PDA

View Full Version : Altec 808a driver, 811b horn, 416a woofer--Worth anything?

JonB
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
I recently came into possession of these when a relative passed away. The HF driver and horn was in one cabinet, and the woofer in another. Both drivers produced sound when hooked up to a receiver, but the woofer sounded weak. Not sure if the coil is shot or if it was just because of the 16 ohm impedance. Can anyone tell me if they are worth anything, and if so, how much? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JonB
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
More pics. Again, any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Brennan
07-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh, the stuff is worth some dough, at least $300 if everything works right. Check and see what the stuff is going for on ebay, look under vintage speakers.

doodlebug
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Looks like pretty nice examples of Altec drivers. I note there's no crossover evident nor mentioned. The cabinets look custom made although the lattice grilles look like Altec products.

Have you tried looking through the Altec product brochures in the Altec Library at here at Lansing Heritage?

Cheers,

David

Gary L
07-20-2008, 01:27 PM
It appears that you have the basics of an Altec Velencia system #846.

416-8A woofers, 806-8A HF drivers and 811B horns.

Your cabinets are Homebrew and appear to have an expanded metal grill of either steel or aluminum and painted.

They would require a standard 800 Khz XO or the need to be bi amped for proper function.

At times, the woofers might fetch around $300 and the drivers and horns could be right around the same.

I think it is safe to say the cabinets could be firewood given the rediculous cost to ship them.

Nice speakers for a garage or basement system if audiophile quality is not a high priority.

Gary

hjames
07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Correct me if I've misread the thread, but - you don't have a pair of anything but cabinets - you have one woofer, one horn, one tweeter.

Gary L
07-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Correct me if I've misread the thread, but - you don't have a pair of anything but cabinets - you have one woofer, one horn, one tweeter.

Good catch there Heather and any price I gave above was for pairs and even then a long shot in todays market.

I still think the cabinets equal FIREWOODS:D

Gary

JonB
07-22-2008, 02:25 PM

You are absolutely correct, sorry if that was not made clear. It's still a mystery to me what these would have been used for. Oh, someone else was right that there is no crossover. Also, based on what I've learned, I think the woofer magnets need to be re-gaussed or whatever you call it. Other than that, they're in really fine shape.

Thanks everyone for all the help. This seems like a great forum. Based on what you guys are saying, it sounds like it'll be worth throwing them on eBay if nobody here shows any interest.