PDA

View Full Version : Question on 30Hz CD

geode
06-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Hello All
My first post on this site, although I am a member on the AK site. In fact I recognize many members on this site as also being members on AK. Both are GREAT sites. I have a question concerning the 30Hz CD which comes in the refoam kit I have ordered. I read BoPutman's wonderful sticky on refoaming. I am still somewhat confused as to how the CD ensures proper centering of the VC. Or is this still a manual step and the CD is only for moving the VC in order to listen to "Rubbing" sounds. Also, why leave this CD running continously while the glue is drying. I'm sure there are easy answers, but this refoaming is all new to me. Thanks.

geode
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Well, it seems the answers to my ???s just popped up on "Similar Threads." This one was particularly helpful http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5486.

Zilch
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Welcome, Geode! :thmbsup:

boputnam
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I am still somewhat confused as to how the CD ensures proper centering of the VC. Or is this still a manual step and the CD is only for moving the VC in order to listen to "Rubbing" sounds. Also, why leave this CD running continously while the glue is drying. geode...

In-case questions linger: The 30Hz run at a 1.5 - 3 voltage drive provides a gentle "fluttering" of the cone, at a low frequency range within it's nominal output range. With the gentle fluttering you can readily hear any rubbing of the voice coil. A higher frequency could be used, but might interfere with audibility. The low voltage drive is critical since the basket is in free air.

Leaving the CD running during glue drying is only part of it - you need to be listening the entire time, too. This is necessary as the proper glue is slow-setting. The minute stress(es) on the cone-spider assembly related to its positioning in the basket will make it migrate during glue drying. Some baskets are worse than others.

geode
06-28-2008, 06:29 AM
geode...

In-case questions linger: The 30Hz run at a 1.5 - 3 voltage drive provides a gentle "fluttering" of the cone, at a low frequency range within it's nominal output range. With the gentle fluttering you can readily hear any rubbing of the voice coil. A higher frequency could be used, but might interfere with audibility. The low voltage drive is critical since the basket is in free air.

Leaving the CD running during glue drying is only part of it - you need to be listening the entire time, too. This is necessary as the proper glue is slow-setting. The minute stress(es) on the cone-spider assembly related to its positioning in the basket will make it migrate during glue drying. Some baskets are worse than others.

Thanks Bo. When you say use 1.5-3.0 Volts, how are you achieving this range. I was thinking of using my CD player connected to an integrated amp played at just enough volume to see the cone move. Am I ontrack here.

boputnam
07-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Am I ontrack here.Yea, I suppose so. Be VERY careful there is nothing more than a gentle, quiet fluttering of the cone.

Sorry for the delay - been away...

Chas
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Yea, I suppose so. Be VERY careful there is nothing more than a gentle, quiet fluttering of the cone.

Sorry for the delay - been away...

And, don't block the rear vent.:)