PDA

View Full Version : Can we call this a system?

Guido
07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
On tuesday we finalized a custom Home Theater installation.
The pics should give you a good impression of what's going on here.

Left is Sascha (the owner), right is me (installer).

Setup:
L/R vertical 4435 replicas with aquaplassed 2426 drivers and full cc networks for passive and active operation.
Center is a Klipsch horn based system. The Synthesis dealers here are simply dumb so we decided to avoid them and buy no synthesis center.
Surround speakers are Control 5

CD and other high quality signals are preamplified by a Rotel preamp and can be manually swithed to the DIY HQ active crossover.
Blue ray and Sat Receiver signals go to a Rotel AV Receiver and can also be switched to the active crossover.
This way we can have REAL stereo operation AND HT operation.

The active crossover is taylormade for the 4435 in active configuration.
The active crossover sends the signals to a pair of DIY Aleph 30 amps (Mid/High) and DIY Aleph 2 amps (Low)
Amazing sound.

Signals are also splitted to an active bass EQ network and then amplified by a Velodyne SC1250 amp.
This amp is an extreme powerful (1250W) class D amp and operates a JBL 4645C sub.
Sub can be used in stereo operation if desired. The 4 2234's alone are also not too bad though.

Comments to the sound are useless. One must hear it to believe :bouncy:

Oh, not to forget the 42 inch Full HD TV ;)

THIS IS FUN!!

Guido
07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
......and you can see it!

pos
07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
That is really impressive Guido! Congratulations :applaud:
Does the active crossover also handle the 100Hz 6db/oct filter for the helper 2234 ?

Guido
07-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Does the active crossover also handle the 100Hz 6db/oct filter for the helper 2234 ?

No, as in the original 4435 this is handled passive.

Robh3606
07-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Looks Great!!

What's with the center?? Does it stay on the floor?? Do you have a sled/stand to aim it up at the listening position??

Rob:)

4313B
07-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Cool! Nice job!

Regis
07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Awesome home theatre! I can see where the priorities lie here. Most of the population would run the biggest screen they can afford and then go get a Bose "wife-style" sound system to run the sound. This is very much the opposite idea. Run the biggest system you can and screw the TV!:D

Guido
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Run the biggest system you can and screw the TV!:D

He!
It is already a 42 inch screen. OK, together with those huge speakers it looks tiny :D

Guido
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
What's with the center?? Does it stay on the floor?? Do you have a sled/stand to aim it up at the listening position??

There is no more space left inside this wall of sound :(

spkrman57
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
But I would love to hear that one!!!

Treated diaphrams and CC crossover sure sounds like it would sing sweetly!

Great Looking system!;)

Cheers, Ron

Robh3606
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
There is no more space left inside this wall of sound :(

Well in that case why not borrow an idea??

toddalin
07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
It is far more important to get the center speaker up in line near the main horns/monitor than it is to display the amps. It looks like the cabinet could accomodate a center speaker and certainly it would if the shelf were removed.

Vocals on the floor... :blink:

pos
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
As I understand it this system is more aimed towards stereo listening than HT. This little Klipsch center and the control 5 could not rival with these mains anyway :blink:
You would at least need a "classic" 4435 as center and some 4425's for rears for this :bouncy:

Robh3606
07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
It is far more important to get the center speaker up in line near the main horns/monitor than it is to display the amps.

As long as you are within about 2 ft you should be OK. He could use a stand and angle the center up at the prime spot if he doesn't want to change the rack. In my case my center is above so I angle it down. It's close to my L/R horns axis though about 3" apart. I tried a low center below the TV and every time there was a pan across the front you could hear the "dip" as it came across.

Guido
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
It is far more important to get the center speaker up in line near the main horns/monitor than it is to display the amps.

It is never important to display amps. Here the task is to have them free standing. Those beasts are class A and produce more heat then your bathroom heater. In this case all together 1,000 Watts of heat.
So it isn't a good idea to hide them behind or underneath something.

Forget about the center. It will find a place. After listening to this setup for 5 minutes you don't care about center position anymore. :p

toddalin
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Forget about the center. It will find a place. After listening to this setup for 5 minutes you don't care about center position anymore. :p

Obviously, you are not much into home theater. The center channel is the most important channel of all. Nothing is worse in HT than not having intelligible dialog. :blink:

Skywave-Rider
07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow! Let the walls come crumbling down!

Impressive.:D

The little Klipsch center, does it hold up with the rest?
(For dialog purposes.)
What model is that?

Titanium Dome
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Guido

I like a system that has symmetry both aurally and visually. Nicely done.

Unfortunately, you are not telling us the whole story, so if you please, explain this shot in more detail and tell us about the sub.

Guido
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Obviously, you are not much into home theater. The center channel is the most important channel of all. Nothing is worse in HT than not having intelligible dialog. :blink:

OK, you win. I'm dumb :o:

Guido
07-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Guido

I like a system that has symmetry both aurally and visually. Nicely done.

Unfortunately, you are not telling us the whole story, so if you please, explain this shot in more detail and tell us about the sub.

On top of the 4435 are DIY Aleph 2 amps for lows
On top of the rack are DIY Aleph 30 amps for mid and highs
Next level:
Left is a DIY active crossover. Same characterisitcs than the 5135 with 4435 cards but improved design with BB opamps.
Center are two switch boxes to switch the active crossover and sub to Rotel Preamp or Rotel AV Receiver
Right are a Sat Receiver plus a Philips blue ray player
Next Level:
Left Rotel Preamp and CD Player
Right Rotel AV Receiver

The Sub is a JBL 4645C (with 2242HPL). It is driven by a Velodyne SC1250 amp. EQ and subsonic filter is provided by a small active EQ Box produced by a local supplier.
The bass quality is stunning.

And YES, the little Klipsch works fine within a reasonable volume level and even a bit higher.
And NO, it can't keep up with the rest at ear destroying volume levels :p

Titanium Dome
07-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you for the extra information. :yes:

Jakob
07-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Nice work Guido!

What's the name of the company who makes the bass EQ unit?

Guido
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Nice work Guido!

What's the name of the company who makes the bass EQ unit?

http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en

You can only use it with a decent measurement software to adjust it. The scales are completely wrong.

pos
07-07-2008, 02:16 AM
hmmm interesting, and not too expensive either!
Do you think it can replace a Bx63 and provide the needed 26hz boost / high pass ?
Is it plastic or metal?

Guido
07-07-2008, 04:08 AM
hmmm interesting, and not too expensive either!
Do you think it can replace a Bx63 and provide the needed 26hz boost / high pass ?
Is it plastic or metal?

Bass Boost no problem

But it can't replace a BX63 as the BX63 provides a bridge circuit to make a mono amp out of a stereo amp AFAIK.

Metall

pos
07-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Bass Boost no problem

But it can't replace a BX63 as the BX63 provides a bridge circuit to make a mono amp out of a stereo amp AFAIK.

Metall
but in your mesurements does it appear that the combinaison of its -supposedly- flat high pass filter and a tad of boost at the same frequency can simulate the resonant high pass filter of the bx63 accurately enough?

EDIT: I think I will order one!

Guido
07-07-2008, 06:33 AM
EDIT: I think I will order one!

That would have been my suggestion. Just try it!