PDA

View Full Version : Can you repair a pushed in speaker?

Akira
07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Just received a 2203a through an ebay bid. The seller shipped it face down flat.:( As a result the cone is pushed in and the spider assembly permanently inverted. The movement in the cone is good and unabstructed and the coil is not hitting it's backwards excursion.

Can this unit be fixed? is it possible to reapply an new spider assembly without destroying the coil?

Robh3606
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
My 121A's had the same issue. I suspect they were stored in their boxes for a while and the spider was pushed in/back a bit from the storage. It may come back a little after a day or so if it was just from the shipment. I used a hair dryer to heat the spider up and let gravity do the work. It helped my 121's but let see what the reconners have to say. They may have something better up their sleeve.

Rob:)

subwoof
07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Get 4 long bolts ( 10-32 ) and 8 nuts. The idea is to use the bolts to allow the speaker to be face down but OFF the surface. You need at least 3/4" clearance above the mounting gasket.

Then wait a few days.

Some people have had good luck using a small paintbrush and dousing the spider but you would have to ask edgewound on the fluid type. It might of been MEK or Acetone.

A few times I have done this and used a pair of empty toiletpaper rolls wedged in between the frame and cone to deliberately offset the cone in the "out" position.

Unfortunately if this was stored for a long time, you are sunk...:)

The spider is the most unique part of this cone assembly.

sub

Akira
07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
As the seller does not want to take responsibility, I have posted these pictures to display what happens when you do not ship a speaker properly.
I have also asked the seller to view the damage as well as your comments.

As you can see the alnico driver has a flat gasket and now the cone has been flattened to the same height.
The ferrite unit has a higher gasket and can be stored in the downward position without damage.

I have informed him when sending and receiving speakers it is common practice to use the styrofoam shell that comes with recone kits to protect the cone from this type of damage. The seller claims 'Ted Weber' ships all drivers like this. Ted Weber???

So can the spider be replaced?

subwoof
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Your ferrite 2203H has a non-standard gasket. *all* of the foam surround cones protrude slightly above the factory gasket so that is not an apples to apples comparison.

For the short duration shipping normally takes, the surround should not deform permanently. Ask him how long it was "packed" or stored facedown...

Also show us a *clear* picture of the cone - the surround looks wrong from the fuzzy side angle.

sub

Robh3606
07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
The ferrite looks like it was refoamed at some point.

Rob:)

Akira
07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
The ferrite was refoamed recently, but the gasket is intentional as the 4315B box uses the 'grip' style anchor points.
Also, the advertised picture does is not appear to be the same as the unit received. The unit I received is the earlier 'grey' model
paint they used before JBL went black and the magnet is not rounded as in the 'ebay' picture. (it could be just the picture) Also this surround seems to be very soft compared to my ferrite model which looks and feels like the one in the 'ebay' pic.

Robh3606
07-07-2008, 09:59 PM
OK that's not right. He put up what looks like NOS pictures. I was wondering about the color but didn't know if it was the picture or the driver.

Rob:(

robertbartsch
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Did the shipper use insurance? Did the damage result from ruff shipping or bad packaging?

I had a guy ship me two 4312 grills that were packed in one wrap of bubble wrap. It arrived in 8 pieces. He said he has shipped hundreds of grills the same way and no issues!

I have had others ship using the United States Postal service which arrived 21 days late!

People on E-Bay do dumb stuff!

Sorry to "hear" about your loss; this is not your issue, so make the seller pay or collect insurance!

subwoof
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
The magnet is the correct rounded ( with taper ) version and the right color. There were NO pro model black alnico magnets ( consumer did use a K140 mag for the 136/124 types ).

Blow up the ebay pix and compare the serial numbers to what you received.

From the auction" It is a 12 inch, it says "2203 A 8 ohms serial 12522 "

Agreed - the ebay pix looks like a brand new recone. The one you have looks dusty / lighter.

Also the styrofoam "shells" do not come with any JBL recone kits - only new complete speaker have them.

sub

Akira
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
From the auction" It is a 12 inch, it says "2203 A 8 ohms serial 12522 "

Wow...good eye. Yes, this is the same serial number.
The seller, while not accepting responsibility for a bad pack has been very honest about trying to help solve this problem. I have tried the suggestion about inverting the cone on bolts to try and bring back the spider to it's original position and it seems to be working. I have only been applying gentle pressure on the cone and will try and play it after it's 3d day...tomorrow.

robertbartsch
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
OK; keep us informed on how it works out!

subwoof
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
To "help" the woofer / spider stretch roll up some paper towels and stuff it into the space between the cone and frame on opposing sides.

Here are a pair of woofers I got in march that were really pushed in due to long-term horrible packing.

I made rings of cardboard, MEK'ed the spiders and let them sit like this and now they are fine.

sub

SMKSoundPro
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
how many 147's do you have, mike?

subwoof
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Just the one and it's a 147RV that came in a trade-in with a 1950 B2 that sits in the living room. I have a K145 and a 375HP that are going into it and I have a EV 18" patrician cabinet in the corner with a K151 in it for the pedals..;o)

I have taken in bikes, tarantula's, furniture and such from customers....
Still waiting for the Ukrainian twins...:o)

sub

Akira
07-10-2008, 05:45 PM
MEK'ed the spiders? not sure what you mean.

I am trying your suggestion but, I am only extending the spider a little past the neutral point. I take it out once a day to check progress.
Day 1: partial recovery, foam still flat and inward movement much easier than outward movement.
Day 2: almost neutral recovery, foam surround is once again round and no longer flat, and the in/out movement appears equal tension both ways.
Currently on day 3.

subwoof
07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Methyl Eythel Ketone is the glue solvent ( and so is acetone ) that is used for cleaning off extra glue and softening joints for re-alignment. You CANNOT get any on the foam - it will dissolve it!!!

Sometimes it will allow a spider to shrink back to it's original position if it was stretched. This is a last-ditch effort unless you do it all the time and know the expected results.

I have done a few times and it has worked but the fumes will make you dizzy...but then so does the price of the 2203 recone...:)

sub

Akira
07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Once again the forum has come through.
The speaker seems to be functioning properly.
As I now have a mismatched pair (1 alnico and 1 ferrite) while the tuning and sound seem to be the same, there may be a slight level difference.
I will be trying to either fix the other ferrite or eventually replace it. But, for now a small tweak on the 1/3 octave.

subwoof
07-13-2008, 06:03 AM
And so ends this episode on care + feeding your foam woofer. Next week on the speaker channel norm will show how to build a walnut veneer cage for it and discuss what power to give it!

Channel 8