PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing 510 floor stand speakers

paul hargreaves
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Altec has started making these excelent hifi speakers again, I have a pair here in the uk. They are the original 510's. I now need to find some replacment drivers a full set would be nice as I wish to keep them.
Altec are not prepared to suply. Can anyone help where I may find replacments? Tweeter 1"" polymide titanium
Midrange 2" polymide titanium
Woofer 10" woven carbon fibre
I have surched the net but found nothing about these speakers at all not even when they were made. I have tryed Great Plains Audio in Oklahoma but they cant get spears from Altec ether.

robertbartsch
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Great Plains Audio may be able to rebuild your old Altec drivers to "new" status. Since the USD is so weak now, this might be an inexpensive exersize for you if your currency stockpile is UK pounds or Euros.

(I can't believe the foreigners who are now snapping up "cheap" US goods and services - incredible! - Enjoy it, nothing lasts forever.)

Anyway, they have a web page explaining their process but it is best to call and discuss your needs by phone. ...probably 8 hours behind your local time, I assume.

oznob
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Here's a link to their web site.

John
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Altec never made those speakers, Sparkamatic up in PA. are the culprits:(

StuBotNYC
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Altec never made those speakers, Sparkamatic up in PA. are the culprits:(

I got a pair from PA, fell off "the truck" from someone within the factory.
I break the speakers a few years later. Factory burns down, no info available, and the new owners of Altec Lansing suck a$$. Their cust service has given me the runaround for ten years.

I really liked these when they worked.

Any opinions, tech info, and someone to supply me with new crossovers (on inspection both mine looked burned thru the boards), or someone who could fix them in the NYC/NJ are...?

Any info is welcomed.

Stu