PDA

View Full Version : Sony Alplifier + JBL SPEAKERS

HalfaMaster
06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi all, i am new here and to the sound area, i have a little question if you could help me please. I have an sony alplifier (STR- DA5300) and i whanted some JBL speakers for it, the "tall" ones. I dodnt mind wasting some money on them, but i whanted to know THE BEST ones for this amplifier please. If you could tell me that i would be verry happy =)

Thank you:)

BMWCCA
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Are you doing a 7.1 surround system? Or are you looking for two-channel sound? I have no idea what "tall" JBLs you're talking about. Are they current models? Vintage? Could you be more specific?

HalfaMaster
06-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Hi, I whanted 2 channel speakers. The "tall" speakers i am talking about are like this ones (http://www.cinemaconsultantshome.com/images/products/wooden_speakers_tall.jpg).
I dodnt really care if they are current models or Vintage models, I just whant to know the best ones for 2 channles (like the picture).
Thank you for the help.

hjames
06-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi all, i am new here and to the sound area, i have a little question if you could help me please. I have an sony ampllifier (STR- DA5300) and i wanted some JBL speakers for it, the "tall" ones. I dont mind wasting some money on them, but i wanted to know THE BEST ones for this amplifier please. If you could tell me that i would be very happy =)

Thank you:)

Can you quote some specs on your stereo receiver?

What kind of music do you listen to?

What is your listening room like (size/shape/height/etc)

What kind of surfaces and treatments are there in your room?

What kind of speakers are you used to listeing to /have you used in the past?

What kind of budget do you have for speakers?

New? or used?

HalfaMaster
06-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Can you quote some specs on your stereo receiver?

What kind of music do you listen to?

What is your listening room like (size/shape/height/etc)

What kind of surfaces and treatments are there in your room?

What kind of speakers are you used to listeing to /have you used in the past?

What kind of budget do you have for speakers?

New? or used?

Hi, my receiver is a sony blu-ray (sony 3000 blu-ray). I ear all kinds of music (yes, i am an strange person :D). In my room i have a table, 2 sofas an LCD. the room is like a big square ( something like 16 meters by 17 meters). I told you i whanted to do 2 channels , but i was wrong. I whant 5 channels, because i need to conetc them all together (LCD + blu-ray + amplifier + speakers). My budget is almost unlimited (we can say i won some "tournaments" :P ). I whanted new ones.
Thank you for the help.

hjames
06-17-2008, 07:34 AM
You didn't really give me specs on your receiver, apparently you are calling it an amplifier, and calling your Bluray Disc player a receiver (I know, language differences) but when I googled it myself, it appears to be a Sony 7.1 Home Theatre unit!
Sony STR-DA5300ES ES 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio/Video Receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DA5300ES-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B000VJRSB4?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1213646074&sr=1-27

120Watts X 7 Amp Power(8 ohms,20Hz-20Khz,0.09% THD)

So - with it being a 7.1 receiver, it seems you'll be needing 7 speakers, plus a Subwoofer
(but if its like my Harman-Kardon AVR receiver, it can be set to run in 5.1 mode - so I run it with 5 speakers and an external amp that runs sub-woofer)

Again, what is your budget for 5 speakers?

$1000 ? $5,000 ? More? or less?

HalfaMaster
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
It can be more, i really dodnt care wasting a little bit more :p Sorry for my english, its really horrible. So, as you say, it needs to be 7.1 or 2.1 :s hmm the guy who sold me told me i could use 5.1 :o

BMWCCA
06-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I'd suggest you walk in to your local high-end shop with your platinum credit card glued to your forehead. The nice folks there will fix you up. Better yet, walk in backwards so it'll be easier for them to perform on you the task you seem hell-bent to have performed! :spchless:

You've left too many questions unanswered and I have no idea what models of JBL are even available in your country. I know nothing but it looks to me that the speakers you've shown as an example are not JBLs, yet you're asking us for suggestions of something similar in JBLs? Is that right? :banghead:

I'm probably wrong but I think we're dealing with an on-line warfare geek; a legend in his own mind. How old are you HalfaMaster?

HalfaMaster
06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
:(hu.. ok... thank you for the advice. . . anyway, i think that one can do 5.1. And yes, i whanted JBL speakers, i think that the JBL L890 are good, no?

Don C
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Tall? Cost no object? K2-S9800 are pretty good speakers, and tall too.

jblsound
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
:(hu.. ok... thank you for the advice. . . anyway, i think that one can do 5.1. And yes, i whanted JBL speakers, i think that the JBL L890 are good, no?
L890s are very good speakers, as is the entire Studio L series, and you can use most any amp to drive them. But I would suggest at least 200wpc amp.

HalfaMaster
06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Hmm The K2-S9800 ones look nice, but can i make 5.1 with them? if yes, can you sugest one subwoofer please =)?

grumpy
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I think I'd be looking at this series:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=ES&Language=ENG&Country=PT&Region=EUROPE

There's a powered sub to match. The Sony could use the break in not powering a sub... don't expect
120w x7 as being reality.

Even the Euro LS series might end up being harsh with the Sony receiver.

K2's are nice, but I was joking earlier (since deleted)... they deserve better
amplification.

hjames
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
But the LS series has such a classy look -
nice looking towers for the 2 fronts, plus a nice center and a powered subwoofer, and either smaller towers or bookshelf speakers for the rear, and real wood panels to boot (tho it is a darker finish)
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=LS&Language=ENG&Country=PT&Region=EUROPE

grumpy
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Nice compression driver too... I'd just be worried that anything less than high quality
amplification will just telegraph through and come out ... unsatisfactorily. Let the nice
dome system smooth out the wrinkles :)

grumpy
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
(told you that story to tell this one...)

http://www.videohifi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79649&ARCHIVE=

~3/4 the way down, there are some links to pics of LS series internals...

jblsound
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Hmm The K2-S9800 ones look nice, but can i make 5.1 with them? if yes, can you sugest one subwoofer please =)?
You can, but an entire 5.1 system that matches the K2 would be around $60K US, or more.

Zilch
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-K2&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Rolf
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
If price is no problem, 7 DD66000:D, ... and some more and better amps.:yes: