PDA

View Full Version : James B. Lansing Award

indycraft
06-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I acquired this on ebay this week. Not really sure how I feel about having it. Any thoughts?

SMKSoundPro
06-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I meant to bid on it, also and was going to either:
a. have a plaque made at the trophy shop and attached, but was not able to come up with the proper verbiage.
b. have the plaque say: born year - death year
c. list of notable contributions to the science of early audio devices
d. or just keep it as it is, as sometimes less is so much more.

It seems odd that for those of us that tend to speak into a mic for a living, words are hard to come by when talking about a man and his quest for getting the sound of the actors to be heard in the great movie palaces of the day, and later sound stages, engineering studios, home hifi...

I know this is lengthy, and can only add that I, too, was thrilled to see this award listed on ebay, but ultimately knew that I was not worthy of receiving it as I have made no major accomplishments towards the advancement of audio engineering sciences as those of Mr. James B. Lansing.

Scotty.

indycraft
06-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I was not so much thrilled to see it up for sale but rather puzzled. The plate has a flaw in it so it would be my thought that it was rejected........a new one made with this one not being delivered to JBL/Harman. It was also and is my thought that this plaque should never had made it into the public so to speak.
With that in mind I am inclined to send it to JBL so they may do with it what they will.

For the very same reason you mentioned it is uncomfortable for me to have it.

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

glen
07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
. . . it is uncomfortable for me to have it.

Hey Indycraft,

I think you should keep it, consider it a sort of trust that you are holding for future lansing audio fans who would
certainly find it of at least some minor interest.

The only info about this award I found on the web was in reference to outstanding customer service, which is certainly fine, but wouldn't feel as awkward as holding an award meant to recognize an extraordinary achievement in audio engineering.
In fact I would view your re-creation of the foam grilles as an "outstanding customer service" that would definitely make you one of the best qualified folks in the forum to hold it.

http://www.sovico.co.kr/about/info_prize.asp

1995-1996
JBL PRO
JAMES B. Lansing Award - (JBL Professional 50TH Anniversary)
Outstanding Performance Recording & Broadcast Vertical Market

1991-1992
JBL PRO
JAMES B. Lansing Award - Outstanding Performance Consumer Products

1989-1990
JBL PRO
JAMES B. Lansing Award - Distributor of The Year (Asia/Pacific)

http://www.morgansound.com/index.html

James B. Lansing Award
"In Recognition of their outstanding achievement in sales, customer service, and business integrity" for 2001, 2002 and 2004

indycraft
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the kind words. I will give your ideas some thought.

1audiohack
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Why worry?

You cared more about it than anyone else who saw it on the world wide garage sale. That says alot.

Think of all the other JBL artifacts we keep alive, in use and out of the landfills that others think is Just Big and Loud.

Be glad to have it, I would be.

sheltiedave
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Actually, that might be a good idea for the plaque.

Have it be a roving ambassador, send it to the best and most deserving forum contributor of the quarter or year.

There are a LOT of good people who are fantastic contributors to this forum and fostering good will amongst JBL owners and enthusiasts. Taken in the right vein, this may be a great way to reward enthusiasts. :applaud: