PDA

View Full Version : Face up or face down?

jbl
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I'll be storing my JBL 2225H away in a closet for an extended period. I have the original box and filler. Should the drivers be stored face up, or face down?
I would think face up would be best. Less strain on the cone and spider.
What would you suggest?

Ron

boputnam
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes. ;)

And rotate them... :yes:

3dbdown
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
For what it's worth, the graphics on JBL's packaged transducer cartons provided for shipping and storage face down, with graphics reading correct. This allows removal by grasping the magnet structure when removing from carton. Also prevents weight of cone from sinking into the gap. However insignificant that might or might not be.

Rick

John
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Face down. The cone will only drop as far as the shipping insert will allow.

Face up it will sink and sink and sink and then you will show up looking for help:o:

Rolf
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I'll be storing my JBL 2225H away in a closet for an extended period. I have the original box and filler. Should the drivers be stored face up, or face down?
I would think face up would be best. Less strain on the cone and spider.
What would you suggest?

Ron

Use them or sell them. They does not feel good stored in a closet.:barf:

JBL 4645
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Well place them back in the box the same way they came out! LOL sorry, I’m not laughing at you, its just the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.:D

Mr. Widget
07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
For prolonged storage neither face up nor face down is recommended. They should be stored vertically and rotated every six months or so as Bo suggested. I don't remember the model number but JBL discovered this the hard way some years back when a large number of stored drivers had to be reconed after they were left face up or down for a prolonged period.

Widget

John
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
For prolonged storage neither face up nor face down is recommended. They should be stored vertically and rotated every six months or so as Bo suggested. I don't remember the model number but JBL discovered this the hard way some years back when a large number of stored drivers had to be reconed after they were left face up or down for a prolonged period.

Widget

Trust me it was face up!!!

If they are face down how could they sag outwards if the shipping insert is in the way?

Maybe if G.T. would chime in you guys will put it to rest?

On the other hand forget bothering Greg, use them or pass them on:bouncy:

Hoerninger
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
What about face to front (vertical)?
I have done it for years.
And I have listened to music sometimes which does not change the static forces. :hmm:

You have done it too. ;)

Rolf
08-01-2008, 01:08 AM
???? If Used: Turn them 180 deg in about 2-5 years. In box (as you asked) : magnet down/magnet up 2-5 years turning. What is the big deal?, but if you don't plan to use them, then sell them! ... To me!:D

Chas
08-01-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that Giskard covered this many moons ago. His recommendation was vertical with periodic rotation.

jbl
08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
I do plan to use them in the future and the 2235H as subs so I won't be selling them. I bought them new back in 1985. I have the advantage of knowing their history. Never over driven or had the amp clip so selling them would be foolish.

My guess is as others have stated. Stored boxed in the vertical position. Same as the way they were mounted in the cabinet.
I didn't rotate them in the 23 years I used them, but storage is different. The cone/assembly is in a static position when stored putting constant pressure on the assembly in one position. I'll rotate them every 3 to 6 months to be on the safe side.

Ron

ratitifb
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
His recommendation was vertical with periodic rotation.regarding Newton's law that seems to be evident :blink:

subwoof
08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
depends if you're married or dating BUT...

I have purchased cloth surround speakers NIB that were stored for 20+ years face down ( as packed by JBL ) and others from a closed reconing center that were face down on a shelve for 10yrs +

NO sag or issues at all. The suspension is stiff enough to resist gravity and the normal elenments.

HOWEVER the foam surround cones DO have a more flexible spider and of course a softer surround so they should be sideways and rotated as per widget. I do this with mine after they have been reconed every 2 months or so.

Another suggestion is to short the terminals with a piece of wire - that way casual movement is damped by the motors back EMF.

sub

ratitifb
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Another suggestion is to short the terminals with a piece of wire - that way casual movement is damped by the motors back EMF.

subvery interresting idea : can we recommend the same for shipping ?

subwoof
08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes - in fact the original cabaret series that used 1/4" switching jacks did this. But some over qualified (not) musicians would plug into the "out" jack and short their amplifiers...oops...

sub

jbl
08-01-2008, 07:49 AM
depends if you're married or dating BUT...

I have purchased cloth surround speakers NIB that were stored for 20+ years face down ( as packed by JBL ) and others from a closed reconing center that were face down on a shelve for 10yrs +

NO sag or issues at all. The suspension is stiff enough to resist gravity and the normal elenments.

HOWEVER the foam surround cones DO have a more flexible spider and of course a softer surround so they should be sideways and rotated as per widget. I do this with mine after they have been reconed every 2 months or so.

sub
Good point subwoof. I remember reading about shorting the terminals.

Ron

1audiohack
08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
If by "casual movement" you mean countering the effects of gravitational force during storage, the shorting wire will have zero effect.

ratitifb
08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
If by "casual movement" you mean countering the effects of gravitational force during storage, the shorting wire will have zero effect.Lenz against Newton :blink:

1audiohack
08-01-2008, 08:22 AM
We are talking storage right? Force plotted against a significant amount of time.

Not to argue.

The next time you recone a woofer with an opperational voice coil, solder the leads together and after you cut it loose, turn it upside down.

John
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
If by "casual movement" you mean countering the effects of gravitational force during storage, the shorting wire will have zero effect.

Agreed this works only for rough shipping.

Maybe someone should build a machine that you can load up all the woofers some guys are collecting that flips and rotates and what ever else you want it to do to your woofers and it can all be controlled by a timer.;)

Never need to worry ever again:p

1audiohack
08-01-2008, 08:20 PM
They make them for watches.:)