PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify these cabintes

Daveaa2
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I purchased a pair of VOTT cabinets but can't seem to find any information on them anywhere, there are no markings / serial numbers to be found inside or out. The speaker mounted inside is a MODEL JBL D130 15" woofer, they sound great and will knock your socks off. The speakers point towards the rear of the cabinet and reflect back forward out of the cabinet. I will attach a photo any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

John
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Not sure if it is a factory altec cabinet , but it is a "W" Bin cabinet. Designed for sub duty. I think the JBL 130 is the wrong 15" for that cabinet thou.

subwoof
08-03-2008, 07:12 AM
that is a homemade cabinet built to the JBL ( keele ) design - the plans were sent to jbl dealers in the late 70's and it was designed for the K151 alnico 18" woofer.

If you look close you will see the T-nuts for the 18" frame - why someone bolted a 15 in there is a mystery.

The horn is a 1/8 mouth type so for full horn loading to 35hz you need EIGHT of them stacked....or one helluva mouth extension.

I built a pile of those back them for SR companies and they were terrible in singgle use so I made scoops for those apps.

sub

Daveaa2
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
The Horns are 811B's with 802D's and both the horns and 15" woofers are connected to JBL model 3152 crossovers. I got these from a friend of mine, he had them in his theatre room, and they sound great. I am no audiophile by any means so maybe that’s why they sound so good to me. I drive them with a 270 watt per channel McIntosh amp.

Subwoof - When you say homemade cabinet do you mean someone built these other than JBL? They are very well done IMO, not that someone with the proper equipment couldn't build these.

John - the term Sub Duty, im assuming this means low bass like a subwoofer?

The cabinets are very large! is there a way I could build a smaller cabinet for these and get the same sound? I was told the speakers were designed only for rear projection and couldn’t face them forward......

Thanks again!
Dave

subwoof
08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
JBL did not have a "custom" shop back then - the plans were included with a "K" series pamphlet and with one of the technotes ( around 1978 ). Many sound company's built them and when used for installs ( like yours ) used particle board which will self-destruct if roughly handled...

The cabinet is a very efficient horn type that was designed for long throw ( not sub!! ) applications, and your woofer is a thin paper midrange type so getting usable response below 50hz will be very hard.

I suggest looking for a rear loaded scoop design such as the 4530 / C34 for your use or you could build simple vented boxes and tune them low but you will still have the woofer's TS limitations.

sub

PS - will be gone till wed AM.

57BELAIRE
08-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Cerwin Vega used this design (B48 MF) for years. I hauled TWO of them
around as my bass guitar bottoms...:blink:

They are long throw boxes so they wern't that loud onstage but
20 feet away...:bouncy:

Daveaa2
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
They are quit amazing at 14' :bouncy: away but are eating my living room alive! :( I am ultimately going to try to sell these so if anyone is interested they can email me @ [email protected] :)

Fred Sanford
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
We built a bunch of them, too, from the JBL plans.

je

Daveaa2
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I am going to place a couple more pictures as there seems to be some interest in my selling these. I will only part with these as a set to include the Cabinets, 15" speakers, Horns and Crossovers, I will not break them up to sell separately. I am still in the process of investigating what these things are worth and am in no big hurry so if you are interested please contact me with an offer and we'll see what happens.

PS I pulled the speakers in order to take some pictures which revealed one of the cones has a dent, this doesn't affect the sound quality of these speakers at least not from my listening experience.

Dave

Zilch
08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I am ultimately going to try to sell these....Who'd have guessed? :blink: