PDA

View Full Version : What model VOTT are these?

oldsoundz
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I have searched the library as well as google and a bunch of threads on this forum and cannot find a pair that look like these.

Any help is appreciated...

CONVERGENCE
07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
They look like upside down Simplex. The horn would be on top.

These are very old simplex . I don't know all of their models. Some were even bigger than the ones you have.

RacerXX
07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not an expert, but they look like upside down A7 or 825 cabinets that have been modified. The casters look like an afterthought, and the brace across the flare of the horn is unusual. Never seen any Altec cabinets like that and I've looked at pretty much all of them. Here's a great site that has an incredible amount of photos of Altec speakers:

http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/voiceofthetheater.html

Go to "Speakers" and click on "Altec Gallery".

oldsoundz
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the input folks. That gives me some direction. I didn't consider the thought that they could be upside down.

I will keep looking...

CONVERGENCE
07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't want to drag on with this thread but I found a picture of old Altec Simplex speakers inside a theater.

Hope this will help.

RacerXX
07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Ah........ I saved that picture, zoomed in and.......... maybe it's me, but those do not look like similar cabinets. The flare of the horn in the photo he posted looks much narrower (width-wise) than the one in the Altec / Simplex set-up. Over the years, I've seen other Simplex cabinets too (on the "Unofficial" Altec site), but never ones that resembled the first picture in this post. Aren't those just wings on the sides and bottom in that theater photo? Just guessing.......:blink:

oldsoundz
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
A little further info on how they looked when I got them. The horns were mounted in the upper opening. They were hung with a bracket that is bolted to the top/bottom of the cabinet.

The wood only looks altered in one place inside one cabinet. Everywhere else it looks like original paint leading me to believe the cutouts were there already. The crossover was mounted on the bottom and there was just enough wire to make the trip to the horns.

The components were all early black/gray crinkle finish.

Maybe this helps. I have been looking and still don't see any ringers. I wish the previous owner hadn't glued formica to them. Then I could look at the Vott label is on the side and know for sure if they were flipped over.:blah::blah:

CONVERGENCE
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Small wings with double woofer front loaded horn.

If any one comes across an Altec Simplex cabinet brochure please let us know.

oldsoundz
07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
The gent that I acquired these from also had a bit of Simplex projection equipment and an IPC center channel.

Could these be IPC? Maybe the left and right?

Tom Brennan
07-18-2008, 09:58 AM
The gent that I acquired these from also had a bit of Simplex projection equipment and an IPC center channel.

Could these be IPC? Maybe the left and right?

That looks like a version of the Shearer folded horn bassbin. There used to be zillions of those things used in rock and roll PAs back before they got all modular.

oldsoundz
07-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Here is a pic of the ID on the bottom/back of the folded horn.

And one of the horn and driver for that go with it...