PDA

View Full Version : Dahlquist DQ-LP1 crossover

rj2077
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
can i use this crossover on a set of 4350's/4343's? it has a 6 db slope, will it damage the horns? can it be modified to work accordingly? can something be placed between it and the HF amp? i did not do all my homework and bought this item on an impulse. help is appreciated.

regards,

Mr. Widget
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
can i use this crossover on a set of 4350's/4343's? it has a 6 db slope, will it damage the horns?It seems you probably need a better understanding of how these things work if you are going to play around with this stuff at this level. I appreciate your fearlessness jumping in and going all Gonzo, (The reference is to Dr. Thompson and not our former member.) however I am afraid you may not be successful in alignment jamming etc. if you don't really know what you are doing.

Anyway, in answer to your question. No You will not hurt anything. The 2202 midbass woofer can take all the power you are likely to throw at it and the rest of the system is protected by their own networks. With the Dahlquist crossover you need to know the input impedance of your HF or main amp. Based on that information using the manual, you can look up the correct value of resistors that will be required to get a desired crossover frequency with the Dahlquist. I'd suggest trying several frequencies starting at 300Hz and working upward. You can use the dials on the crossover to adjust the low pass filter on the woofers, but again, I would experiment. It certainly will not give you the results that JBL expected, but it is possible with care to get results that may be quite pleasing... I am really not sure how it will ultimately work out, but I am certain that it will not be a simple solution. I do think the Dahlquist LP-1 is a superior crossover, but this is a slightly strange application for it.

Good Luck and have fun! Let us know what you discover.

Widget