PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet problem!! help !!

lasse
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Hallo.
I am a new member at this forum, but i been reading for hours and hours.
I have two altec 604 8k and two altec 416 8a that i would like to make something of........a pair of altec 921 8a,Jbl 2405H somewhere to !!??
Is it a good idea to put them in the same cabinet (Urei 813) or is it better with one cab for the bass and one for the duplex.
Please help me with ideas and suggestions.

Lasse

robertbartsch
08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, I suppose it depends on your preferrence. Are you going to use the drivers in a house setting? If yes, it might be better to house (no pun) the 604s in a lone box and build another set with the remaining drivers.

The 604 duplex drivers are designed as a full range speaker and are very desirable - IMO.

Others here may differ in their views, so do what you like.

PS. Like most wives, mine hates big boxes in "her" house so this may be a consideration too.

lasse
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Well.....I have a pair of borrowd Urei 813 cabs now, and my wife isnt happy.....her suggestion is that i build higher and something more tasteful than the big black cubic box.
So now the 604 and the 416 is playing in the urei cab with the urei xo to the duplex and a digital xo for the 416. It sounds ok , but the cabs are not mine so,so......
one cab to the 604 and one to the 416.....i agree !!
Thanks !!
Well, I suppose it depends on your preferrence. Are you going to use the drivers in a house setting? If yes, it might be better to house (no pun) the 604s in a lone box and build another set with the remaining drivers.

The 604 duplex drivers are designed as a full range speaker and are very desirable - IMO.

Others here may differ in their views, so do what you like.

PS. Like most wives, mine hates big boxes in "her" house so this may be a consideration too.

robertbartsch
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Since I have picked up this hobie once again after a 30 year absence, I have discovered that, BOXES, seem to present the biggest headache!

Most of the vintage drivers now are sold as components only and the buyer must figure out how to complete the system. I attribute this to the high cost of shipping heavy bulky items but it is anyone's guess as to why this has ocurred, I suppose.

So where does one acquire suitible speaker boxes for home use?

In certain cases I have been able to find furniture grade boxes on e-bay that I have picked up from sellers within a few hours or so driving distance from my home. Generally, you can refinish these with some light sanding, some poly coating and re-do the grills with new cloth, etc.

In other cases, I have had a cabinet maker construct new boxes from plans that I have drawn. This tends to be much more expensive, if that is a consideration.

Good luck with the project(s)!

Keep reading here; it is a great resource for all your questions!

robertbartsch
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
...just noticed you also have a pair of JBL 2405 slots; right?

Since some here would argue that although the 604s are a great design, they lack great HF responce, so you might consider using the slots with these drivers.

...I'm not sure about the crossovers that might work in this unusual application, but it is just a thought.....

lasse
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
The "box" isnt the problem, it is what box i will build.
I have build som cabs in my days, but not in this scale.
Heard the 416 8a in an onken cab 20 years ago, dont know what the rest of the system was, but i will never forget that sound.
So now 20 years later i have the 416 and a 604.
The Onken cabinet is to wide.......so if its posible to get near the sound with a higher not so wide box and top that with the 604 in a 5cu cab.
would 9cu be ok for the bas cab.

robertbartsch
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeh, there are several threads discussing box design and size and many include discussions on tuning a box using free software, so have a search and read...

I recently, had a cabinet maker construct a pair of 8 cubic foot boxes for a 3-way system housing a 15" woof, and compression drivers/horns, 2405 slots ,etc..

These things are freq. HUGE for a HT house setting!

The advice I got here was to use a large box to maximize bass responce. This works OK obviously, but they are too big for my personal taste.

...life is a compremise.... in the end, do what you want!

grumpy
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
a few form variations are depicted here:

http://www.studiomaudio.info/onken.html

also try a search over at diyaudio.com, there's a fairly informative
Onken-centric thread that includes a spreadsheet calculator, user
experiences/opinions, etc...

lasse
08-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks, Grumpy.
I`ve lookt at your links and did some calclulations (inch to mm)
So its possible for me to build a Onken cab, but what are the options ??
Basreflex cabs for the Altec 416 8a !!!!????? should i go and try one of the plans i can find here at the forum !!?? maybe a variant of the 612 cab ??:blink:
I have the space (a wife thats loves music.....and me:D)for big cabs.
and its possible for me to get ahold of some Altec or Jbl mid horns with matching drivers.
And i have my beloved Altec 604.

speakerdave
08-05-2008, 06:37 AM
It appears to me that integrating the 416 and 2405H at this time is beyond your present level of technical sophistication and I don't think either is that great an idea anyway. It might be better to build something simpler.

One of the beauties of the 604 is that it is a self-contained system that for music playing is I think quite adequate. A cabinet that will house the 604 and the 416 to play adequate bass together, whether in separate volumes or not, would be HUGE. The UREI box you are using does not play as low as you might be thinking. Those boxes were designed for soffet mounting to support the bass. Also, the supplementary woofer in the 813 is designed for low bass and, quite frankly, the 416 is not. If you are willing to devote that much real estate you would be better off putting the 604 in a small closed box and biamping over to an 18" subwoofer--a JBL 2242 or 2245--at about 100 Hz.

But I think you should consider the Altec 620A box. Using its volume and porting one DIYer has built a box with a smaller footprint that puts the treble horn at ear level. I believe he gets bass down to the low thirties. A similar solution would be the Stonehenge III box. Plans for that have been back engineered and are available on line.

Here's a site with the DIYer billfort's box: http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/

grumpy
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Whatever style of cabinet you like the looks/sound of, I think Speakerdave
is on the right track to start (620A/B cab or Model 18, which is perhaps the
same thing?). If you wanted to later, you -could- make another pair of cabs,
turn them sideways, rotate the 604's 90 degrees, and stack them :)

lasse
08-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I will settle for a9cu/feet cab Ca 255 liters for the 416, will try diffrent types of tuning so i dont know right now where i`ll land.
To the 604 i will make a 5 cu/feet box ca 155 liters tune tu ca 80Hz.
I have the orginal xo for the 604 8k , the 416 will go throu the DCX 24/96 XO for now.
Maybe it will work out ??!!:blink:
Suppose that we skip the 604 and tryed some horns and drivers for the mids and hights.
511 or 811b ,a multicellarhorn??!! Whats your recomandations??
I`m fortun to have a friend that collects and sells all kinds of new and vintige audio so i can try a lot of stuff !!:D
Will start building the bas cabs this weekend.......shall try to take som pictures !!

grumpy
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I will settle for a9cu/feet cab Ca 255 liters for the 416, will try diffrent types of tuning so i dont know right now where i`ll land. Somewhere between 25-30Hz, I would think.
If you are not listening loudly to disco or hip/hop, then it should work.

To the 604 i will make a 5 cu/feet box ca 155 liters tune tu ca 80Hz.If the T/S parameters for 604-8K's here can be trusted:
http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/Thiele-Small.html
5ft3@80Hz seems like an odd choice, but perhaps I am missing something. (?)

Appears as though you have the resources to find what suits you (blessing or a curse? :))
If you try the 811/511 type horns, I would suggest you mount them to a box or baffle
(not free-standing).

lasse
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry....should be about 30Hz for the 604 in a 5cu box.

I`m using the WinISD program to calculate the cabinets and the reflex ports, the program give you both circular and sqare reflex vents.
I will go for a rectangular vent, just for it looks better !!
But is it the best choise soundwise.

lasse
10-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Hallo !!
Here is the result!!
The Altec 416 8a in a 250 liters cabinet tuned to 30 hz.
On top its the 511 b horn with 902 8b driver.
I use the beringer digital XO, and it works nice.....but need some help and ideas on an "analog" filter .

Lasse

matsj
10-21-2008, 03:12 AM
That looks nice :applaud: .
Ashly xr1001 have been discussed before. I have a Jbl m553 if you would like to try.

mats

lasse
10-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Hallo again !!
Stupid of me !!
What i need help with is an passive XO not a analog activ filter.
Think i need to work on my english.:blink:
Lasse

Mr. Widget
10-23-2008, 10:34 PM
What i need help with is an passive XO not a analog activ filter.
Think i need to work on my english.:blink:Don't fret... we native English speakers get confused about some of these terms ourselves. :)

Widget

Zilch
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=197971#post197971

lasse
10-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks Zilch.
Ive got a lot to read !!
Is it better to change to the 811 horn rather than the 511.
With the beringer filter i prefer the 511 with a xo point at ca 500 hz to the 811 at an higher xo point.
Will do som more tests !!!

lasse
10-24-2008, 07:23 AM
hallo again!!
I have the 416 in a 9cu cab tuned to 30 hz.
To match that i have a 808 8a , 902 8b driver i have a pair of 511 ands a par of 811.
The best sound in my preference is the 511/808 8a symbiotic but i feel the need of some extra hights.
so i have the option of the JBL 2405 or the favorit technics 5hh10.
I could use the 511/902 but ..........

I have some options........ testing.....and testing......i have both the beringer DEQ2496 and DCX2496 .
sometimes i`ll wounder if the range of choice makes it harder !!
I´ts allways a comprimise.
I dont have all the skills thats i should like to have to measure all the gear so i really need advise !!

Lasse:blink:

yggdrasil
10-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Try both your tweeters from 9-10K, and report back which one you like the most.