a towel in front of it and to my ears, which are admittedly deep into middle age :D, I could hear no difference with or without the tweeters being blocked while listening to standard CDs. (For those not familiar with CD Red Book specifications, CDs have no content above 22.05 KHz and they typically have a low pass filter tuned below that frequency.)

I wonder if the dealer you visited might not be pulling the HT bit... as many home theater demos have the rears and surrounds cranked so that you can "really hear them", maybe they had the little bat slayer cranked? I wonder.

They have an upper bass hump which is muddying. If the lows have depth, I could not tell, probably for that reason. They may be anemic in VLF, I don’t know. Could be room and set up dependent. I thought the bass was deep and articulate in the demo I heard conducted by Greg Timbers. Merlin has made similar observations about the bass as yours from his auditions in Japan. If I recall correctly he had similar impressions from listening to them at two different stores in Tokyo.

Widget

Skywave-Rider
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Could be room and set up dependent. I thought the bass was deep and articulate in the demo I heard conducted by Greg Timbers. Merlin has made similar observations about the bass as yours from his auditions in Japan. If I recall correctly he had similar impressions from listening to them at two different stores in Tokyo.

Widget

Certainly. But speakers must be heard where they can be heard. So that was my opportunity. If there was a demo room in NY, and set up properly, I'd be there. (Anybody in NY want to invite me into their living room?)

About the tweeter, what I heard was pronounced. I'm sticking with bright. If there is a way to user-adjust that without mods, I have no idea; but I did not expect to see L-pads or taps, so I assumed not. Is there a way to crank the UHF driver alone or move its high pass?

My impression of the Japanese dealers (insofar as my experience goes) is that they are meticulous and kind of revelatory about what flows forth from JBL, so I'm not sure they would try the "HT trick," but who knows.

Interesting about Merlin's impression being similar.

If I go back next year I'll seek another venue.

And Mr Widget, I don't have bat ears either.:) Not any more.

Hoerninger
08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Could be room and set up dependent.

It should be proven very carefully.

I can't remember a "upper bass hump which is muddying" when I listened to the Everest in Hälsingborg. It is a thing of memory. But I was a bit fixed on clean bass because of the horn system I had at hand at that time. The listening room for that demonstration was a conference room, without furniture except the chairs in the middle of the room.

At that demonstration they played the Array 1400 too. My memory tells me that the biggest differences were due to the music. The Array was choosen for elder and newer music. The Everest was demonstrated with better recordings throughout.
Unfortunately the music for demonstration of the Everest was completely unknown to me.

Who will make a careful listening test?

Mr. Widget
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
But speakers must be heard where they can be heard. Unfortunately that is the case. :(

About the tweeter, what I heard was pronounced. I'm sticking with bright. If there is a way to user-adjust that without mods, I have no idea; but I did not expect to see L-pads or taps, so I assumed not. Is there a way to crank the UHF driver alone or move its high pass? There is some user adjustment available behind the front panel. I don't know if there is a tweeter adjustment.

That said, the tweeter is meant to come it at 20KHz. Assuming it is and it is set crazy bright, I would assume it would only be audible with vinyl and possibly SACDs and even then it would only be upper harmonics on some transients. There should be no sound coming from them when playing a CD as those frequencies are missing. I am sure you heard what you are describing, but it certainly sounds strange to me.

Widget

Skywave-Rider
08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, what's the deal with that?

I went in thinking that tweeter was for UHF, emphasizing ultra. Did not expect to hear a difference when covering it.
(Although we must assume it's there for a reason.)

Now I wonder if there are different versions of the filter or whether or not it has been tweaked in situ.

So who's going to give me another demo?

There must be some in NY.

I'll bring a box of wine, or carton of sake, as appropriate.

Rolf
08-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Unfortunatly the DD66000 has some "not to good" spots regarding the sound. (As far as I have heard them) I am planning to get a pair home to make my "judgement".

I guess this will not matter to the ones believing they are the best.

Skywave-Rider
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Rolf, are you really getting a pair to audition?

Rolf
08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Rolf, are you really getting a pair?

I am planning to get a pair at my home for listening, and judgement.

Skywave-Rider
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I am planning to get a pair at my home for listening, and judgement.

Looking forward to your conclusions then, Rolf. Cool.

Valentin, this is all your fault. JK
:D

Valentin
08-23-2008, 08:14 AM
sorry
but you are entitle to your opinion
and its a valid one

i am also surprised by it:blink:

but that's another story

thanks for it

Fangio
08-23-2008, 09:10 AM
There is some user adjustment available behind the front panel.
The pair that was officially demo'ed here by Harman last summer had a sort of attenuator on the left side. From what I remember it was for HF.

Personally I liked the midrange most. Very natural.

Mr. Widget
08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Personally I liked the midrange most. Very natural.:yes:

That was my impression too.

Widget

Skywave-Rider
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM
sorry
but you are entitle to your opinion
and its a valid one

i am also surprised by it:blink:

but that's another story

thanks for it

My pleasure.
I'd do it again given the opportunity.
Maybe next year.
I'll keep my "bat ears" in ready. LOL.
:cool:

jblsound
08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
So who's going to give me another demo?

There must be some in NY.

I'll bring a box of wine, or carton of sake, as appropriate.

If there are any Everest in NY would depend on how many of the 600+ back orders JBL has filled to date. I think the first few that were ordered were going to Japan, Europe.

Skywave-Rider
08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
If there are any Everest in NY would depend on how many of the 600+ back orders JBL has filled to date. I think the first few that were ordered were going to Japan, Europe.

I see.
Well it wouldn't be as fun as going to Japan, but I think there are plenty of bankers in NY who could get just about anything they want shipped.

I was not aware Everests would be sold directly in the US.

Interesting.

jblsound
08-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I see.
Well it wouldn't be as fun as going to Japan, but I think there are plenty of bankers in NY who could get just about anything they want shipped.

I was not aware Everests would be sold directly in the US.

Interesting.
I don't know if it was ever said, by JBL, the Everest will never be sold here. It was built for the Asian market, and Europe, mainly.
I have no idea what kind of time line there is to building just one pair, much less, 600+ orders, considering the industrial design.
Maybe they have all those built and shipped, maybe only half? Less?

Zilch
08-23-2008, 04:50 PM
The JBL Consumer website would seem to indicate that E2 is available through U.S. Synthesis dealers.

[I've never tried to order any, tho.... ;) ]

jblsound
08-23-2008, 06:07 PM
The JBL Consumer website would seem to indicate that E2 is available through U.S. Synthesis dealers.

[I've never tried to order any, tho.... ;) ]
Ya, that's what I was thinking.
If I ever had the money to buy a pair, I'd want to built a room specifically for them, so I could have them setup for max sound quality. A room at least as big (3200 cuft)as the one I have now, but most likely bigger.

I wonder if this formula would work as good with the Everest as it does for the PS? I pulled out my main PT800s to 93" from the end wall, they were at 54". I already had them at the formula's 58" to the side walls (17.5ft wide room) It did improve the soundstage's depth and detail, for many recordings, but not all.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup
Speaker placement, simply stated http://www.cardas.com/images/photos/dots/greensquare.gif (http://www.cardas.com/random.php)
The distance from the center of the woofer face to the side walls is:

Room Width times .276 (RW x .276)
The distance from the center of the woofer face to the wall behind the speaker is:

Room Width times .447 (RW x .447)
This is all you need to know to place speakers in a symmetrical, rectangular room!

4313B
08-31-2008, 07:41 AM
I was fortunate to hear the E2 in the "good" room at JBL. I think Don and Steve also heard it in the "bad" room. I think they posted their impressions several years ago.

Reading this thread is no different than listening to various people talk over the years about why they liked or disliked the JBL 43xx and 44xx Studio Monitors; Those systems just didn't "work" for some people and neither will the E2.

Dual woofers are a huge seller as are UHF drivers... the E2 was definitely targeted at a specific market, and very successfully. Regardless of print, the E2 was an astounding success and that is quite exciting. :yes:

Skywave-Rider
08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I was fortunate to hear the E2 in the "good" room at JBL. I think Don and Steve also heard it in the "bad" room. I think they posted their impressions several years ago.

Reading this thread is no different than listening to various people talk over the years about why they liked or disliked the JBL 43xx and 44xx Studio Monitors; Those systems just didn't "work" for some people and neither will the E2.

Dual woofers are a huge seller as are UHF drivers... the E2 was definitely targeted at a specific market, and very successfully. Regardless of print, the E2 was an astounding success and that is quite exciting.

I don’t think you are implying this, but I want to make clear that what I wrote is in no way an attempt to pass prejudice against older JBL systems onto the Everests.

Those “vintage” systems never formed much of an impression in my mind because I did not use them regularly.

I thought my posts would be fun mostly by way of the pictures and a little bit of text about the “journey.”

And to reiterate, I never intended to post a “listening impression,“ as you can see from my earlier posts. In retrospect I should have PMed Valentin, because I kind of knew in the back of my mind this was going to be “trouble.” :) But I hoped it would not be offensive. And, after all, one person’s listening impression is just that. I have not dug up anybody else’s listening impressions as I am confident in my ability to judge for myself.

I’m sure I’ll have a chance to listen to Everests again, as I’m always seeking to hear monitors; though admittedly, they are mostly studio monitors. If I’m lucky, they will be in the right room and unmodified.

I had fun, it was enjoyable, I would not discourage anyone from seeking a venue to hear the Everest II. I did it, and it was not like crossing the street and waltzing into the local salon.:no:

4313B
08-31-2008, 02:06 PM
I don’t think you are implying this, but I want to make clear that what I wrote is in no way an attempt to pass prejudice against older JBL systems onto the Everests.I was posting in response to the thread as a whole. Just like any other JBL, some people will like the E2 and some won't. I didn't put alot into my post.

Mr. Widget
08-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I was posting in response to the thread as a whole. Just like any other JBL, some people will like the E2 and some won't.That is true of all speakers. I guess we start to think that at the upper end of the spectrum we should all find audio nirvana, but even out there at the stratosphere of cost and performance, setup, room acoustics and personal preference will have a great deal of influence on whether a system is favorably reviewed or not. Obviously none of this is new to most of us.

What I do find surprising is that someone on a small tropical island can post that they have discovered audio nirvana by using a 2425 with an after market diaphragm that was soaked in cat urine for three days and we'll have four guys running out to find a cat. :blink:

Widget

Robh3606
08-31-2008, 02:55 PM
What I do find surprising is that someone on a small tropical island can post that they have discovered audio nirvana by using a 2425 with an after market diaphragm that was soaked in cat urine for three days and we'll have four guys running out to find a cat. :blink:

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I already have one right here!

Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a re-make of Lost!

I think that is what eighteensound have been doing with some of their chemically treated titanuim based drivers.

speakerdave
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
There's nirvana, but there's also the danger in listening to very expensive speakers that you couldn't buy even if you wanted to--the remainder of your audio life could end up tasting like cardboard. There are two ways to immunize yourself--1) don't go listen to them, 2) go listen and decide they suck.

Having been through one experience, which I came to accidentally, in which the amount of money I thought I'd ever need to spend on speakers was expanded by a factor of ten, I've become, since accepting the expansion and following through on it, a contented home body.

David

Ian Mackenzie
08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Its a but like the flaming over capacitors.

I a/b charge-coupled solen Fast caps, auricaps and Mundorf silver & oils recently.

It went like good, better and way better.:blah:

But as they say what you dont know want hurt you. :blink:

That is the unique thing about audio and loudspeakers in particular because your sensory perceptions will react and climatise with what you hear after while unless something new comes along.;)

Skywave-Rider
08-31-2008, 03:49 PM
There are two ways to immunize yourself--1) don't go listen to them, 2) go listen and decide they suck.

David

Haha, That's hilarious!:D

I think what you've just said is that you've gone out and gotten Everests, or something pricey. I'm happy for you, and was not aware. Cool.

In my case, I hear problems with all systems and environments I encounter, that's life, so I guess I'll never be satisfied. But I'm happy nonetheless. :p

Titanium Dome
08-31-2008, 04:54 PM
That is the unique thing about audio and loudspeakers in particular because your sensory perceptions will react and climatise with what you hear after while unless something new comes along.;)

I like your use of "climatize" (American spelling ;) ) to describe the changing conditions under which we listen. It's well-wrought, Ian.

Titanium Dome
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
In my case, I hear problems with all systems and environments I encounter, that's life, so I guess I'll never be satisfied. But I'm happy nonetheless. :p

Wow, it must suck to be that hard to satisfy. There's a guy over on AVS you should meet. You both seem to have a positive attitude about not being able to find a system that doesn't present problems. He seems happy, too.

I'm 180 degrees away, finding something to like in almost every system. It's not that I can't hear the differences; they simply don't stop me from enjoying the immense variety of sonic experiences out there. Yes, some I like more than others, but when there's nothing else available I'm pleased as punch with my little Sony cubes and matching monster 4" woofer! :yes:

As long as there's music, I couldn't be happier.

Two different paths I suppose.

4313B
08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
There are two ways to immunize yourself--1) don't go listen to them, 2) go listen and decide they suck.:applaud:

I'm 180 degrees away, finding something to like in almost every system. It's not that I can't hear the differences; they simply don't stop me from enjoying the immense variety of sonic experiences out there.Absolutely! There isn't a loudspeaker on the planet that sounds just like an oboe, it isn't ever going to happen, so enjoy the effects the loudspeakers present and live with them or without them. They're toys, just like our boats, cars, trains, etc. :blah::blah::blah: I have read some of that stuff going on on those other forums and I can't help but chuckle. It's pretty damn funny. :p

Skywave-Rider
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow, it must suck to be that hard to satisfy. There's a guy over on AVS you should meet. You both seem to have a positive attitude about not being able to find a system that doesn't present problems. He seems happy, too.

Damn, this is a tough room. Are you asking me to leave?

I'm 180 degrees away, finding something to like in almost every system.

I would not criticize what you do.

I think we know next to nothing about each other; not enough to know what the other's path is. But it's great that we can assume music is a common denominator, don't you think?

PS: Check this out, I've got Klipsch Heresys running off axis in my apt. right now. Problems? Yes, LOL.

Mr. Widget
08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
I would not criticize what you do.Oh god, I have... but I didn't mean it Dome, Honest. :rotfl:

Actually, I admire your ability to look past the system and enjoy the music. That's a tough one for me.

PS: Check this out, I've got Klipsch Heresys running off axis in my apt. right now.I had a pair of the second generation Heresys for a brief stint. I thought they were on par with L100s... but I kept the L100s. Almost sold them too, but then I got some beautiful Quadrex grilles and couldn't give them up. :bouncy:

I guess we've veered a bit off the original topic yet again. The other day I was looking at the JBL price sheet and noticed that the Rosewood veneer option was the least expensive Everest II. Ebony, Maple, and Cherry are all an upcharge. I found that a surprise.

Widget

Titanium Dome
08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Damn, this is a tough room. Are you asking me to leave?

Not at all. I just thought you'd like to know there was a kindred spirit over there.

I would not criticize what you do. And I wouldn't criticize you. I called you positive and happy. (As for the "it must suck" comment, it was a reflective comment--meaning about me, not an assertion about you, OK?)

I think we know next to nothing about each other; not enough to know what the other's path is. But it's great that we can assume music is a common denominator, don't you think?

1) You're happy but can't find a system without a problem. 2) I'm happy but like everything I hear.

Ergo, two different paths, both ending in happiness. It wasn't all that deep a comment. :)

Titanium Dome
08-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Now we must dance! :dj-party:

grumpy
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
"Is that all there is?" :)

hjames
09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Now we must dance! :dj-party:

His monkey, don't touch his monkey!!

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
"Is that all there is?" :)

haha, lurker...

I love u guys.
And Heather, too.

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Grumpy, how's this:
Did I mention that my 9844s blow away the Everests?
There are "problems" however....

OT, but wonder if u got around to:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=211046&postcount=240

grumpy
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
1) Yes, I do believe you did :)

2) Nope, they're in the garage. I have quite a list piling up on the to-do list.
... which is not so :). I do appreciate the reminder. The baffle will be
in Avalon -> Carmel cabs that are in really nice shape other than the baffle
(prev. owner cut them out to fit 604's). They'll be similar your 9844's
when done w/ dual 414's, so I have a pair of purported Everest II killers
collecting dust :p ... does that get us back on topic?

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 03:25 PM
1) Yes, I do believe you did :)

2) Nope, they're in the garage. I have quite a list piling up on the to-do list.
... which is not so :). I do appreciate the reminder. The baffle will be
in Avalon -> Carmel cabs that are in really nice shape other than the baffle
(prev. owner cut them out to fit 604's). They'll be similar your 9844's
when done w/ dual 414's, so I have a pair of purported Everest II killers
collecting dust :p ... does that get us back on topic?

Abso&'nlutely.

[I wasn't rushing you. When u get around to doing it I'd like to know how you set it up (x-over/HF driver etc.) Wish I had the time and space to fine tune mine.]

Now we just need Tom Brennan to chime in.

Mr. Widget
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Grumpy, how's this:
Did I mention that my 9844s blow away the Everests?
Really?

Or are you just making a point?

Widget

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Just messing with Grumpy. The Altecs are great, but I would not seriously say they were better than anything else worthy without a side to side comparo, and with some mods allowed, and perhaps handicapping. :)

Not sure about the historical lineage, but wouldn't that be a fun idea, to compare, respectfully, an old predecessor -- whether or not it is the 9844 -- to the modern supermodel? Probably been done? Not enough speaker geeks in the world to make that happen?

The old Altecs might still do some things well.
This sort of game might offer a glimpse into the future?

I offer my 98448-Bs for the "shootout." :duel:
Better yet, I'll offer Grumpy's.

grumpy
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Sure, bud. ...soon as I finish off the Ava-mels -and- someone wants to lend
me some DD66000's for indefinite-duration testing comparisons :D

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
David.
Yes I, maybe others, were having some fun. And I think past examples of state of the art, whether or not 9844s qualify I'm not sure, deserve respect too. Historians say, know where you've been to see where you are going.

I think you are taking this personally and I said nothing to provoke your response, nor did I say anything offensive.

It's interesting to me.
Perhaps you are not interested.:dont-know

4313B
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I would like to suggest that participants in this at-times offensive thread consider an intangible difference between all past models of speakers and the Everest II, and that is that the Everest II is JBL's current statement speaker, and it is the creation of a distinguished engineer who has been a friend of this forum. It is embarrassing to me, and I would think to others, to see someone blather on in this manner about this man's work, possibly the crowning achievement of a remarkable series of achievements.

If you want to be giddy and goofy about something, please do it around something else.The first Everest II thread already "did the damage".

I hate to be rude but what this forum thinks about the Everest II is probably one step below completely irrelevant.

Like I posted a couple times before, the Everest II was an astounding success beyond anything JBL ever imagined. It was thoroughly splendid for highlighting JBL's 60th Anniversary. :yes: Those who own them couldn't care less what anyone here thinks of them; It just doesn't matter. :) Feel free to rack up a few more pages to this thread though if it alleviates your boredom.

Skywave-Rider
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
...Feel free to rack up a few more pages to this thread though if it alleviates your boredom.

Could happen. I'm still on Vicadin with a few more days mandatory rest for the rotator cuff. After that I'll be scarce again.

Is it obvious I'm on Vicadin? :D

grumpy
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
4313B: I don't see your post as rude, I quite agree.

In general, I also don't see reason for anyone worrying about this thread
threatening anyone's engineering competence, genius, or the
acknowledgment of just good, hard work and experience
that developed into a crowning lifetime achievement successful
project and product.

This banter just isn't that important by itself. Camaraderie can be though.
That said, I'd have no problem in this thread being whacked somewhere
after post #21 or so.

Maron Horonzakz
09-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Grumpy,,, Deplomacy is over I tier of this banter,,Please let me whack this guy,,,I promise to make it quick.;)

hjames
09-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Grumpy,,,
Diplomacy is over, I tire of this banter,,
Please, let me whack this guy,,,I promise to make it quick.;)

yeah ... he's on vicoden:applaud: -
should be EASY to sneak up and grease em!!!

Maron Horonzakz
09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
I could extract his rotater cup and replace it with 075 ring.;)

grumpy
09-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Maybe OT, but at least you brought an element of Lansing Heritage back into the
mob blog, w/ the 075 ref. :D

Skywave-Rider
09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah, thanks for staying OT and keeping it ethnically familiar.
I'm so at home here, it's like I was back in Brooklyn...:D

Maron Horonzakz
09-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Years ago JBL had a Paragon that was loaned out to some of the dealers on a monthly rotating basis.. Now i cant find any JBL dealers in the midwest,,, It would have been nice to have the Everest II auditioned through a JBL audio store,,, Not going to happen anymore,, Synergy to me is a flop in helping to get the product auditioned,..

Skywave-Rider
09-02-2008, 07:58 AM
That is sad. I thought Widget had a good concept in another thread about marketing and retailing JBL products. We were calling it "JBL Lifestyle/Experience...," whatever lame tag; but it's a cool concept. JBL/Harman, whatever entity, buys a little performance venue in NY or SF and adds a showcase element/cafe/sonic focal point. Because culturally, that would be an investment in the future of high end manufacturers.

I'm not a businessman, just a guy on muscle relaxants.
On second thought, Brooklyn would be a good location too.

Maron Horonzakz
09-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Thats what we had here in the midwest,,Till the owners past on,,,, Very clean here in the midwest,,Without the Brooklin dogshit,, or the Texas bullshit:D

Titanium Dome
09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
(...points at groin...)

Okay. Here's what needs to happen for JBL to solve all of our little problems.

1) Harman/JBL has to satisfy pent up demand for the Everest II. Until that happens, the product is selling it self. Why would a company successfully selling a $60k product pull one out of the supply chain for a bunch of looky-loos?

2) There has to be tangible evidence that there is demand for widespread exposure to the product. Four or five (or fifty) people passively posting on a Web site that they'd like to see an Everest has no impact. Are these folks even remotely potential customers, or are they tire-kickers? Could exposure to the Everest II induce them to buy any current JBL product? Or would they then complain that the current stuff was either crap or unrealistically over-priced?

Harman has a new CEO. He's one of the few guys who could override marketing, sales, and engineering. Email him, phone him, send him letters, visit his office. Then he might decide that putting a $60k product on traveling display might produce a few sales, after prequalifying a bunch of prospects.

3) Stop running down the brand. Stop second-guessing products (at any price point) that are designed by top level, well-respected, accomplished professionals. Become a customer as well as a commentator. Then JBL might listen to LH member's ideas.

Harman/JBL hired Jean Luc Pickard to respond to our complaints. He's saying, "You're number one!"

Skywave-Rider
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Thats what we had here in the midwest,,Till the owners past on,,,, Very clean here in the midwest,,Without the Brooklin dogshit,, or the Texas bullshit:D

Don't u know about the "pooper scooper" laws?
Well, for better or worse, Brooklyn is a hotspot right now. Guess if I knew what I was talking about, I might also choose Minneapolis, they seem to have the right ingredients there as well.

Zilch
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Why would a company successfully selling a $60k product pull one out of the supply chain for a bunch of looky-loos?Because we are SPECIAL looky-loos, of course.... ;)

Maron Horonzakz
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Well that looky pooky of the Paragon got 8 of us to buy that product that month. :D

Mr. Widget
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Well that looky pooky of the Paragon got 8 of us to buy that product that month. :DI thought you made your own?

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Made two,,,Bought one.:applaud:

Russellc
09-10-2008, 08:32 AM

I'm 180 degrees away, finding something to like in almost every system. It's not that I can't hear the differences; they simply don't stop me from enjoying the immense variety of sonic experiences out there. Yes, some I like more than others, but when there's nothing else available I'm pleased as punch with my little Sony cubes and matching monster 4" woofer! :yes:

As long as there's music, I couldn't be happier.

Well put...I "taught" myself to like Altec A7s. Not perfect to say the least, but I can really enjoy them for what they are.:applaud:

Russellc

jblsound
09-10-2008, 09:20 AM

I know which guy you're referring to. He uses the easy scapegoat for the resulting sound he doesn't like, the speakers (Revels), as he can sell them to someone else, and get all or at least most of his money back.
But the wad of cash he spent for room treatments is lost money. And from the pictures he provided, I'd say, he got suckered by the contractor, into way more than was neccessary. And may have even degraded the sound.

Skywave-Rider
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Well put...I "taught" myself to like Altec A7s. Not perfect to say the least, but I can really enjoy them for what they are.:applaud:

Russellc

So you'd say the same for Econowave?