PDA

View Full Version : Enclosures for sale?

Doc Mark
06-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Greetings, Friends,

I read here, a while back, about someone in NY who had many empty JBL enclosures, some of which he was selling. Are there any forum members on the West Coast who have similar offerings? I am still in the "Hunter-Gatherer" mode for my "Dream" speakers, and wonder is anyone has a pair of JBL enclosures that would work well with 2235's? If so, and if I can afford them, I can drive down and pick them up. Please let me know if any of you have such items for sale, and what they might set me back, financially. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Zilch
06-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Wherever you are, there are likely to be 4507 utility cabinets to be found.

If you're lucky, you'll find 4647, the same box with 2225s in them, which can be reconed to 2235H inexpensively.

Use "Search" to see what members have done with these "built-like-tanks" boxes.

The other common find is empty L200 cabs, which can be easily converted into quasi-L300s. Again, "Search" will show the way.... :thmbsup:

Doc Mark
06-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Wherever you are, there are likely to be 4507 utility cabinets to be found.

If you're lucky, you'll find 4647, the same box with 2225s in them, which can be reconed to 2235H inexpensively.

Use "Search" to see what members have done with these "built-like-tanks" boxes.

The other common find is empty L200 cabs, which can be easily converted into quasi-L300s. Again, "Search" will show the way.... :thmbsup:

Morning, Zilch,

Thanks for the shout back! I read, in another post, that you are privy to a "local" So. Cal. vintage audio parts guy, who has a monthly "garage sale", at which empty cabinets can sometimes be purchased. I, too, live in So. Cal., though a little more South than yourself. Would consider a weekend trip up to your area to peruse the offerings of said seller, if you think that would prove productive. Or, if you should happen upon a pair of nice, empty cabinets, which would work well with the 2235's I have on hand, I'd certainly be interested in buying them, if I can afford to do so. In any case, doing it this way would very probably get my project underway far sooner than if I have to build the cabinets myself. No time, no real room to work, and it's not easy to get to my "stored" table saw, band saw, and chop saw!! :( Thanks, very much, for any help you can send my way, or any suggestions on obtaining empty JBL cabs in good condition. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Just thought of something: I'll be working a gig up near San Luis Obispo next month. Might be a great time to drive up and check out the offerings of the gentleman you mentioned as sometimes having empty cabinets for sale.

Zilch
06-17-2008, 12:09 AM
The subject recycler has a storefront in Berkeley and deals primarily in consumer gear.

The cabinets I'm referring to are pro gear, often recovered from club or theater closures, and posted on CraigsList or eBay.

I'm confident there are plenty in So. CA, as they show up in KS and MN, as well.... :)

mech986
06-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Hi Doc,

Where in SoCal are you located? What driver complement are you looking to use besides the 2235's?

Bart

Doc Mark
06-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Morning, Guys,

Can't sleep, so I thought I'd get up and see what was shakin' here on the JBL forum!

Zilch, thanks for the head's up on CL, etc.. I've only bought one thing from CL, a nice Moss tent, but it turned out very well. I'll try to check there and see what might turn up.

Mech986,

I don't live too far from you, actually, up in the San Bernardino Mountains, East of Cajon Pass. In fact, I'm hoping to be passing close to La Habra this coming Saturday, on the way down to San Diego. Is there a place near you that offers used, good condition, cabinets?

My "Dream" speakers will be setup in one of two different ways, depending on how things turn out. For components, I have a pair of 2235's; a pair of LE10A's (though this part is possibly going to change soon); a pair of 2420 drivers, with horn/lense assemblies; and a pair of 2405's. I now also have one 18" JBL transducer, which I found at a swap meet, for $30. Might mess around with a single sub-subwoofer, if things turn out right! ;):D

Originally, I was going to use these components in a single cabinet, but I'm now leaning, heavily, towards a subwoofer/satellite system. So, for the 2235's, I'm thinking about enclosures of around 5 cubic feet. The 18" driver will go into something around 8 cubic feet. And, the satellite speakers will have the 10" plus the driver/horn/lense assembly, and the 2405.

I like the idea of mounting the satellites on stands, or even hanging them from a good spot on the ceiling/wall, then hiding the subwoofers. Or, I may have the whole kit and kaboodle out so I can enjoy looking at it!! I want to keep my Sweet Bride happy, too, however, so we'll see how it all turns out! ;):)

Anyway, that's what I have in mind. Do you have any ideas, or suggestions? Thanks, very much, in advance, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Woody Banks
06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Howdy Doc

These are not JBL, but they are in your area. I would love to have them but the shipping cost exceeded the asking price of $1000. These were posted last week on the forum under General Audio For Sale. The drivers are not included of course, but there is over $600 worth of Black Hole acoustic material installed.

Woody

robertbartsch
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Not to be a wise guy, but; I don't understand the logic for the wood horn HF lenses. They are very appealing to the eye, but do they perform better than a metal or composite horn lens?

Did anyne see the huge Altec-type multi-cell horn on E-bay recently? It was constructed by hand from - you guesed it WOOD. It was extremely nice looking but at a $4k asking price, I have to question; Is this really worth $4K to me?

Doc Mark
06-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey, Woody, and all,

Yeah, I saw those beauties the other day, and they are, indeed, lovely!! However, at some point, reality must rule the day, and I would actually like some thing a little less "obtrusive", if you know what I mean. That's why I like the idea of a satellite/subwoofer system. The satellites can be mounted up high, out of the way, and the subs hidden away someplace close by. When the system is playing, I want the music to be the most important thing, and not some outstandingly lovely bit of cabinetry that would dominate our living room!! :blink::blink::D I'm actually beginning to think that "less will be more" in our environment. Maybe I don't "need" the compression drivers, and all that other stuff, to be a happy listener. Maybe my long-time dream of having such speakers is really just that: a dream. And, maybe I just need something smaller, like medium studio monitors, with some subs. Hummm??????? In truth, however, I HAVE to give it a try, as then, and only then, will I finally KNOW if I like the sound of such a system in my own home!!

For the last several days, however, Sweet Bride and I have very much enjoyed listening to those Dynaco A35's I just picked up in Colorado, for all of $3.00 (!!!), paired with our "faulty", mismatched subwoofers! Sweet, natural, and life-like, and very easy on the ears. Hummmm...... Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

grumpy
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Wood horns, why?

Ability to "manufacture" in small quantities and by one person or a small shop.
They can look very nice... art to some.
Various aesthetic visual properties available (color, grain, texture,...).
Different resonant properties for different woods and vs other material types
(may or may not be good).
Worthwhile investment for everyone? Certainly not... for some, certainly so.

BTW, I don't recall that the TAD (or TAD-like) horns came w/ the cabinet... anyone interested
should double-check.