PDA

View Full Version : JBL Sub1500 with a Crown K2 ?

jarrods
04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a Sub1500 driver currently holidaying on a ship somewhere between PartsExpress and Australia; and when it arrives here it will be going into my B380 cabinet.

There is a Crown K2 on sale near me for about half retail as it is a showroom demo unit. I’m not sure about these new generation amps with switchmode powersupplies and/or PWM output stages. I mean the specifications look great on paper... DF > 3000 so one would expect good control of a high current demanding driver like the Sub1500.

Anyone own one? Anyone heard one? Comments. Are they better suited to sub-bass and LF rather than HF or full-range? I can imaging that all the filters they must have to use to annihilate the switching noise must have some detrimental effects on top end performance.

jarrod

Alex Lancaster
04-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Jarrods:

I have a K2 running 4 2245H´s to 280Hz, and I am very happy with it; For 1 sub 1500 it would be way ample IMHO.

mikebake
04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I have seen amps of this design to be considered in the sound reinforcement community as well suited to sub use. i.e. QSC PLX 3402.
My smaller PLX's of this variety are very strong on sub work. Very.

jarrods
04-05-2004, 08:23 PM
well thanks guys; you inspired me to drive out for a listen. he fired it up on some 18" LF cabinets and yes it shook their hire warehouse. i also listened to a pair of the Australian Monitor AM3002 and they are 'beasts' as well on LF. my brother and his friend wanted the AMs so he knocked the price down a bit more when i took all 3 amps. good deal it was about 40% of Aus RRP and in good nick as was only a showrooom demo unit.

(if you USA guys want a shock go here: http://jands.com.au/
type in 'Crown K2' in the Pricelist search box..... now that is what we ozzies have to put up with down here... note that 1.0 AUD = 0.75 USD)

now if i only had a few thousand miles of speaker wire to test it on my Sub1500:-) but seriously this amp has a DF of over 3000 its output drive must be about 0.0025 ohms! so just how critical does the speaker wire become and are banana plugs ok. they must have more resistance than that in the plug to socket interface???

my local hobby shop has some OFC 273 strands of 0.12mm cable but I can't find out how many ohms per meter it is.

-j

jarrods
04-06-2004, 01:52 PM
http://www.calmont.com/tech_11.pdf

all sizes 56AWG to 4/0AWG. many stranding options. gives diameter, resistance etc. seems like a good reference.

JuniorJBL
04-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I really like my K's as well. I have 2, 1 for my mains (L250's) and 1 for my 2 (soon to be 4) SUB1500's.
I find them to be a great sounding amp both HF and LF.
My 2cents
Shane:D

Mike Caldwell
04-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Hello
The K2's are great amps, I put them in a system installtion
a few years ago. They sound great, produce very little heat and
have a sealed chassie...no fans to make noise and filters to clean.

Mike Caldwell

Mr. Widget
04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by JuniorJBL
...and 1 for my 2 (soon to be 4) SUB1500's.

As I recall you were looking for some subs that wouldn't require the real estate of your 2242s for your small listening space.

Small listening space...FOUR Sub 1500s!!! Wow. I guess you really love bass.:D

Widget

JuniorJBL
04-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Wow. I guess you really love bass.:D

Widget

No just clean undistorted/authorative VLF. I do enjoy having the "Feeling" of 20HZ. Also not to mention the over/undertones of the music. These are just the driver to complement the LE14H-1 because of how smooth this woofer is down low.
But I would think you know that already as you have said:

"All I am listening to is bass":D

Also I find having an amp that can not be overdriven during high passes (this relates to your listening habits) makes for a very enjoyable image/soundstage from my L250's.;)

Anyways Fun Fun Fun:D
Shane

P.S. Still trying to get a good 3D map of the tweeter housing.