PDA

View Full Version : Paging loach 71 - - - BGW?

Loud & Clear
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey Tim, What can you tell me about the BGW 103 pre? Not being the 200 series, I was just curious, as if it had the same BGW quality weve come to know??? :)

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I think Tim is still in Vung Tau, so his answer may be slow in coming...the bluebook shows the 103 was produced 78-81 with a MSRP of $439

The 201,202,203 were produced from 77-83 at prices of $499,$399 and $720

thats all I can find. ...all 3 of my BGW pieces are built like MILSPEC and I wud not expect the 103 to be any different.

Maybe he'll set down the 333 (or is it "Tiger" ?? ) and come in off the beach long enough to give you a better answer :beach:

Loud & Clear
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Thank You SEAWOLF97... :)

loach71
08-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Lots of beau coup 333 beer ....("burp"!)
That preamp is the granddaddy of the BGW line.
Very good build quality and design... I would keep not only for its quality of build and sonics but also for its historical relevance.

Loud & Clear
08-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Lots of beau coup 333 beer ....("burp"!)
That preamp is the granddaddy of the BGW line.
Very good build quality and design... I would keep not only for its quality of build and sonics but also for its historical relevance. Thanks Tim, I just bought one on ebay. The buy it now price was $300.00. I don't like waiting around, and bidding, so I just bought it, after looking at your comment on the unit. I'll change all the caps, and make it perfect. I believe it was worth the $300.00. My guess is, they will only appreciate. I'll be running my BGW 250b & 500d with this unit. I will be rebuilding both these units as well. I guess I should post the work. I like to de-solder, and resolder (w/silver solder) all solder joints while I am at it. I am working on an SAE 2200 right now. It is Completely disassembled. Just waiting on power supply caps & my camera, to document the work. :)

loach71
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Tim, I just bought one on ebay. The buy it now price was $300.00. I don't like waiting around, and bidding, so I just bought it, after looking at your comment on the unit. I'll change all the caps, and make it perfect. I believe it was worth the $300.00. My guess is, they will only appreciate. I'll be running my BGW 250b & 500d with this unit. I will be rebuilding both these units as well. I guess I should post the work. I like to de-solder, and resolder (w/silver solder) all solder joints while I am at it. I am working on an SAE 2200 right now. It is Completely disassembled. Just waiting on power supply caps & my camera, to document the work. :)

:banghead: PLEASE :banghead: leave well enough ALONE! If you must solder on an epoxy-glass printed circuit board, use KESTER 44 solder (rosin core, tin / lead alloy). Using another type is a big risk. If the preamp sounds OK, leave it alone. If you notice some noise, first clean the pots and switches with Caig Labs' DeOxit. Devices of this vintage have likely built up lots of "gunk" on their pots and switches. Brian G. Wachner (BGW) spent a lot of time and effort selecting and matching components (both passive and active) for their products -- so replacement of any components on the PCB with off-the-shelf generic substitutes will likely degrade performance.

Loud & Clear
08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
:banghead: PLEASE :banghead: leave well enough ALONE! If you must solder on an epoxy-glass printed circuit board, use KESTER 44 solder (rosin core, tin / lead alloy). Using another type is a big risk. If the preamp sounds OK, leave it alone. If you notice some noise, first clean the pots and switches with Caig Labs' DeOxit. Devices of this vintage have likely built up lots of "gunk" on their pots and switches. Brian G. Wachner (BGW) spent a lot of time and effort selecting and matching components (both passive and active) for their products -- so replacement of any components on the PCB with off-the-shelf generic substitutes will likely degrade performance.Wow Tim, I just wrote a big long reply, and it didn't post. So I re-wrote it, and it didn't post. I couldn't find away to copy my information, so I lost it all, and don't have time to write up another. Basically, the rundown is: I use Kester Core 44, I was just thinking of trying a little silver content, but I will stick to the 44. I also mentioned my BGW 250b. It is in unbelievable shape, almost new old stock. I believe however, I would like a BGW 750e, and 250e. I have a line on a 250e, but will need to rake up a 750e. They will match the preamp, and I need the extra power and metering... I appreciate your help and knowledge on BGW thanks... :)

loach71
08-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Just get another model 250 and the active crossover of your choice..... this would net you a tri-amped JBL system with BGW power... The smoothness of these amps is one of the best kept secrets in the audio universe.. I ould look for a 750 C or D model in EPAY...much lower price.

SEAWOLF97
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
The smoothness of these amps is one of the best kept secrets in the audio universe.. I ould look for a 750 C or D model in EPAY...much lower price.

If I remember correctly...the 750 A,B and C are of one power rating, where the D,E,F are much higher....so if the same price, the D is a better deal than the C model.