PDA

View Full Version : 4315's w/sub, vs L-300's?

Regis
08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
The more I listen to em', the more I like them. The 4315's four-way architecture just shines. When I play them side-by-side with the L-300's, I get the feeling that the horn has a built-in delay compared to the 2405 (correct me if I'm wrong here). Maybe I'm just a fan of the four way, but I'm starting to lean towards possibly selling the L-300's and making the 4315's with a sub the main system (ala L-112, sort of....)

Edgewound mentioned that Velodyne makes some very good subwoofers and doing the research, the HGS series are pretty awesome. I'm thinking of matching a 15" single sub with the 4315's. The Velodynes are tuneable to the crossover frequency you desire and volume is seperate as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

grumpy
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
... ala L-212 perhaps? :) Velodyne makes a cool sub controller (SMS-1?)
haven't read anywhere if it would work well with multiple subs, but you
might consider the control available via multi-sub placement vs. narrow-band
corrections. Living space might dictate a preference, but both would be
cool :D

Mr. Widget
08-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Velodyne makes some very good subwoofers and doing the research, the HGS series are pretty awesome. I'm thinking of matching a 15" single sub with the 4315's.The HGS series was Velodyne's top of the line in their previous generation. The current DD series is even better, especially when you consider the ability to really integrate it with the built in DSP. That said, the HGS models are quite affordable on the used market. The DD series are fairly costly.

As for Velodynes and music systems, if you can use a very low crossover point, say below 40Hz, I like them. I have used a HGS 10" sub with a smaller music system and it worked quite well. Since experimenting with the SMS-1 that Grumpy mentioned, I'd go with it and a pair of 12"-15" JBL subs depending on what you can get and afford in terms of real estate and also financially. If your system is for HT go for the Velodyne, it will have the capability of mercilessly pressurizing the room at sub musical frequencies, if however you are after an exceptional musical experience, go with a pair of good JBL woofers in custom boxes being controlled by the Velodyne SMS-1. I have used the JBL Sub1500s with the SMS-1 and the results are absolutely stunning.

Widget

Regis
08-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks all, I have been enlightened and will work with getting two subs instead of a single unit. I did see the SMS-1 mentioned in a few Google searches, but from what I understand, you can hook up each HGS seperately, just by using the one input on each, either left or right.

The Sub1500's aren't as easy to find as the Velodynes, though somebody in the Los Angeles area had two 4645 18" subs for $450 each, but the industrial look wouldn' go well with the SO (Significant Other!). Another thought was a pair of the JBL L8400, but it seems to not quite be up to the quality and technology of the Velodynes, with their accelerometers mounted on the voice coil and computerized correction of the cone movement.

As far as custom boxes, I don't have any wood working tools, but thinking about it, I'd be curious if any of the Parts Express boxes could be fitted with a long-excursion JBL woofer of more modern design than the 2235H.

grumpy
08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
PE? 2 or 3ft3 sealed boxes?
More modern JBL sub? (that's also available?)

W1500H if you can get your hands on one/some. EQ to taste. Bring power.

Akira
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I built a duo 10" sub that in IMHO ranks up there with the best of them.
These are JBL automotive parts made in China.....I know your thinking-- garbage. BUT YOU HAVE TO HEAR THESE THINGS!

They peak @ 26Hz are tight and lightning fast producing 101db referenced at 2.83volts both channels driven. They are relatively inexpensive but solidly built with dual spiders and severely heavy motor assembly. The only draw back is that they require heavy power...400W each @ 4ohms. I built them to go with some severely modified L100's--sort of the ultimate mobile party system. The L100's can't keep up with these things even with 2405 slots on top!

You can view the entire construction and RTA reading on a past forum posting here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7940
btw: if you need heavy power I have several factory refurbished Bryston 4B's

Regis
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks Akira, I will check out the thread. I do remember the original post and yes, they do look like great speakers.