PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Audiophile Quality

hjames
06-18-2008, 06:34 AM
Internet geek cartoon ... see today's comic (Weds June 18, 2008)

They GET it!

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618

Doc Mark
06-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Morning, Heather,

THAT was hilarious!!! And, unfortunately, it is Oh, so true! When I recently won a Crown DC-300A amp on FleaBay, I went down to Circuit City to buy some new connector cables for it. Everything on hand was super high priced, and I just refused to pay that kind of money for such a cable! I ended up in a Guitar Center, where I found some industrial type of connector cables, for FAR less money, and bought them! My "ungolden ears", I'm sure, would never know the difference between the two types of cables!!! Go figure..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. In an age where it's almost impossible to find something resembling a "real" loudspeaker in a stereo store, it amazes me that such expensive cables are needed to make the cheap, poorly made offerings sound better!!! Hummmmm......!!

johnaec
06-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm sure this is the Denon cable they're talking about: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp#

$499 for a 5' cat5 cable... :blink:

John

hjames
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm sure this is the Denon cable they're talking about: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp#

$499 for a 5' cat5 cable... :blink:

John
Oh My God! ... what a chuckle!

I thought I remembered someone mentioning this here a couple weeks back ...

unbelievable ...
(wonder how many they have sold?)

------------- snip from actual Denon site -----------------------

AK-DL1

$499.00

Denon's 1.5 meter (59 in.) ultra premium Denon Link cable was designed for the audio enthusiast. Made from high purity copper wire and high performance connection parts, the AK-DL1 will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction from any of our Denon DVD players with the Denon Link feature. Attention to detail when building this cable was used by employing high quality insulation, tin-bearing alloy shielding and woven jacketing to reduce vibration and to add durability. Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer. Rounded plug levers help prevent breakage.

------------- snip from actual Denon site -----------------------

Hoerninger
06-18-2008, 09:14 AM
"The Missing Link"
- have I overlooked something or was it by Lincoln Mayorga,
which sounded nice in 1972 - without the Denon?

Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer.Luckily in both directions! ;)

Mr. Widget
06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer.How will the electrons know where to go if you don't show them the way? :D

Widget

Guido
06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Absolute :bs:

Makes me :barf:

Zilch
06-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd be happy with getting ANY of the nuances for $5 or less, frankly.... ;)

hjames
06-21-2008, 06:01 AM
"The Missing Link"
- have I overlooked something or was it by Lincoln Mayorga,
which sounded nice in 1972 - without the Denon?

Luckily in both directions! ;)

Audiophile cables has been a thread in the Userfriendly strip (http://www.userfriendly.org/) a couple times this week ...
So, do you think the cartoonist is reading this site?

Hoerninger
06-21-2008, 06:19 AM
So, do you think the cartoonist is reading this site?
A funny thought.
What about cable stands - china or better gold (for a shining
soundstage).

The promoters will find a more suitable word.

cooky1257
06-21-2008, 07:13 AM
For some of the best laughs ever check this out....http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000I1X6PM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

johnaec
06-21-2008, 09:48 AM
What about cable stands...I don't have any links handy, (some have been posted before), but they already have those. 'Little audiophile mounts that heep your cables from touching the floor. Because they make such a sonic difference, they're also quite expensive! :p

John

Fangio
06-21-2008, 11:29 AM

macaroonie
06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't have any links handy, (some have been posted before), but they already have those. 'Little audiophile mounts that heep your cables from touching the floor. Because they make such a sonic difference, they're also quite expensive! :p

John

Google 'Enid Lumley ' and enjoy.

jblbgw_man
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
For some of the best laughs ever check this out....http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000I1X6PM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

They are some of the phunniest reviews I have ever read, it's made my day. :cheers:

Rolf
06-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Bad speakers - good cables = bad sound. Good speakers - bad cables = bad sound. Good speakers - good cables = good sound.

When are you people going to learn???

indycraft
06-22-2008, 05:10 AM
I must be a disingenuous audiophile. :o:

Internet geek cartoon ... see today's comic (Weds June 18, 2008)

They GET it!

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618

hjames
06-22-2008, 06:07 AM
When are you people going to learn???

When are going to learn to laugh?
No harm meant, Rolf- was just meant to be a joke!

Rolf
06-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi Ian.

Well, I believe we have been this before, but in general the thickness of the cable has some importance. Just like the electrical system in our house needs different thickness for a 10A and a 25A. To thin will make the cable getting hot, and finally burn up because of the resistance. Like a water hose, you need a large hose to get more water out of it, if the supply is large enough.

I am no technical expert who knows how a cable (interlink or speaker cable) should be made. As I have said many times before: "my ears is the judge", and what I know is that different cables sound different.

What I call a bad cable is f.ex. a lamp cord, witch in my opinion has nothing to do in a hi-fi setup. A good cable is f.ex. a cable made especially for amp -> speaker. Not that a $10.000 cable neccesarly is better than a $500. I have heard enough to know this.

Sorry for my input regarding this, as I know many here believe all cables sound the same, and I don't want to start another cable debate.

People must use what they want. If one is happy with the choice it is ok for me. I know what I want (have) and is happy with my choices.

Bad cables = ?

So Rolf please explain what is a bad cable apart from one that you "think" sounds like a bad cable?

Rolf
06-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes I know. (rewire the 4343's) This will be done as soon as I get my charge couplet cross overs.

Have you heard the DD66000? I heard them in a horrible room, with ok equipment (Macintosh). It was in this setup the statements where made that the 4343's sounded better. NOT as a rule if the speakers had been in another room. That I really don't know yet, as I have not heard the DD66000 in a proper room.

I have the possibility of trying them in my own house, but this is a serious thing to do. Moving speakers out and in, electronic crossovers, freight prices, +++.

Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse". I guess I must be seen like one in someones eyes reading some of my posts.

You should then completely rewire your 4343 's because apart from a horribly poor switch contactor and all the clip on spade connectors the wiring is thinner than lamp flex.

Of course if a metre or so of your favourite cable helps "we" understand.

I recall according to your ears the 4343 is superior to the Everest 11:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: :banghead: Pigs Arse!

Fangio
06-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse".

"very informal ! – probably meant in a sarcastic way... calm down Rolf. ;)

.....something that you say when you do not believe what someone has just told you."

Pig's arse (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pig%27s+arse)

hjames
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Gentlemen! Relax!
The whole thread was playful, meant for a chuckle or two - if you read the original cartoons, it was not about speaker cable or interconnect cables, it was about paying $500 for a high end ethernet/Cat5 cable -

Digital data, not analog!!

speakerdave
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
. . . . Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse". . . .

The expression "pig's arse" is a shortened version of "in a pig's arse," NOT "you are a pig's arse." It means basically the same as "like hell," or "bullshit."

On the other hand, or cheek, "horse's ass" is usually directed at a person, as in "you're a horse's ass"--an idiot behaving like a fool. That is, unless they do things differently in Australia, which they probably do, since it's all ass over teakettle down there anyway, which may be why they drink beer instead of tea so much of the time.

Rolf
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
OK ...

Tim Rinkerman
06-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Find out what type of cabling they used to build the studio your favorite recording was made in.....( it might make you wonder how it was made at all...).

Regis
06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
The whole cable thing cracks me up. Just about all of us know the insides of the vintage JBL home and studio speakers and I can tell you that it ain't monster cable (unless they're the JBL 250 Ti's or XPL series). The 4315's had the usual dinky wire running through them (just like my L-300's).

I've got to develop a magic pair of foam ear benders, so that you can fold your ears forward slightly and improve your listening session. They'll sell for $200 the pair and will come in three sizes and of course, be scientifically designed for an optimal angle.:D

SEAWOLF97
06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I've got to develop a magic pair of foam ear benders, so that you can fold your ears forward slightly and improve your listening session. They'll sell for $200 the pair and will come in three sizes and of course, be scientifically designed for an optimal angle.:D

The factory wiring in my L-166's was pathetic, small guage and open crappy solder points...

ear benders ?? kinda like those anti-snore nose strips ??

grumpy
06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Regis... dude... you are so late to the party. I've actually seen leather(-ish?)
ear extenders intended for 'audiophile' sale... many, many years ago. :D

cooky1257
06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
There's a guy on pinkfish at the mo' who claims he can easily hear fuse direction:blink:
"They're everywhere!"

hjames
06-24-2008, 12:14 PM
There's a guy on pinkfish at the mo' who claims he can easily hear fuse direction:blink:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to dis him - but sheesh!
Maybe its best NOT to have such bat-ears!

Regis
06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Regis... dude... you are so late to the party. I've actually seen leather(-ish?)
ear extenders intended for 'audiophile' sale... many, many years ago. :D

Leather! Gawd, I can picture Jack Black with a leather Mexican wrestling mask and ear extensions,being engaged in a listening sesh! Kind of scary isn't it?

Titanium Dome
06-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't want to dis him - but sheesh!
Maybe its best NOT to have such bat-ears!

People who claim to have these superior gifts like to present themselves as "special" or "talented" when the reality is that they're abnormal. They are not like most of us, and there's no point in us pretending to be like them.

They're either full of shit or they can truly hear something I can't. Guess what? Don't care. Either way I'm not going to their party.

Now someone telling me he can hear a difference in cables, I'll believe because I think I can too--once in a while. But I won't change just because someone says so. If I can't hear it, that's the end of the discussion.

In fact, even if I can hear a slight difference, if the guy demoing the cables is a prick, I'm not going to tell him I can hear the difference. I'm going to break his balls instead. :bash:

If I like him, I'll probably say, "Yeah, that's nice" even if I can't hear a darn thing." :cheers:

cooky1257
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I think he should be tried as a witch then burnt at the stake anyway for being a tosser:D

Mr. Widget
06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
In addition to the usual audio tweaks, you may want one of these, especially if you use your computer as a music server.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/06/24/boing-boing-gadgets.html

Widget

Hoerninger
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Widget, thank you for your investigative view:
"X-Maple pixel-flutter reduction block"

In electroacoustics it will be JITTER.
As it is all about the electrons it will work with any electronic device.
But will it work together with the DENON cable?
????????????
Peter
:barf:... trying to find an answer

bottleneck
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
laughed at Cooky's post :)

it led me to this one, with really funny reviews too... slightly off topic, but just try and read the first review without laughing out loud... I couldnt!

http://www.amazon.com/JL421-Badonkadonk-Land-Cruiser-Tank/dp/B00067F1CE/ref=pd_sbs_e_5

Tom Brennan
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Enid Lumley was the tweak who thought your hi-fi sounds better if you're not in the room with it. ;)