PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4350 and Bryston L-R

neanderthal
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Please chime in with any info positive,negative ,sarcastic ect. I bought a Bryston L-R because it was priced right and would like to know is what would be the down side to use it with my 4350's with it being 24 dB/Oct. Maybe this is something I'd be better off selling? :banghead:

Robh3606
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Did you try it??

Rob:)

neanderthal
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Did you try it??

No it is not here yet at but will be within a couple days. With the Bryston 10b L-R being 24db/oct I didn't know if it was the thing to do or would be better off getting rid of it. I thought the 4350's were better off at 12 or 18db/oct and didn't know the down side to running them at 24db/oct. I have to ask because honestly I just don't know much if anything about the technical stuff. I don't know what the difference is at running 12,18,24DB/oct. I don't want to waste my time trying something that for sure isn't going to work out for the best.

Robh3606
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
The traditional JBL crossovers have been at 12 and 18db slopes. I have ran my 4344 using 24db slopes and they sounded quite good that way. I am using 12db now using a DX-1. Assuming you are using a 5234/5235 the Bryston is a step up. I would just give it a try, what do you have to loose??

Besides it give you an excuse for an extended listening session:D

neanderthal
08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
The traditional JBL crossovers have been at 12 and 18db slopes. I have ran my 4344 using 24db slopes and they sounded quite good that way. I am using 12db now using a DX-1. Assuming you are using a 5234/5235 the Bryston is a step up. I would just give it a try, what do you have to loose??

Besides it give you an excuse for an extended listening session:D

LOL an "excuse for extended listening session" , huh?...lol . I got divorced 8yrs ago and only one name on the soon to be paid off mortgage. The girlfriend that is here now hangs in there when I play very loud and doesn't say anything.Only once she had to bail out of the room. The other girlfriends couldn't hang more than 3 months and had to pack it in and leave. Maybe they actually didn't like playing second fiddle to the JBL's I don't know or care. Sounds kinda arrogant but I work very hard and the JBL's are a priority around here and it isn't negotiable on any level. It is hard for me to handle it when guy's say "my wife doesn't like big speakers" ect. my day's of pretending to be a puppet to a wife is long and forever gone...thank god...traded the wife in for L-150A's,L-220's and the 4350's...sounds like a good trade off to me and I don't regret it....lol

Mr. Widget
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
JBL did design the 4350 with 2nd order butterworth filters because that is all they knew at the time... hell the Linkwitz-Riley fourth order filter topology wasn't invented yet or at least it hadn't been published yet. As for how well will it work? I am sure that you can make it work quite well... give it a shot.

Widget

boputnam
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
JBL did design the 4350 with 2nd order butterworth filters because that is all they knew at the time... hell the Linkwitz-Riley fourth order filter topology wasn't invented yet or at least it hadn't been published yet. As for how well will it work? I am sure that you can make it work quite well... give it a shot. 'zactly.

I've been running a 10B with -12dB slopes and am having Bryston convert it to the LR -24dB slopes. Steeper slopes means less overlap between elements and greater control of each as a result. My grab is, you'll be happier with the increased definition in the crossover range.

neanderthal
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks guy's that's better news than I was expecting...looks like I'll be hooking it up when it gets here and see what transpires. Thanks again for all of your input I'd be in a world of #%@# without you all.

Chas
08-08-2008, 09:04 PM
L-R crossover (state variable, with all of its technical advantages) at 290 Hz works very well over here, with my 4345's. There are no major issues based on my rudimentary RTA measurements. In fact, it works quite well with my 4344 (sort of..) MK II clones, as well.

Give it whirl, you might just like it!:)