PDA

View Full Version : Model 14 drivers T/S

WildWest
04-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone... :) I have some model 14 woofer drivers that I would like to use in new cabinets for bass frequencies on my main system. My MTM speakers are great for mid range and highs but I need to fill in the bottom. These nice big 12 inch woofers might work well if I can find out more about them. Maybe they don't have the excursion capability that I need. Anyway, I sure would like to build proper cabinets and use these drivers pushed by a Marantz 240 amp if I can get away with it. Maybe these drivers might work best in a bass horn type cabinet but I really don't have the room to have such a box needed for that. Anyone know much about the woofer driver of the Model 14? Thanks!

boputnam
04-04-2004, 01:07 PM
WW...

I, offhand, don't know the part number of the Altec Model 14 LF - others here surely do. But, until they pitch-up, could you post the part number and I'll check for the Thiele-Small data in the two modelling programs I've got...

WildWest
04-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Thank you boputnam. Sadly, I don't know what woofer was in the Altec Model 14 so I can't give you a part number. But like you, I would bet the farm that someone here does. I hope to hear from them so I can get to the bottom of things.

boputnam
04-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, these guys http://nleinternet.net/alteclansingunofficial/Diavc.html
post this:

MODEL 14 / LF / RCA34633 as the "original part number". We need the model number, which so far I cannot cross reference.

I think the protagonist for that site is Todd W. White of this Forum. When he finds this thread, he might shed some light. Maybe you could send him a pm...

WildWest
04-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Thank you very much! I searced for Todd's name here but it didn't turn up.

boputnam
04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Use the "Members" button, and look under "T"...

Anyway, here's a Link to his noise: http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=81

Good luck - but do let us know what the model number is so it will be resident here... :yes:

Todd W. White
04-04-2004, 03:34 PM
The Model 14 woofer never had an official model number - only an internal Altec part number - because it was proprietary for the Model 14 and, as I recall, the 9842-8A/F Studio Monitor.

The Model 14 has really nice bass for a speaker it's size - if you are having problems with these in the Model 14 box, I don't think you'll find they work better in a different one.

WildWest
04-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks Todd for adding that! Well you see it's like this... I have these model 14s and while they are ok speakers. The cabinets are rough and frankly the sound in the mid range and upper frequencies can't touch my MTMs with the Raven pure transducer ribbons. But I don't have the mid to lower bass dynamics that I want and was hoping to us the drivers out of the model 14s to achieve this. You know, build a nice electronic crossover. Use my tube mono blocks for the MTMs and a Marantz 240 amp for the bass woofers. But I can't build a cabinet without knowing the T/S parameters of the woofers. It's beginning to sound like I am outta luck on this. To bad as I have no use for these model 14's...sigh :(

boputnam
04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey, Todd...

Found the a few of the Links on your site are busted. Like the one that should point to Consumer whatever. Like this one: http://nleinternet.net/alteclansingunofficial/consumerloudspeakers/index.html
Might have been intermittent, but you might wanna surf around on the site, and see...

Todd W. White
04-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Well, the links aren't actually busted - they're just under construction. I do what I can to upgrade the site when time and energy permit.

Lately, I've been short on both.... :(