PDA

View Full Version : K2 S7500 x-over available?

vernb
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to find the layout of the K2 S7500 x-over layout anywhere?

If not I could do with the S9500 x-over. I have only found the M9500 x-over layout and don't know how much they differ....

Thanks

Vernb

NB: I have tried SEARCH

speakerdave
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
For the S7500 I doubt that the crossover for the S9500 would actually be the same. In any case, I believe the crossover for the S9500 and the M9500 would be the same, since the difference between the two systems is just the size of the enclosures.

Edit: My above remarks are based on confusing the S7500 and S5500. I see what you are getting at, since the S7500 uses the same drivers, but has just one woofer. I've actually been wondering about the same thing myself.

speakerdave
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
It would be best to ignore my preceding post (and maybe this one).

In the S9500 there is a low pass network in each LF box. The lower box also contains the HP network. On the connector panel there is a switch to adjust the HF sensitivity by 6dB for use in an S7500 system. The manual states that the S7500 "may be converted to the S9500 at any time with the addition of a second low frequency unit." Based on LOGIC, not on direct information, I would think that means the low pass network in the S7500 is the same as the one in the S9500.

I have not built passive networks for my 2-1400nd systems, but on looking at the schematic for the low pass section of the crossover for the M9500 as given in these forums, my INEXPERT OPINION is that I don't see how it works for a 4-ohm load, but I do see how it works for an 8-ohm load, since under an 8 ohm load I think that the first pole, the 4.2 mH inductor, would be a staggered pole, that would begin to trim the woofer response at about 300 Hz, where the 1400nd response starts to rise. It's a little confusing that the crossover for the M9500, unlike that for the S9500 is in an external box. I don't know based on information why this is true. My GUESS is that, since the M9500 system was targeted to the commercial market, it might have been an extra cost option, along side the DX-1 with personality cards, which would have been the recommended first choice. POSSIBLY the external box contains one high pass and TWO low pass circuits like the one in the schematic we have. But that is just my GUESS. From an engineering economy standpoint this duplication would make sense, since it employs an already engineered crossover instead of designing a new one. Plus, it would mean that all systems in the S7500-9500 series would have the same LF response profile, except for the greater VLF extension of the M9500. I have asked for photos of the M9500 external crossover from two posters who've had it in their possession and--no response.

If my supposition and amateur reading of our M9500 low pass circuit are correct, then you would build one for each 1400nd woofer, whether you are using two or four.

Please remember this post is VERY suppositional.

Some more knowledgeable and/or factual input here would be appreciated.

David

vernb
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
It would be best to ignore my preceding post (and maybe this one).

Some more knowledgeable and/or factual input here would be appreciated.

David
Thanks Dave. It makes sense. Let's see if the S7500 HF filter shows up. Probably it is the same.
Vernb