PDA

View Full Version : Drivers 244x Type 5 or 7, Diaph. interchangeable?

mini
06-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Hi,

I've got pairs of drivers of the a/m types. I wonder why #5 on Electro Voice HP940 is more flat in the upper range than #7 on JBLs 235x. Most prominent the type #7 shows a dip @ 10kHz. It could be equalized without worsening THD - but a question comes up: Are the diaphragms interchangeable 1) without damage 2) with benefit then?

Someone somewhere claimed sometimes that the ribs on the #6 & #7 dias were the reason for harsh sound. The flat version as in the elder designs has to be considered superior. Whatever audio people say - o/k, wasn't it #5 to be the worst driver ever made?! What about unnatural genetic engineering to create an extramundane beast in transplanting the bad to the ugly and vice versa?

I appreciate Your advice.

subwoof
06-14-2008, 07:24 AM
What post?
What graph?
When?
What models?
Did you use the search function?
Did you look at JBL.com?

No clue what you are talking about.

sub

mini
06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
What post?
What graph?
When?
What models?
Did you use the search function?
Did you look at JBL.com?

No clue what you are talking about.

sub

Hi,

Sorry that You ain't able to answer my question without asking me for the answer Yourself. It's a question regarding the top octave of the spectrum, Subwoof. Nevertheless , thank You 8-)

0) which post?
1) the specs of the forementioned drivers
2) at time of publication
3) modelnumbers 244[5, 6, 7]
4) Sure!
5) Sure!

Can diaphragma of model 244-7 be replaced with dia of model 244-5 against the straight recommendation of the supplier? Without damage due to different clearance to the phase plug pp.

Thanks again

J.

Zilch
06-14-2008, 10:25 PM
It is unlikely anybody here knows or gives a whit how any JBL driver performs on an EV horn.

Same for whatever "someone, somewhere" says or said about any of it.

Compare responses on PWT:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2445J.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2446.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2447.pdf

On the same 2380 biradial horn, 2446 would appear to be flatter than 2445 above 10 kHz, if that's your region of interest.

2446 through 2451 all take the 2450 diaphragm.

I believe you'll find the "SL" version is not ribbed, and has Aquaplas damping:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13278&stc=1&d=1141012783

As was suggested by one member, it may in fact be a coated 2445 diaphragm.

See also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=185313#post185313

If you want to put a 2445 diaphragm in a 2446 or 2447, I WILL guarantee it's not going to smash the phase plug.... :D

mini
06-15-2008, 06:11 AM
It is unlikely anybody here knows or gives a whit how any JBL driver performs on an EV horn.
If you want to put a 2445 diaphragm in a 2446 or 2447, I WILL guarantee it's not going to smash the phase plug.... :D

O/k,

So You claim the phaseplug really would withstand the dia. I take this reassurance as a personal suretyship, Zilch.

On the other hand the 2445 performs pretty well on the HP940. It's for the patented finns in the throat, I asume. The response is ruler flat from ~600Hz to 15kHz with just a little dip around 10kHz (-6dB/oct. CD-loss compensated). Just sounds fine.

Did anyone find the second harmonic peak @ 7kHz for the newer ribbed aquaplazed cousin due to the 14kHz resonance? I've got a pair that behaves quite different in that. One dia is more brownish and lesser resonant than the other. But - before I ask more silly questions I'll work through the hithero output in this forum. It seems as a science of its own.

Maron Horonzakz
06-15-2008, 06:42 AM
:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

subwoof
06-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Apparently the phase plug humor escaped you...:) Mein schlect.

And if you had used the search function fully, you would of found many posts on diaphram interchangeability.

ALL 4" coil JBL diaphrams are interchangeable with each other **EXCEPT** the 2482 / 2485 phenolic and the 2390 Ti since they have unique gaps and mounting provisions.

But moving them around will not be an exact science since different driver generations have different phaseplugs ( you have to search for that too ).
There are people on this forum who have worked on hundreds if not thousands of these things.

In addition the variations of diaphrams are listed too - again if you have a ribbed, coated titanium it is the D8R2451SL and was used in the last version of the DMS-1 and in the current "A" model Array ( pro touring ).

Consumer use?? WTFK

Rumor has it that Harman-japan has 16 ohm versions of both smooth and ribbed Ti in their products but searching through all that lit is time consuming since you can't order it anyways without jumping thru hoops, Quixotic.

The part number for the 2445 dia is 61435 and for the 2450SL it's 61435-06

So you can wonder what the -1-2-3-4-5 variations were and unless you actually GET one, measure it and compare with others at the same time, it's only pure speculation.

And also, we do not do ev here...:)

sub

mini
06-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Apparently the phase plug humor escaped you...
And also, we do not do ev here...

Hi,

The browser ate my reply in the first place. So to make it short, I've got the humor. I'm convinced that the taboo about <no-no> is not born from fear of comparison.

I appreceate Your advice, thanks a lotT

subwoof
06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
There is no "taboo" but if you want to talk about EV products, go to an EV forum.

Do you go to a mercedes dealership for porche parts??

Go to Otoberfest and comment on how fine coors is??

Just trying to explain that this is a pretty narrow forum and very few members have experience with both.

The ones that have, and are here, have decided.

:cheers:

Zilch
06-15-2008, 10:42 AM
:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:T i Dome's master of the bizarre response here; I am a mere intern:

Smash the radio
(No outside voices here)
Smash the watch
(Cannot tear the day to shreds)
Smash the camera
(Cannot steal away the spirits)
The rhythm is around me
The rhythm has control
The rhythm is inside me
The rhythm has my soul

Peter Gabriel, The Rhythm of the Heat

mini
06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Go to Otoberfest and comment on how fine coors is??

Hi,

As You mention Germany by Octoberfest we have a lot of people here who dislike the 244-5. It is said to be ... . <no-no, this time from Italy> were better so common wisdom holds. But for me 244-5 in midsize <no-no> horn does better than the younger JBL cousin in the most recent but now outdated midsize horn of JBL provenience.

To be short again, not to be blinkered could help sometimes. What if the 238x horns are cut off to low regularly and the driver is blamed for it? Not many people have testified the 244-5 on an appropriate large waveguide.

Ehm, from what can an aquaplazed dia distinguished from one without - color? What might be a prominent difference between aftermarket and JBL dias? Does anyone have experience with 244-7 regarding the 7kHz peak in 2nd h/d? Is it expected to vary strongly with production lot?

I don' t take it 2 serious :D

subwoof
06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
too many questions that have been debated before ad nauseum. read every post on this site, then make an opinion. or better yet, ask someone who knows someone somewhere - they are the real experts...:)

Zilch
06-15-2008, 04:23 PM
So, 2445 plays well on other brand horns.

Cool. :thmbsup:

Was there something else?

mini
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Was there something else?

Yes, but I now know why I wasn't satisfied with the dia-thread dating from 2005 to 2007.

Never mind

Maron Horonzakz
06-16-2008, 06:14 AM
:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:: blink::blink::blink:

Maron Horonzakz
06-16-2008, 06:18 AM
What the hell was all that about???

subwoof
06-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Can anybody translate what he said??

It's like a cell phone conversation that only gives you random words and phrases...

mini
06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Yes, but I now know why I wasn't satisfied with the dia-thread dating from 2005 to 2007.

Never mind

Hay,

You suggested to read ALL of the forum to answer my initial question. I have found a thread that deals with diaphragma interchangeability. This thread is dated from the years 2005 (start) to year 2007.

2 b honest I've found the thread before. You know, I told You I DID use the search function and DID look up jbl pro dot commercial. But I was not satisfied with the info. Neither that thread nor JBL did answer my special query. Alas, I was prudent enough to start my own thread on my special topic regarding my own drivers.

I concluded from THIS very thread now, that You will not answer my questions just as You haven't done that in the forementioned thread.

I won't insist. It's no use in shearing a whale. Even if it is a baleen whale => :D

So, when ever any diaphragma will crumble my phase plug I'll sue Zilch for that. (I gonna be rich! 8-)

buy ;-]

subwoof
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Exactly what was the *exact* question?? And you say *we* didn't answer *it*..??

From 2005? We on this forum are good but we cannot read minds yet.

You asked a bunch of questions ( partially ) and subjected them to previous hieroglyphics and conditions that we cannot understand.

Just what is dai-thread? 8- ? <no-no>?

Please use full model numbers, and be specific or we cannot answer a question..:)

You say you found just one thread?? there must be 20 on just that subject or at least posts that should answer your question.

And to be complete - you HAVE to provide a link or quote to a thread or post that you are commenting on. Again, we cannot read minds and do not care to spend all that time just to see if a question was answered before...

The graphs were published and the links given to you so you should be able to decipher?

This is a regular forum - not a cell phone texting exercise and abbreviations and acroynyms just do not work. 2 b or not to be.

Shakespeare

Maron Horonzakz
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
He,s gonna sue Zilch???? on what grounds? Threats on this forum will not be tolerated... You dont know the difference from a phase plug and a diaphram. They are not the same thing.:biting:

Zilch
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Smash the cell phone
(Cannot read the hier:hyp:glyphs)
Sue the Zilchster
(No more infos for the mini)

Maron Horonzakz
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
HIERGLYPHS???? more like a screwball:applaud:

cooky1257
06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
As far as I'm aware you ask for some advice in as clear a way as possible 'after' you've done a search, then you hope someone can be arsed to take time out away from their busy lives to maybe understand what you are on about and give you an answer(or 5).After that point if you find you don't like the answer or it (and previous threads) doesn't satisfy you, you then fuck off.

subwoof
06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Y'know I have found it nearly impossible to keep up with the all-thumb all-the-time texting acronyms and such these days and I thought I could type fast *and* chew gum.

Even my 18yr old said wtf.

No wonder I got out of retail decades ago. A wise great uncle who owned a gas station ( before convenience stores for you genY'ers ) said that a customer was always right...as he patted his shotgun....but only ONCE.

I'll bet money that guy is even too young to know that *the* answer is 42.

OK:

10 points for the correct question, 50 for the author and 100 who can tell me the name of the album he titled.

This thread needs redirection FAST..

grumpy
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding... Division Bell. Connect the dots for the rest ;)

subwoof
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
damn you're good.

Now all I need is an idento-card and i can fill the gas tank...

grumpy
06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
... well, this thread was making me even more miserable, inconceivable as that may
be... not that anyone cares. :beamup:

Zilch
06-16-2008, 07:06 PM
O.K., connect the dots for us, please. :yes:

[Well, for ME, anyway.... :p ]

subwoof
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Babel fish - very handy little guy you stick into your ear so you could understand other ( alien ) languages. Doesn't work so well for German though. Must be the guttural "R"...

Author: Douglas Adams

Work: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and it's follow-ups. An absolute must-read. Bring your own towel. Best airline book(s) ever.

Architect: the mice ( superior life forms on earth ) who commissioned the multi-year search for the meaning of life. The dolphins ( second ) were the master planners who gave away the glass vases with the logo " so long and thanks for the fish" as they left.

Answer: 42 but the earth was destroyed by the vargons to build an interstellar highway bypass as the answer was being delivered via a phone call..

Album: Pink Floyd's division bell - waters bet adams that he couldn't come up with the title - he did.

Now I gotta go find that collection and re-read. Maybe it has a chapter ( after elvis's spaceship ) about 244(5,6,7)

sub

mini
06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
He,s gonna sue Zilch???? on what grounds? Threats on this forum will not be tolerated... You dont know the difference from a phase plug and a diaphram. They are not the same thing.:biting:

Hi out there in the Bush(s)-Land!

I wrote I've got the humor with Zilchs "garantee" in post #4. I know the difference between a plug and a diaphragma. How serious is it to sue an US inhabitant from Germany for 200 bucks - I'm offshore (remember Guantanamo)? And - Zilch is an alias.

Mad!

You didn't get my humor in overdrawing this "garantee" (crumble the plug) myself:

"If you want to put a 2445 diaphragm in a 2446 or 2447, I WILL guarantee it's not going to smash the phase plug" <Zilch>

You didn't read the thread You're complaining about, did You?

May I concentrate the issues? I mentioned that in Germany 2445 is held for the worst driver ever made. You may find it to be rediculous. I do. I mentioned the excellence of a specific EV horn namely HP940 with 2445 - or excellence of 2445 with that common horn. I broke the taboo: I said "EV". In real life I drive Mercedes & BMW & Porsche. I REALLY do. So what?

You didn't get the clou. The flat diaphragma of 2445 on HP940 performs better than the ribbed dia/ of 2447 mounted to 2352 horn.

Mad again! I have enough - Thank You :blah:

EDIT: For Your convinience post #1 (to whom it may concern):

Hi,

I've got pairs of drivers of the a/m <mini: above mentioned = 244-5, 244-7> types. I wonder why #5 on Electro Voice HP940 is more flat in the upper range than #7 on JBLs 235x. Most prominent the type #7 shows a dip @ 10kHz. It could be equalized without worsening THD - but a question comes up: Are the diaphragms interchangeable 1) without damage 2) with benefit then?

Someone somewhere claimed sometimes that the ribs on the #6 & #7 dias were the reason for harsh sound. The flat version as in the elder designs has to be considered superior. Whatever audio people say - o/k, wasn't it #5 to be the worst driver ever made?! What about unnatural genetic engineering to create an extramundane beast in transplanting the bad to the ugly and vice versa?

ratitifb
06-17-2008, 07:23 AM
そこに、ブッシュ大統領ハワイアウト(秒) -土地!

もう帰らなくて書いたzilchsユーモアを"保証"を作成# 4 。私を知っているプラグとの違いは横隔膜です。どのように深刻な米国で訴訟を起こすことはドイツに住んでい る人から200ドル-私はオフショア(覚えグアンタナモ)ですか?と-大失敗はエイリアスです。

狂った!

私のアドバイスに感謝しています。

mini
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
そこに、ブッシュ大統領ハワイアウト(秒) -土地!

Monsieur Rat.,

You've got me perfectly right. But is it Mandarin or Cantonese?

Your Pal,

Sauerkraut ... who DOES "EV" sometimes somewhere somehow

stephane RAME
06-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Translate

http://translate.google.fr/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Faudioheritage.org%2Fvbull etin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D21411%26page%3D3&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en

ratitifb
06-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Translate

http://translate.google.fr/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Faudioheritage.org%2Fvbull etin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D21411%26page%3D3&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=enin order to clarify, my "joke" has only been copying/pasting the mini's previous post (only the beginning) in japanese via google translator and pointing out the misunderstanding and the lost in translation (as subwoof has posted), probably due to language barriers and humor styles. Not taking any politic point of view :biting:

Joe Alesi
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I've got pairs of drivers of the a/m types. I wonder why #5 on Electro Voice HP940 is more flat in the upper range than #7 on JBLs 235x. Most prominent the type #7 shows a dip @ 10kHz. It could be equalized without worsening THD - but a question comes up: Are the diaphragms interchangeable 1) without damage 2) with benefit then?

Hello Mini,

Interesting question. There could be many possible reasons for the difference, some of which might even relate to differeneces in the measurement technique, equipment calibration etc.. The fact you have compared the JBL 244x driver (which one? 2440, 2441, 2445, 2446..) on the EV HP940 horn, suggests the source of the data is clearly not from either manufacturer: JBL or EV.

So perhaps it would be best if you post the graph or post a link to the measured data for evaluation? Also what source was used for the 244x driver on the JBL 235x horn (which one the 2350 or 2355?). Without this information we would only be guessing at reasons for the possible differences in the measured data. With the info a more informed "guess":D is possible.

Be happy- everyone can be a friend here.

Best
JA

mini
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Be happy- everyone can be a friend here.

Joe,

I did the measurements myself. I couldn't compare the 2445 on HP940 with the 2445 on a mid sized JBL horn as I have none. But - JBL provides data that show what I have reported initially. Compared to 2445 on 2380 the dip @10k for 2447 on 2352 can't be overseen.

Is it due to the diaphragm or due to the phase plug? As I didn't x-pect it to be answered by the x-perts I started an other query. Are the dias interchangeable without damage? Zilch garanteed that the phase plug will survive ... and I'll sue him if this proves to be wrong!

The latter he took serious. Ooops ... if I ever gain the heroism to interchange the dias I'll report the outcome.

Sauerkraut

Maron Horonzakz
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Mini.... Why would NOT the phase plug survive???,,, Why would the phase plug distruct???,,,,What could make the phase plug distruct. The Phase plug is not a moving part.

mini
06-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Mini.... Why would NOT the phase plug survive???,,, Why would the phase plug distruct???,,,,What could make the phase plug distruct. The Phase plug is not a moving part.

O/k, to kill the joke. Of course I know the difference. I know the phase plug will eat every single titanium atom in the diaphragma before even thinking about been smashed by the dia. So, as the plug ain't capable of thinking me myself won't mind a damage of the plug at all.

It would for sure be a possibility that the precious dia may be smashed by the plug. Better to say, it would smash itself at the rock solid plug. Example given due to improper clearance in between. So, that this won't happen is NOT garanteed by Zilch. Good Fella! Real x-pert. To have an advice is more important than to have a worthwhile one.

Me an Zilch both knew instantanious that his advice regarding the plug was a zynical joke, o/k?

so long

cooky1257
06-19-2008, 12:41 AM
What we have here is a Python moment......

Peasant 1: A witch! We have found a witch! Can we burn her?
Belvedere: How do you know that she is a witch?
Peasant 2: Because she looks like one!
Witch: I am not a witch! I am not a witch! They dressed me up like this, and this is not my nose it is a false one!
[Belvedere pulls off the false nose and opens his helmet]
Peasant 1: Well, we did do the nose, and the hat.
Peasant 2: She has a wart.
Belvedere: Why do you think that she is a witch?
Peasant 2: Well, she turned me into a newt.
[Belvedere gives him a disbelieving look]
Belvedere: A newt?
[Silence]
Peasant 2: Well I got better.
Peasant 3: Burn her anyway.
[Yells of "Burn her!"]
Belvedere: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch. Tell me, what do you do with witches?
Peasants: Burn them!
Belvedere: Now, what do burn besides witches?
Peasant 3: More witches! [receives a punch from Peasant 1; silence]
Peasant 2: Wood?
Belvedere: So, why do witches burn? [more silence]
Peasant 2: Because there made of wood?
Belvedere: So, how do you tell if she is made of wood?
Peasant 3: Build a bridge out of her!
Belvedere: Ah, but cant you also build bridges out of stone?
Peasant 3: Oh, right.
Belvedere: Tell me, does wood sink?
Peasant 1: No, it floats.
Belvedere: What also floats in water?
[lots of yelling and many wrong and random answers including very small rocks]
King Arthur: A duck!
Belvedere: Exactly!
Peasant 2: So if she weighs as much as a duck she is made of wood.
Belvedere: And therefore?
Peasants: A witch!
Belvedere: We shall use my largest scales.
[Having been revealed to weigh the same as a duck, therefore proving her a witch, the crowd goes insane]
Witch: It's a fair cop.

mini
06-19-2008, 12:58 AM
If you put the extra throat length on a 2447 to obtain

Hi,

I reread the PWT graphs. From that the 2445 has a peak @9k that the 2446 not has, but the latter shows a dip @12k. The peak of 2445 might help against the dip @10k with the 2447/2352 combo when it is an effect of the plane dia alone.

May be better to stop the speculations as the interactions and production tolerances seem to overwhelm any singular cause.

Sauerkraut

Zilch
06-19-2008, 02:34 AM
May be better to stop the speculations as the interactions and production tolerances seem to overwhelm any singular cause.Production tolerances are a minor factor relative to that of response on different horns, which is why I suggested that the only meaningful way to make a comparison is using the PWT responses of the three drivers.

In detail, and that's what you're talking about here, different horns yield different results, even if they are similar CD with the same dispersion pattern.... :scold:

mini
06-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Production tolerances are a minor factor relative to that of response on different horns, which is why I suggested that the only meaningful way to make a comparison is using the PWT responses of the three drivers.

In detail, and that's what you're talking about here, different horns yield different results, even if they are similar CD with the same dispersion pattern.... :scold:

Hi,

Thank You for giving me Your highly appreciated advice again - this said honest in it's good connotation.

Yes, I agree. The 2352 in connection to 2447 shows some strange change in the directivity from horizontal to vertical @10k. May be there's some energy leak. The 2380 and by far more the EV HP940 are smoother in respect to hor ./. vert radiation patterns.

Second the 2447 shows it's prominent dip 8-] @10k mounted to the PWT while 2446 has it a bit higher. May be 2352 / 2447 combine their "merits" to well.

Nevertheless I'm to curious to let it be. Someday I'll swap the dias and report on that.

Thx

Maron Horonzakz
06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
Please do,,,, We waite for your most mumble results.;)

subwoof
06-19-2008, 06:18 AM
**now I see what the question is/was**

It should be noted that the alnico 2441 was "updated" to the 2445 BUT the phase plug geometry was kept the same. Some early 2445's had the bakelite 2441 phase plug - I worked for a dealer and was installing a lot of them during the changeover. Later they were ( and still are ) made of cast / machined metal alloy.

WHEN JBL updated the 2445 ( to the 2446 ), and created the new Nd magnets ( and 1.5" exit models ), the phase plug geometry was *improved* and the diaphram became *ribbed* so BOTH of these variables need to be taken into account when comparing apples to oranges to banana's.

This would be the 2446, 2447, 2450. Note that these ALL HAD THE SAME DIAPHRAM...:)

This is / was noted in the press releases, cut sheets and catalogs but are of course subject to the JBL "printed typo" effect. No amount of data sheet reading and graph interpolation will substitute for actual measurements.

Currently ( and for some time ) JBL coats the smooth Ti daiphram ( D8R2445 ) with aquaplas ( and becomes the D8R2450SL ) that seems to dampen some of the perceived "harshness" and this is what is used in the DMS-1 studio monitors, ARRAY series touring boxes, Early K2's and a host of other high ticket install and touring products.

Some on this site have suggested coating the older aluminum dia's but I have not tried that. However every single 4" coil HF driver I use ( and the few 1" Ti's ) has a coated dia installed - even my 2440's in the living room...

My portable cabinets have the 2226G, 2452 with 2450SL and they are the best 2 ways I have ever had / used. Smooth, clear and have plenty of oomph even when hit hard.

See?? clear as mud. And yes - ANY 4" driver can use any dia except for the phenolic 2482/85 or the 2490. They will fit and not hurt your phaseplug...the gaps and clearances are compatible.

Kan ich haben zwei beriren bitte?

Maron Horonzakz
06-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Not to also mention that the new phase plug is of the Coherent phase plug design,,, helping to improve clarity.... But all diaphrams are interchangeable... BUT some need the spacer between Phase plug and phram,,,Thats what the + &- numbers are about. An authorized JBL repair station should be consulted on this as tolarence,s are close;)

cooky1257
06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
**now I see what the question is/was**

It should be noted that the alnico 2441 was "updated" to the 2445 BUT the phase plug geometry was kept the same. Some early 2445's had the bakelite 2441 phase plug - I worked for a dealer and was installing a lot of them during the changeover. Later they were ( and still are ) made of cast / machined metal alloy.

WHEN JBL updated the 2445 ( to the 2446 ), and created the new Nd magnets ( and 1.5" exit models ), the phase plug geometry was *improved* and the diaphram became *ribbed* so BOTH of these variables need to be taken into account when comparing apples to oranges to banana's.

This would be the 2446, 2447, 2450. Note that these ALL HAD THE SAME DIAPHRAM...:)

This is / was noted in the press releases, cut sheets and catalogs but are of course subject to the JBL "printed typo" effect. No amount of data sheet reading and graph interpolation will substitute for actual measurements.

Currently ( and for some time ) JBL coats the smooth Ti daiphram ( D8R2445 ) with aquaplas ( and becomes the D8R2450SL ) that seems to dampen some of the perceived "harshness" and this is what is used in the DMS-1 studio monitors, ARRAY series touring boxes, Early K2's and a host of other high ticket install and touring products.

Some on this site have suggested coating the older aluminum dia's but I have not tried that. However every single 4" coil HF driver I use ( and the few 1" Ti's ) has a coated dia installed - even my 2440's in the living room...

My portable cabinets have the 2226G, 2452 with 2450SL and they are the best 2 ways I have ever had / used. Smooth, clear and have plenty of oomph even when hit hard.

See?? clear as mud. And yes - ANY 4" driver can use any dia except for the phenolic 2482/85 or the 2490. They will fit and not hurt your phaseplug...the gaps and clearances are compatible.

Kan ich haben zwei beriren bitte?

Thank you!-buggered if I could understand now I can(the question if not the attitude;-)
So... rather than buy 2441 dias recently would I have been better off (from a sound quality pov)going for some 2450SL's for my 2397 horns?
Cheers
Cooky

mini
06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
would I have been better off (from a sound quality pov)going for some 2450SL's for my 2397 horns?

Hi,

one more question. Could I (not me personal) apply that famous aquaplas to a common 2445 diaphragm? May be on a ribbed 2447 dia too?

One more statement. The 2445 on EVs HP940 does not sound harsh at all. Compared to the driver intended to use with this horn. Repeated, may be people try to use the 2380 horn to low with the 2445. The HP940 is significant larger. I cross over at 600Hz with no regret for home use. I haven't got the 2380 to compare directly.

A final anecdote: I bought my 2445/2360 combos from a rubbish manager at US forces in this old Germany. They as ten have been on a lorry to be thrown away already. Cinema inventory, You know. The facility must have been an educational one: "How to protect Your ears while nukeing"

Klar! Koelsh, Pilsener, Alt, Lager, Export, Weisse, Schwarz, Budweiser, DAB? Or do You aim for somthing really special ... prost!

Sauerkraut

Maron Horonzakz
06-19-2008, 09:47 AM
You can use the 2450SL diaphrams in any Of the large 2" drivers if you like,,,Except the 2482:D

subwoof
06-19-2008, 12:00 PM
A coated 2446 ( ribbed ) is the D8R2450SL-1 and yes it will fit

Yet another example of the funny numbering system that has evolved at JBL.

I have coated the 2445 16ohm dia's I have here for use in the large JBL home and studio monitor restorations since jbl does NOT have them on the pro price list availability - just the 8's.

I use them because the original 2441 diaphram is (A) friggin EXPENSIVE, (B) rarely found used in good condition and (C) will eventually crack or warp because it is after all aluminum. Otherwise I would use them and actually prefer to.

Here is a picture of (4) drivers rescued from a closed club - and on the way to the dumpster. All had 2445 diaphrams ( good ) in them and only one had a very minor throat crack.

The cost was appox one tank of premium gas so you see the economics of finding the 2445 dia's and 'plassing them.

Unfortunately those "funny horns with the fins" got bent so they were scrapped....damn fools..

sub