PDA

View Full Version : Altec 19 Clone (Sort of)

HipoFutura
06-22-2008, 05:31 AM
I’m looking for opinions and thoughts on a project I’m considering. This is a bit of a nostalgia kick. I would like to build a set of speakers that have the look, feel, and sound (within reason) of the Altec Model 19.

My thought is to build the cabinets much to the specs of the original 19, but include a JBL 075 ring radiator for HF. Keep the 811 horn and 802 driver, but use a JBL woof (something that's readily available like a D130). I can build something like the Altec N501-8A x-over and add in the 075. Which specific model JBL woof would be best suited? I think the 19’s in a rose wood veneer would be stunning.

Ok, any thoughts? Don

Gary L
06-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a fairly odd project!

If you want something to have the "look, feel and sound of an Altec 19", why not just build 19s and use Altec drivers and the correct 1200Khz XOs?

There is allot of info here about adding an additional tweeter or just switching the 802 for the BMS ND 4552 HF drivers to get higher highs.

I have no problem with our desire to play around in search of the better mouse trap but Altec 19s are a very nice speaker and can be upgraded in component and cabinetry and produce quite a nice soundstage.

Unless you are attempting to work with parts on hand that you already own, it seems to me like your project will be a great deal more complicated then need be.

Jeff Markwarts site has all the cabinet and XO specs clearly depicted for the Model 19s and Zilch and many others here have gone to great lengths to tweek the XOs and HF end for some higher highs.

I am sure there are many who feel the JBL woofer could be an improvement but there is nothing at all wrong with the Altec 416-8B in the 19 application.

You can also refer back to one of the classic threads right here titled "Look at my new babies" and pull up a chair for a few evenings of interesting reading regarding the Altecs.

In the end, some had what they felt were favorable results but I never got the impression they hit upon the Holy Grail.

Availability of the 416 woofers can't be a big problem since you can find them just about anywhere and even buy them brand new at Great Plains Audio or have the originals rebuilt.

Gary

Zilch
06-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Ok, any thoughts? DonIf you want M19s, buy a pair and upgrade the HF drivers to BMS 4552nd plus a fixed L-Pad.

If you want to build something, build better. D130, 802/811, N501, and 075 in a beastly box is NOT better.... :(

HipoFutura
06-22-2008, 03:00 PM
OK, I think I've got it...

Not a lot needs to be done in way of improvements
No reason to go with a JBL woof
Factory x-overs are reasonable (consider a Zilch mod)
Just replace the 802 with a BMS HF driver
Stop trying to over-engineer!!!!

But other than that Mrs. Lincoln what did you think of the play????

A sincere thank you Gary and Zilch. I appreciate the input and being pointed in the right direction. Don