PDA

View Full Version : Retuning needed for 4333?

Doc Mark
08-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Greetings, All,

Just had a thought about the 4333 cabinets I'll be using in my "new" system. I'm going to be mounting my 2235H's in them, and they were originally tuned for the 136A's, if I recall correctly. How is the original 4333 tuning port going to work with the 2235H's? If retuning is necessary, what would you suggest? Slightly longer tube? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
08-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Perhaps its would be most helpful to assemble the parts and see what the sound is like in your environment, at least before you alter something like the port? Just tryin' ta be helpful!

Greetings, All,

Just had a thought about the 4333 cabinets I'll be using in my "new" system. I'm going to be mounting my 2235H's in them, and they were originally tuned for the 136A's, if I recall correctly. How is the original 4333 tuning port going to work with the 2235H's? If retuning is necessary, what would you suggest? Slightly longer tube? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Perhaps its would be most helpful to assemble the parts and see what the sound is like in your environment, at least before you alter something like the port? Just tryin' ta be helpful!

Hello, Heather,

Wise advice, and I was going to do that before I did anything to those boxes, for sure. I was just seeing if anyone else had done a similar woofer swap in the early 4333 boxes, and if they, indeed, felt the need to retune the cabinets. To tell you the truth, and I just mentioned this to Sweet Bride today, I have a very strong feeling that, once the components are installed in these 4333's, we're both going to be flat-out gobsmacked and extremely satisfied!! :applaud::bouncy::D Thanks, very much, for sharing your thoughts, Heather. They reinforce what I was already planning to do, which is good. Fun, that's for sure!! :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

toddalin
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
There is a free program, WinISD, that many on this site have that includes the TS parameters for that driver. You put in the box size and can play with the port lengths and it shows the response graphically.

When you see people's plots on this site, they are typically generated using the WinISD program. The link will take you there.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/WinISD.shtml

hjames
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello, Heather,

Wise advice, and I was going to do that before I did anything to those boxes, for sure. I was just seeing if anyone else had done a similar woofer swap in the early 4333 boxes, and if they, indeed, felt the need to retune the cabinets. To tell you the truth, and I just mentioned this to Sweet Bride today, I have a very strong feeling that, once the components are installed in these 4333's, we're both going to be flat-out gobsmacked and extremely satisfied!! :applaud::bouncy::D Thanks, very much, for sharing your thoughts, Heather. They reinforce what I was already planning to do, which is good. Fun, that's for sure!! :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Well, my current upstairs system is a pair of LE85s (short horns), a set of 2405 slots I added in, and a pair of 2234s (which is just a 2235 without the mass ring). I built a 3133 (4333 design) passive crossover based on a schematic "4313B" posted here a few years back. Its basically a 4333 without the long horn.
A previous version of this system used to live in walnut finish cabinets like yours ... but I had an LE15 for the low driver back then. The L200 cabs looked more spouse-friendly, and with the wheeled plinths I built, are easy to move for cleaning.

The early L200s have 2 ports, and based on a tip from Zilch, I got an adjustable diameter plumbers pipe-cap and closed off one of the ports. (Its in the right port below, painted black) System sounds great, and with the cathedral ceiling in that room, the sound just floats throughout the whole house.

Doc Mark
08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Evening, Heather,

Thanks, very much, for the photo of your upstairs JBL's! Very nice, indeed! As I mentioned, once before, I'm really tickled that a Lady like you loves JBL and has gone to such ends to have the fine systems you get to enjoy! Well done! :applaud:

Sweet Bride is also very appreciative of a good sound system, and has never given me even a tiny bit of grief about having "big" speakers in our living room! This is a true blessing, for which I'm very grateful.

Right now, I'm going to take her out for a nice dinner, as we're celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary tonight! She has been a wonderful wife for all those years, and had endured every hair-brained scheme I've ever come up with, all in good humor and with honest enthusiasm!! I'm blessed, indeed!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

toddalin
08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Evening, Heather,

Right now, I'm going to take her out for a nice dinner, as we're celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary tonight! She has been a wonderful wife for all those years, and had endured every hair-brained scheme I've ever come up with, all in good humor and with honest enthusiasm!! I'm blessed, indeed!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Congratulations. :applaud:

Zilch
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Measure.

Dickason tells you how.... :yes:

Doc Mark
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Congratulations. :applaud:

Evening, Todd,

Many thanks, my Friend! It's hard to believe that so many years have passed by since we took our vows! It's, truly, flown by, and most all of them very happy! Now, it's time for bed, and a new day, and we begin a new year together tomorrow. Cool! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Measure.

Dickason tells you how.... :yes:

Howdy, Zilch,

Good advice, and I've done that before. Most of my test gear is old stuff, but it still works. I have a Techtronics 535, tube o-scope, and two HP tube sound generators, plus a Soundcraftsmen RTA, and also one from Audio Control. I have one old Heathkit VTVM, and a few other assorted bits of gear. But, in the past, it's all worked like a charm to tell me what was really happening with the systems I've built. As I've mentioned before, and I cannot stress this enough: I am no engineer, nor a trained tech, and am just flying by the seat of my pants! "Fasten your seatbelts..... it's going to be a bumpy ride", to quote that esteemed audiophile, Betty Davis!!! :blink::D:bouncy::D As a side note, I use equations from the old Speaker Lab to tune my boxes, and so far, I've been quite happy with the results. I have a Mac computer, and I'm not sure the programs, like WinISD will work on my machine. What say you, Friends? Will it work, or not?

In any case, it's going to be a fun and very rewarding journey!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

grumpy
08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I have a Mac computer, and I'm not sure the programs, like WinISD will work on my machine. It will not, without some pain and $$$...
e.g., you could put something like a Windows emulator (Parallels?) or
boot camp on your Mac.

If you're running a recent Mac w/ current OS, then you might give FuzzMeasure a
whirl...

4313B
08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
How is the original 4333 tuning port going to work with the 2235H's?Just fine, that was the whole point. The 4333 box is so small it completely dominates either the 136/2231 or 2235.

toddalin
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Just fine, that was the whole point. The 4333 box is so small it completely dominates either the 136/2231 or 2235.
Just fine, that was the whole point. The 4333 box is so small it completely dominates either the 136/2231 or 2235.

I'm not sure why these threads have to go on and on...

New people continually come into the forum and are not up on the old threads and don't know what has gone down in the past. Lots of newbies are thrilled with their discoveries, have a hard time containing their excitement, and feel they would like to share it with the forum. Everyone who is "hands on" wants to make the most of their system, and yes they may have questions along the way.

If these threads bug you, perhaps you could ignore them?

4313B
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
If these threads bug you, perhaps you could ignore them?The only thing that bugs me is people without answers tripping over their own feet in their rush to post...

His opening post is very straight forward.

Robh3606
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
The only thing that bugs me is people without answers tripping over their own feet in their rush to post...

Now now

Rob:rotfl:

Robh3606
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Here's a comparison in a "small box"

Rob:)

Doc Mark
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Greetings, Robert, and all,

Robert, thank you, so very much, for that wonderful graphic representation of the two drivers, tuned the same, in the same 4333 cabinet! JUST what I wanted to know!! Though I've never "interpreted" information from such a graph before, to my eyes, I'd say the two drivers were, for all practical purposes, almost identical, and that is outstanding!

I am sorry if questions such as this are annoying to some. I can't hide my enthusiasm for this project, nor my enjoyment of being amongst so many others that love "things JBL", as do I!! I am VERY happy to have fallen in with such folks as you all, and sincerely appreciate any and all information, suggestions, comments, and friendship that is sent my way! I know that, for some of you that have been around the anechoic chamber for many years, this stuff may seem so old hat as to be boring beyond belief. And, for that, I'm truly sorry. But, for me, the ability to ask such questions, and to receive so many great replies, is just wonderful, and much appreciated!!

Thanks to all who have ventured opinions and information! I love sharing my own JBL plans with you, and the fact that you all share your personal JBL plans with the rest of us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

majick47
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I'v tried the 2235H woofers in a setup very similar to H James. My speakers were L200B with LE85 horns, 2405 tweeters and 3106 crossovers. I swapped out the L200B 136A woofers and with the 2235H substituted there was a subtle difference but nothing earth shattering, to me the 2235H sounded fine and I could live quite happily with either pair of woofers.

Doc Mark
08-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I'v tried the 2235H woofers in a setup very similar to H James. My speakers were L200B with LE85 horns, 2405 tweeters and 3106 crossovers. I swapped out the L200B 136A woofers and with the 2235H substituted there was a subtle difference but nothing earth shattering, to me the 2235H sounded fine and I could live quite happily with either pair of woofers.

Evening,

Today, Sweet Bride and I got to meet Grumpy, and Mech986 and his family, and it was truly a fun and interesting experience! We also picked up some of the major goodies for my project, including the 4333 cabinets from Grumpy. I am stoked, excited, buzzing, and any other such descriptive words you'd care to add, to be so very close to beginning my project!! I must agree with you that, from what I've learned, and from my own thoughts on the matter, the 2235H's will sound very good in the old 4333 cabinets. More later. Right now, Sweet Bride and I are flat-out bushed, and are heading for bed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

cooky1257
08-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Hey Doc, 28 happy years, you are a very lucky man, congratulations.
This site will run WinIsd on your Mac through your browser;http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=newdriver

Regards
Cooky

Doc Mark
08-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey Doc, 28 happy years, you are a very lucky man, congratulations.
This site will run WinIsd on your Mac through your browser;http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=newdriver

Regards
Cooky

Morning, Cooky,

Many thanks for the nice comments, and also the link for running WinIsd on my Mac! Both are much appreciated! Sweet Bride is, indeed, a wonderful woman, and I cannot imagine not being married to her! She's almost always in a fine humor, and like me, takes pleasure in all good things that come our way, both big and small. For me, she's the best person I could have married, and we both consider our finding one another to be a gift from God, and are more grateful than we can tell you! Thanks, again, Cooky! I'll play with that link and see how it looks. Fun to have the ability to use such a tool, even if the program, itself, will not work well on our machines. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc