PDA

View Full Version : JBL L200t3 Questions

dslroxx
07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I purchased a set of L200t3 speakers back in ~1990 new. These have served me well over the years. I recently noticed they didn't sound as good and, sure enough, upon inspecting them, I found the surrounds were rotted and holey. I was going to scrap them and just buy something else but I discovered, through this site mostly, these were quite rare and sought after speakers. I had no idea. I really love these speakers. Being the do-it-yourself kind of guy I would like to try and repair these - but I have no experience at all. Would the resident gurus please answer a couple of questions for me:

I found a replacement kit for the surrounds on speakerrepair.com. Is this a quality kit or is there something better available?

If the surround have deteriorated this badly, is it possible the rest of the driver is shot, too? If so, what would be my next course of action? Reconeing? Complete driver replacement? Where would I obtain these parts and services?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

grumpy
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/colorado.html

Search here for "rick cobb" regarding DIY surround kits.

I would practice on something else before attacking your 2214H (?) bass drivers,
as it -is- possible to screw it up (then a recone could be required)... or farm it out
to a reputable professional.

A recone is preferred (back to "factory fresh" spec's/condition).

A re-foam is often a less expensive, but workable band-aid
or used a last a last resort when recone kits are no longer available.

Oh, and "hi" and "nice speakers" :) (I've been told my manners suck).

-grumpy