PDA

View Full Version : 4311 Re-Cone Completed

gsb001
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Wanted to share with your all.

Last week I had one of my 2212's re-coned. Cost was $30 for labor, $27 for tax (Chicago Area) and $270 for cone. Total of $327. midwest Audio (on the web) did the work.

Quite a bit of $$, when I only paid $550 for the pair (8 out 10) 6 months ago from local vintage dealer.

It's funny, I only noticed the speaker rub on two songs - all the rest seemed to play fine. I still did the repair because I wanted them right.

When I talked to the tech - he said he was surprised I got any sound at all.
Steve

grumpy
08-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Nice. I hope you get many years payoff (enjoyment) for your investment. :)

gsb001
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm starting to wonder if I should re-cone the other speaker? The new one seems to sound better - deeper low end - more punch. I've got to believe there must be a differance between the org 38 year old (mine were built in 1975) 12" and the new re-cone.

I was expecting to hear more differance - but to my ears, it's not huge.
Steve

grumpy
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Steve,

There would be a certain satisfaction knowing that you were 'done' for quite a while,
if not done, period... as well as not needing to concern yourself with whether the cone
kits will remain available. Might want a back up plan for the LE5-2's if the voice
coils start letting go... I have one I'm just starting to hear on certain tones.

Prior to spending another $300+, I (personally) would want to convince myself of the
need (e.g., swap speaker locations and see if the perceived 'better' characteristics follow).

No doubt the speaker characteristics have at least slightly changed in nearly 40 years,
but significantly? You're the judge. Nice to see you're taking care of your system,
regardless.

Best regards,

-grumpy

John
08-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Wanted to share with your all.

Last week I had one of my 2212's re-coned. Cost was $30 for labor, $27 for tax (Chicago Area) and $270 for cone. Total of $327. midwest Audio (on the web) did the work.
Steve

I wish I knew you were in the market, I could of sold you a pair of N.O.S. 2212 kits for $300 and delivered them as well.:o:

gsb001
08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah - me too. That would have worked out nice. I guess I didn't think about posting - before I had work done. I'll know better next time.
SB