PDA

View Full Version : Jbl L-150

KraziFerret
04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm new to this forum and I have some questions that I know you guys can answer.
I bought a pair of JBL L150's back in 1979.
I am trying to decide what to do with them since I am upgrading to a matched 5.1 set of speakers for Home theater. I would like any opinions as to how good they are before I actually do something with them. I've heard that they are some of the best speakers ever made. They sound great and look great. They're in mint condition, so I don't want to get rid of them. Just not sure where they fit into the sceme of things.

boputnam
04-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by KraziFerret
I bought a pair of JBL L150's back in 1979 ... They're in mint condition... Hey, Ferret! :wave:

Those are great, but they cannot be "mint" - at the least, you'll have to consider resurrounding those woofers (my personal favorite 12-in... :yes: ). Check the compliance - I'll bet they are quite fragile to the touch, and may even be decrepitating...

As well, do a Search on L150 and you'll find a plethora of interesting Q/A...

The L150 will CERTAINLY fit into any smart 5.1 rig-up.

KraziFerret
04-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the reply boputnam. I've already re-foamed both the woofers.
So I guess they're not mint, but still sound great.

JuniorJBL
04-02-2004, 10:53 PM
I would say that unless you are getting a bigger pair of front L&R speakers (not something from bestbuy) then spend a little more on your center channel so that it might come closer (in size/sound) to your L150. This way your sound will not be lacking in the center.
Remember 70-75% of your movie comes from the center. This (IMO) is a reason for a BIG center. I also use a dedicated (18")sub just for my center, with LOTS of power!!

My 2cents
Shane :D

Mr. Widget
04-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Hi Krazi,
If you haven't already picked out your 5.1 system, you might consider a L112 for a center channel and possibly a pair of them for the rears as well. They should balance quite nicely with your L150s.

I would second Junior's comment on center speakers. For surround music every album is mixed differently so to maximize the accuracy on all recordings you need 5 identical speakers. For movies however, the rears are not terribly important (sure they are important, but it isn't necessary to have five K2-S9800s) It is good to have all three front speakers be the same or at least tonally similar, and yes for most movies the center channel plays most of the sound track.

Widget

4313B
04-03-2004, 04:52 AM
I'd be tempted to keep the L150's and build around them. Systems that used the 033 were the L40, L40A, L110, L110A, and L150. Systems that used the 044 were the L96, L112, L150A, L150A-B, and 4411.

Dynacoman
04-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Mr Widget is on to something. I use a pair of 112's for my center to match up my stacked pr. of 150a's. I am on the lookout for a second pair of 112's for my rears. I just need to now install my 2245's in their sub cabinets and it's all JBL all around.

Jim

andresohc
04-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I have been attempting to find a decent center but I thought the magnets in the 112 would mess up the screen. How close can you get them without messing up the screen. I had considered stacking them one a foot above horizontal, and one a foot below horizontal. (otherwise I was worried about the center of the sound to be to far off from the screen.):confused:

KraziFerret
04-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Thank You Mr. Widget,

I took your excellent advise and bought a pair of L112's for my rear surrounds.

I guess I never gave much thought to doing that before.
I should have, though, because I like the L150A's so much.

It was a real delima for me for a while because I didn't know what to do with the 150's if I got a new set of matched Ht speakers. Which I almost did.

I think the 150's and the 112's will be a great set-up.