PDA

View Full Version : Reconing LE15

Val
06-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I've got two LE15's that have damaged voice coils. I'm thinking about getting them reconed for a project. I'm wondering what my options are.

Thanks.

subwoof
06-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Good example of what happens to voice coils when the foam is gone but the record keeps playing..;o)

You have limited options as to what cone kit will fit due to the very deep mag gap - and they are all $$$..:(

Happy hunting....

sub

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/pdf_nav_parts%20lists.html

Mr. Widget
06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I've got two LE15's that have damaged voice coils. I'm thinking about getting them reconed for a project. I'm wondering what my options are.

Thanks.If you want to keep them original, you will need to have someone put C16R2215 kits in them. From the "goes into list" they are $180 ea. While that is a fair amount of money, they are still available and your woofers will be brand new again. If they were abused, they may need a magnet recharge as well.

Widget

Robh3606
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
If they were abused, they may need a magnet recharge as well.

They are underhung he should be OK

Underhung woofers (LE15 and such) midranges, tweeters and compression drivers do not have sufficient back EMF fields to push the operating point of the structure below the knee. They are essentially stable regardless of input signal.

Per GT

Rob:)

Val
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Good example of what happens to voice coils when the foam is gone but the record keeps playing..;o)

Yes, that's exactly what I think happened. I inherited four LE15's so I have to guess the situation. Two of the LE15's came with rotten foam surrounds and were ok once I replaced the surrounds. The two with white surrounds that had gone rigid are the ones damaged as you see.

You have limited options as to what cone kit will fit due to the very deep mag gap - and they are all $$$..:(

OK - good to know that parts are available. I poked around the JBL
Prof site and found that they charge $36 for 15" recone labor. So I guess I'm looking at $180 + $36 each. Does the factory do quality work or is it better to go with an independent? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks!

Val
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
If they were abused, they may need a magnet recharge as well.

Interesting. Is there a simple way to test if the magnet still has enough juice?

neanderthal
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Personally as much as a JBL recone kit is and the labor to install I wouldn't second guess it.
If they were mine I would have the magnets recharged and have piece of mind they are 100% when done.
I just don't like to cut corners or save a few cents when I shouldn't of and then say " I wish I would of " or " I should of " later. Orange county speaker recharges the magnets and are in California .http://www.speakerrepair.com/services.html
Orange County Speaker
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
(714) 554-8520

Val
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Personally as much as a JBL recone kit is and the labor to install I wouldn't second guess it.
If they were mine I would have the magnets recharged and have piece of mind they are 100% when done.
I just don't like to cut corners or save a few cents when I shouldn't of and then say " I wish I would of " or " I should of " later. Orange county speaker recharges the magnets and are in California .http://www.speakerrepair.com/services.html
Orange County Speaker
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
(714) 554-8520

I appreciate your comment and thanks for the referral.

John
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM

But if you do not know the what the condition of the magnets are when you send them in, how can you really be sure anything was done to them???:(

I mean you can see the recone with your eye's but the magnetic charge is hard too see!:blink:

Robh3606
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
But if you do not know the what the condition of the magnets are when you send them in, how can you really be sure anything was done to them???:(

If they are doing things right they should have a gauss meter with a probe that they can slip into the gap and measure the gap flux. They should do it before to see if they need it and after to verify it meets spec.

Rob:)

Val
06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
...the magnetic charge is hard too see!

Yes it is. I plan to let the professional I choose make the call. Thanks to all who have commented. I'll update the thread after they are done.

OC Speaker
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Neanderthal, thanks for the referral.

Val, we can recharge your magnets and recone your LE15 speakers for you. Yes, we do have a gauss probe to test the magnets. If your LE15's have never been recharged then I can guarantee they are going to need recharging.

We highly recommend recharging any Alnico magnets that are over 30 years old. Just about every Alnico magnet speaker we get in for repair that's 30+ years old is down in gauss. Some of the very old speakers (50+ years) are down as much as 40%!

If you have your speakers reconed by us, we charge $25 additional per speaker for the magnet recharging. We charge $55 per speaker to recharge the magnet if no reconing or repair is needed. Many people send us their vintage Alnico speakers (that work perfect) and just have us recharge them only. And just about every time someone sends us a perfect speaker for a magnet recharge only, they always call or email to tell us how amazing their speakers sound after the recharge. FYI: There's no way to test the gauss of the magnet with the recone kit in the speaker, but the speaker can be recharged with the recone kit in the speaker.

I noticed your LE15 had the yellow/white surrounds. This type of surround is no longer available. When we recone your speakers they will have the gray foam surrounds. We buy the parts directly from JBL, so they are 100% original JBL parts. The recone cost for the LE15 is $230 per speaker plus shipping (about $25 each). JBL unfortunately, had a price increase July 1st. So the price is now $230 instead of $180, as Mr. Widget mentioned.

If you wish to ship us your speakers, please make sure you go to our website and fill out the packing list.
http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSship.html

You are more than welcome to call us Toll Free at 800-897-8373 (M-F 9am-5pm Pacific Time)

Regards,
Bryan Sunda
Owner

Orange County Speaker, Inc.
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
800-897-8373 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
714-554-8520 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/

Val
07-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Just to close this thread out...

I've decided to hold off on reconing these for now. I was planning to use these to make a sub but, given their low Vmax and the cost to recone and recharge them I'm going a different route.

For less than the cost of two recones/recharges I have picked up a new old stock 2245H on ebay. I will open up a thread on the DIY forum for it's design. Lots of good posts here helped me pick the 2245H. I'm jazzed to get started.:bouncy:

Thanks to all for your comments. It really helped me to make what I think is a good decision.

OC Speaker
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Val, if your 2245H is older than 10 years then you're probably going to need it re-edged too. Hopefully you picked up one that's not very old. We used to stock and sell quite a few of the 2245H speakers. They are excellent speakers. I looked in our computer and the last time JBL had stock was 1-26-06. We were never able to get any more after that date.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Bryan Sunda

Orange County Speaker, Inc.
SpeakerRepair.com
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
800.897.8373 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
714.554.8520 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/
---------------------