PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Day !!

boputnam
07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
It's Jerry week, friends, the annual celebration of Jerry's life and music. Birthday is 1 August, Friday and the events in the Bay Area culminate Sunday 3rd Agust with our own Jerry Day.

Line up and Schedule

HIGH NOON
- Loco Bloco - an Excelsior neighborhood based Latino inspired young folks rhythym and dance troupe. This is Jerry's teenage neighborhood, who support the Jerry Day festivities and musical growth of their youth. Great stuff, and great way to start the day!

12.30pm
- Workingman's Ed - a Bay area based deadheaded band of great musicians, featuring Pat Nevins (Ragged Glory) and Stu Allen (JGB Band).

2.45pm
- revisiting the JG Acoustic Band - a newly assembled deadgrassy quartet featuring Sandy Rothman (mandolin), Stu Allen (guitar), Justin Purtill (upright) and Brian Godchaux. Don't miss this treat!

3.30pm
- JGB Band - featuring Melvin Seals (B3 and twin leslies...), Stu Allen, Justin Purtill, Mark Corsolini and of course Shirley and Cheryl!!

6.00pm
- hard end, permit restriction. So, come early and don't miss a thing.

It's free.

www.jerryday.org (http://www.jerryday.org) - more details and band links.

Also, KFOG, 104.5 FM, has a morning show Jerry Day teaser this Wednesday at 07.30am - some live acoustic treats!

See you, Sunday! :dancin:

Oldmics
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Bo

Digital consoles making an appearance this year? :banghead:

Oldmics

boputnam
07-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Digital consoles making an appearance this year? :banghead:
Hey...

Uh, yea. :o: Actually, by choice. :)

I had first spec'd the 4K we are moving into the Sweetwater in October (a true legend and beauty console, as you would know) but the load-in is back-breaking and hazardous for that 1,000-lb behemouth and associated outboard gear (up a pretty steep hill with no access for trucks - total hand carry) . We've done it two-years in a row, but a most trusted mentor has become quite fond of the Digidesign Venue, so I've re-spec'd to that.

Rolf
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Excuse me but ... What the h#ll is a Jerry day?

hjames
07-29-2008, 04:27 AM
Excuse me but ... What the h#ll is a Jerry day?

Heck, I'm on the East Coast of the US and I know about Jerry Day. :applaud:

Its a festival/event to celebrate the birthday of Jerry Garcia. You may have heard of the band he used to play guitar in, the Grateful Dead?
Perhaps you heard some of his chops playing with Ornette Coleman, Merl Saunders, and bunches of other musicians?

Well, I'm sure Bo can inform you better than I. He's mentioned it here a few times, over the last few years ...

FWIW, the Wikipedia page on Jerry Garcia is here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Garcia

If you scroll way down that page you can read:

"On July 21, 2005, the San Francisco Recreation and Park Commission passed a resolution to name the amphitheater in McLaren Park "The Jerry Garcia Amphitheater."[61] The amphitheater is located in the Excelsior District, where Garcia grew up. The first show to happen at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater was Jerry Day 2005 on August 7, 2005. Tiff Garcia (Jerry's older brother) was the first person to welcome everybody to the "Jerry Garcia Amphitheater." Jerry Day is an annual celebration of Jerry in his childhood neighborhood. The dedication ceremony (Jerry Day 2) on October 29, 2005 was officiated by mayor Gavin Newsom."

Oh, and to bring this whole thing round back to JBL ... they were big fans of JBL speakers ...
See - http://www.audioheritage.org/html/history/jbl-pro/jbl-pro.htm

Also, see wikipedia ...

the Grateful Dead used to travel with HUGE loudspeaker system ...
The Wall of Sound was an enormous public address system designed specifically for the Grateful Dead's live performances by legendary audio engineer Owsley "Bear" Stanley. The Wall of Sound fulfilled the band's desire for a distortion-free sound system that could also serve as its own monitoring system.

Stanley, along with Dan Healy and Mark Raizene of the Grateful Dead's sound crew and Ron Wickersham, Rick Turner, and John Curl of Alembic, combined six independent sound systems using eleven separate channels in an effort to deliver high-quality sound to audiences. As Stanley described it,
"The Wall of Sound is the name some people gave to a super powerful, extremely accurate PA system that I designed and supervised the building of in 1973 for the Grateful Dead. It was a massive wall of speaker arrays set behind the musicians, which they themselves controlled without a front of house mixer. It did not need any delay towers to reach a distance of half a mile from the stage without degradation."
The Wall of Sound consisted of eighty-nine 300-watt solid state and three 350-watt vacuum tube amplifiers, driving the speakers with a total of 26,400 watts RMS. This system projected high quality playback at six hundred feet with acceptable sound projected for a quarter of a mile, at which point wind interference degraded it. The Wall of Sound was the largest portable sound system ever built (although "portable" is a relative term.)
Vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and piano each had its own channel and set of speakers. Phil Lesh's bass guitar was piped through a quadraphonic encoder that sent a separate signal from each of the four strings to its own channel and set of speakers. Another channel amplified the bass drum, and two more channels carried the snares, tom-toms, and cymbals. Because each speaker carried just one instrument or vocalist, the sound was exceptionally clear and free of intermodulation distortion.

see - http://dozin.com/wallofsound/

Rolf
07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi of course I have heard about Jerry Garcia..... and the Grateful Dead..... and the Wall of Sound.

But I did not know there was memorial day for him.

Thanks for the info:)

boputnam
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Its a festival/event to celebrate the birthday of Jerry Garcia. You may have heard of the band he used to play guitar in, the Grateful Dead? Perhaps you heard some of his chops playing with Ornette Coleman, Merl Saunders, and bunches of other musicians?There were many, many incarnations and Jerry projects (http://www.thejerrysite.com/Members.jsp;jsessionid=6952C9084EB7BB1DCEF8EDC9A41 9894A) outside the Grateful Dead. including, the inimitable Jerry Garcia Band, which featured Merl Saunders/Melvin Seals, John Kahn, Ron Tutt/David Kemper, etc., and which toured whenever the Dead were idle. The current day incarnation, The JGB Band (http://www.jgbband.com), is headed-up by Melvin Seals (http://www.melvinsealsmeltingpot.com/), and Stu Allen (http://www.stuallen.net). Lucky me, I got the nod a year-ago, and have been supporting them as their FOH engineer. Great opportunities like that come along rarely...

Well, I'm sure Bo can inform you better than I. :no:

You done us Jerry fans and deadheads, mighty proud, Heather! :)

But I did not know there was memorial day for him.Hi, Rolf...

It's actually a week, bracketed by the dates of his birth and death. Nationwide here in the US, and in other countries as well, his life, music and art are celebrated.

Oldmics
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
No report about Jerry Day 2008 yet ???????

Waddaya still recovering from the "contact buzz"? ;)

Oldmics

Mr. Widget
08-06-2008, 12:18 AM
No report about Jerry Day 2008 yet ???????

Waddaya still recovering from the "contact buzz"? ;)

OldmicsDude... it's in August. :D

Widget

Oldmics
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I"m in August ,arn"t you?

Man,that must be a huge cloud of spleif floating around to change your perception :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Oldmics

boputnam
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
No report about Jerry Day 2008 yet ???????Hey... Sorry - I am feeling my age! I did a quick trip to OH to work the 3G's festival outside Columbus for JGB Band, and then wisked back for Jerry Day, the next day.

It was a load-in/load-out day. You know the drill... Wake at 04.30, load-in at 06.30, generator up and system tuning 09.00, soundcheck 10.00, gates at 11.00, downbeat at High Noon, close at 6.00pm, finish load-out about 8.00pm, home by 10.00pm. That is all fine and good, but there's this hill, see, where FOH lives, and, well, I walked that route a bunch of times... I counted a dozen trips at load-out alone.. I know: :baby:

Waddaya still recovering from the "contact buzz"? ;)Good old SanFran - it's a wide open thing and the SF PD just let a good thing be. It's quite relaxed....

hjames
08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
That looks like such a hoot - I gotta get out there some year ...

Been a long time since I saw the Dead with the wall of Sound at RFK Stadium (DC) in '73 - amazing acoustics, and yes, gotta feel sorry for the roadies who handled all of that gear!
Didn't realize until today that the week encompassed his birth and his death.

Thanks.

Hey... Sorry - I am feeling my age! I did a quick trip to OH to work the 3G's festival outside Columbus for JGB Band, and then wisked back for Jerry Day, the next day.

It was a load-in/load-out day. You know the drill... Wake at 04.30, load-in at 06.30, generator up and system tuning 09.00, soundcheck 10.00, gates at 11.00, downbeat at High Noon, close at 6.00pm, finish load-out about 8.00pm, home by 10.00pm. That is all fine and good, but there's this hill, see, where FOH lives, and, well, I walked that route a bunch of times... I counted a dozen trips at load-out alone.. I know: :baby:

Good old SanFran - it's a wide open thing and the SF PD just let a good thing be. It's quite relaxed....

boputnam
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey oldmics - here's one for ya!

The acoustic artists couldn't get there for soundcheck, and sandwiching their set between two jambands worried me enough, so, I brought my mando and did some (rather pathetic...) licks and sang a bit, all mics open, to help the monitor engineer tease feedback from the mixes.

It was 10am - not many folk around, by plan. But the keyboard player snuck a shot. :scold: I'll mute his input during the next show... :rotfl:

(he's so goofy, the date is wrong in his camera!)

Mr. Widget
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I"m in August ,arn"t you?

Man,that must be a huge cloud of spleif floating around to change your perception :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Oldmics :rotfl:

Widget

Mr. Widget
08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey oldmics - here's one for ya!

The acoustic artists couldn't get there for soundcheck, and sandwiching their set between two jambands worried me enough, so, I brought my mando...Look'n good Bo!

Seems you had quite the turn out!

Widget

boputnam
08-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey, now...
Jerry Day '08 on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNf275LHus)

First of many, I expect.

No clue's who's vid this is, but they're up in the hill top "cheap seats" - even there, you can get a sense for the mix. :)

:dancin:

mikebake
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Ohio, huh? How was that show?

boputnam
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
JGB were on fire. Truly, a couple of great nights...

boputnam
08-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Tomorrow, high-noon!! FREE...

Jerry Day (www.JerryDay.org). Come join us.

Mr. Widget
08-01-2009, 08:21 PM
What exactly do you mean by "High" noon?

Widget

Oldmics
08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
What exactly do you mean by "High" noon?

Widget

I think its a "going green" thing :D

Oldmics

boputnam
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
I think its a "going green" thing :D

Oldmics:rotfl:

You'd LOVE this rig!

FOH: Digidesign SC 48, with a Summit in-line on the L/R outputs.
Monitorworld: PM5000
Mains: L-Acoustics ARCS 4x per side; 2x center fills
Subs: L-Acoustics SB218 2x per side
Lab Gruppens all around.

This amphitheatre is pretty steep, so a line-array just ain't right (plus we cannot have it throwing into the neighborhood...). And, I pretty much adore the ARCS... :o:

spkrman57
08-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Bo,

It would have been nice to hook up with you, even for a quick visit.....

Next time let me know in advance if you can....

Regards, Ron

Hey... Sorry - I am feeling my age! I did a quick trip to OH to work the 3G's festival outside Columbus for JGB Band, and then wisked back for Jerry Day, the next day.

Oldmics
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Bo

How did it go?

I was at a Digi demo awhile back and it did make sense,still big bucks.

Seems like you are using a slightly smaller rig than previous years? The ARCS are really cool but those subs :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

I love my 5K,but I hardly get to mix these days. :( I"m usually the guy putting the cabinets up into the sky.

Oldmics

boputnam
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
How did it go?Hiya, Oldmics...

It went very well, thanks. Great attendance - press reported 2k but by all the other errors in their report they obviously weren't there. Most figured on +3.5k, about like last year. Small amphitheatre with inconvenient parking so that's about right.

The SC 48 is nifty - basically a souped-up Venue but with the analogue inputs on the rear of the console (rather than in the stage box A/D converter). They are going after the M7CL market with this - WAY more console for about the same money ($25k).

It's the same rig we had the prior two-years. About right. Picture a small, Grecian amphitheatre - crowd tight to the stage, with very limited area "on the rail", and rising quickly. Also, tight SPL restrictions so line-arrays would only bring new "friends" to FOH... :(

I don't have any good shots from stage - the photographers are slowly getting them up. Here's one from FOH - a real birds eye view.

And another of the mosh pit, SR - you can see how tight it is down there...

mikebake
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Lots of gray hairs...............

boputnam
08-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Lots of gray hairs...............:rotfl:

Yeah, particularly at FOH!

Zilch
08-05-2009, 07:13 PM
The guy in the white tshirt: :hmm:

Puzzled.

[We invented moshing.... :D ]

Oldmics
08-06-2009, 07:57 AM
The guy in the white tshirt: :hmm:

Puzzled

Naw,I think hes a "skate punk" trying to figure out how to get his feet on those BIG skate boards. :p

Oldmics

So do we refer to the audience as "Jerrys kids"?

Rolf
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I wish I was Jerry. If so, it would be my day. :p

hjames
08-08-2009, 05:07 AM
I wish I was Jerry. If so, it would be my day. :p
Yes, but you would be deceased, so you would not enjoy it as much as you can enjoy today, tomorrow, and the next!