PDA

View Full Version : refoam in North NJ?

brad347
06-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Hello, new member here.

I have a pair of 122a woofers that need refoaming. Can anyone recommend someone in the north NJ area that could do this for me?

Thanks a million!

robertbartsch
06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
See these authorized JBL repair sites:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/new_york.html

I would not consider using anyone other than an authorized JBL dealer since they use JBL parts but some people may dissagree.

brad347
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks. I actually had consulted that list (or rather the NJ one) already, and attempted to contact the one closest to me, but the phone number gave me an error message and I'm not sure they're in business anymore. The second one has a long turnaround and the third is really far from my house. Maybe I'll just play the waiting game with the second one, or drive across the water to NYC (was hoping to avoid that!)

robertbartsch
06-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Try Flatbush NYC; they are decent.

Anyway, since these speakers are valuable, I would be careful who you use. I bought two Altec cabinets from a guy who took the speaker boxes in for repair to a non-authorized dealer. They came back with non-Altec drivers and the rest is history.

Take a few pictures before you send anything in for repair or better yet, drop them off personnally and make them give you a receipt that lists the drivers, serial numbers, etc. for your protection.

brad347
06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Try Flatbush NYC; they are decent.

Anyway, since these speakers are valuable, I would be careful who you use. I bought two Altec cabinets from a guy who took the speaker boxes in for repair to a non-authorized dealer. They came back with non-Altec drivers and the rest is history.

Take a few pictures before you send anything in for repair or better yet, drop them off personnally and make them give you a receipt that lists the drivers, serial numbers, etc. for your protection.

Gabriel Sound, authorized JBL service center in Pompton Lakes, is going to do them. They were having problems with their phone earlier today. I'm driving them up there and will record the serial numbers, etc. as you suggest. I'm taking only the drivers, removing them from the cabs.

Thanks!

robertbartsch
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
...they are not supposed to use anything other than JBL parts, I suppose, but it would not hurt if you told them specifically that you want only JBL parts.

They may charge you a little more than a generic speaker repair shop, but, in the long run, you will not regrete it.

brad347
06-23-2008, 09:04 AM
...they are not supposed to use anything other than JBL parts, I suppose, but it would not hurt if you told them specifically that you want only JBL parts.

They may charge you a little more than a generic speaker repair shop, but, in the long run, you will not regrete it.

I asked about that on the phone. The guy I talked to was the owner's son, and he said his dad is the only one allowed to touch vintage JBL stuff. He assured me they only use JBL parts and load them from the rear like they're supposed to. He quoted me $55 per, that seemed fair enough to me.

Robh3606
06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Hello brad347

JBL only supplies complete recone kits. There is no such thing as an Authorized JBL Refoam. Any surrounds from any reconner are aftermarket/ NOT JBL parts. You need to get the correct diameter and stiffness. You also want them on the back of the cone like the original.

Just because they are an authorized reconner doesn't mean much. Not all of the service centers have the same level of workmanship.

Rob:)

brad347
06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Hello brad347

JBL only supplies complete recone kits. There is no such thing as an Authorized JBL Refoam. Any surrounds from any reconner are aftermarket/ NOT JBL parts. You need to get the correct diameter and stiffness. You also want them on the back of the cone like the original.

Just because they are an authorized reconner doesn't mean much. Not all of the service centers have the same level of workmanship.

thanks for that tip. I'll inquire when I drop them off. Is there an aftermarket kit you would recommend? I am not buying complete recone kits just to take the foam from them.

Robh3606
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Hello brad347

JBL kits come assembled so the foam is aready glued to the cone. I and many others have purchased foam from Rick Cobb "Looneytunes" on Ebay. I do my own refoams if I don't have recones done. It's a low cost alternative to recone kits which can be quite expensive. So I can't recommend an aftermarket kit. If you don't recone with a real JBL kit there is no guarantee what you are getting. That said many people have refoamed including me and been very happy with the results. Here is a picture of what a JBL recone kit for your woofer looks like.

brad347
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I just dropped the woofers off, and told the guy I wanted to make sure they would use as close to the right weight and material as humanly possible. Another guy behind the counter stood up and clapped for me, so I take it to mean they are sympathetic to the cause. ;)

He said people come in for refoams asking if they can "upgrade" to another material so it doesn't rot and he always advises them against it.

So hopefully they will come out well.