PDA

View Full Version : Moving up from stereo to surround

pigeonca
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
In my living room I have a pair of JBL studio monitors (4408A) and a Sony receiver (STR DA 1000 ES). I'm very pleased with this setup, but we're remodeling and I want to add a center speaker, rears and a sub to make this into a nice home theater (5:1 'cause that's what my receiver allows).

Any suggestions on what I might buy? Or should I just go out and purchase 6 new speakers? Thanks in advance for any advice any of you mavens might provide. I'm a total nube on this stuff.

hjames
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
In my living room I have a pair of JBL studio monitors (4408A) and a Sony receiver (STR DA 1000 ES). I'm very pleased with this setup, but we're remodeling and I want to add a center speaker, rears and a sub to make this into a nice home theater (5:1 'cause that's what my receiver allows).

Any suggestions on what I might buy? Or should I just go out and purchase 6 new speakers? Thanks in advance for any advice any of you mavens might provide. I'm a total nube on this stuff.

Well, the first bet is really to figure out what kind of a budget you have, and then you can plan from there. I'll tell you, I just got a new center speaker, its an LC2,- part of the Studio L series and I am really impressed. If I was doing a system from scratch today I'd get a pair of L880s for the front L & R and a pair of L830s or L820s for the rears ... and an L8400 sub (or two) to go with them.
But thats just me, based on the last couple weeks ... you might do as well to get another pair of 4408s or 4410s and keep the tonality matching what you already have.

pigeonca
08-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello HJames and everybody else who can help,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I'd love to keep my 4408's if possible, and then add on. Since it's not easy to find a single 4408 for the center speaker, do you think another JBL model might match? If so, any suggestions? And then of course I need suggestions re. the rear speakers and subwoofer.

Regarding sounding good, I'm not as picky as I used to be. Middle age has somewhat punished my ears, which were once dog-like, but no longer. I can still hear the difference between my Control 1's in my bedroom and the 4408's downstairs, but the nuances evade me now.

Thanks,
pigeon

SEAWOLF97
08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I almost agree with HJ, except I wud purchase 4412's to use as mains and use your 4408's for the rears.

4410 is a little too clinical/sterile and for HT duty, I think the 4412 ( 12 in woofer ) mite be a better choice.

Titanium Dome
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I almost agree with HJ, except I wud purchase 4412's to use as mains and use your 4408's for the rears.

4410 is a little too clinical/sterile and for HT duty, I think the 4412 ( 12 in woofer ) mite be a better choice.

I'd agree that putting 4412s in front and the 4408s in back is a good strategy. They can often be found for $200 to $300 bucks a pair. I just got a pair off ebay for $110 a month or so ago. It'll cost me $60 to get the 12" woofers refoamed, so it's about $170 for a really decent pair.

Occasionally I see a single 4412 on ebay or craigslist. Otherwise, follow Heather and get an LC2 for the center. Add an L8400P as a sub, and you'll have quite the system for way under a grand.