PDA

View Full Version : refinishing full size horn 2360A

mini
06-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi,

May be I've found something I've ever been looking for. A pair 2360A with either DH1a or 2445, two 2226s "d'Appolito" added each side.

But the colour of the horn bell is to ugly to cope with. It is nearly exactly that of the standart German garbage can. It has to be refinished (painted) with matt varnish white. I know it will be a hard job do sand the narrow slot thoroughly. The black from the rear peels off a bit.

Do You have any suggestions what paint to use, or - more important - not to use? Will the rear withstand sand blasting?

Thanks a lot

Earl K
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/Image064a.jpg

G'Day Midnight,
Did you resurface your 2344 horns? They look very shiny. If you did I am interested in the process as mine are a little rough.

Regards Scott

Yes, I did
All I did was sand them down with a fine sand paper.(800grit)
and use a Black Satin Automotive trim coating paint.
This paint is use on auto trim, like rubber bumpers. Its made for rubber. Its also made for exterior use so its very tough. It comes in a spray can. 2 coats of that and it was done.

You can get this at any body shop supply store.

Denis

Hi Dennis

- Looking Good

- Great Info , Thanks !

<. Earl K

subwoof
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Nicht Wahr??

The 2360 is fiberglas and the previous post ( 2344 ) is an injection molded plastic. Very different approaches and materials required.

If it has been painted, virtually any commercial paint stripper will remove it and NO sanding needed.

Then go to an auto body shop that works with fiberglas and have them prep + shoot it with gloss or semi-flat black paint that is meant for that material.

ANY sanding marks will come back to haunt you.

'sehen

Mr. Widget
06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
ANY sanding marks will come back to haunt you. :yes:

Prep is key to a quality finish.

Talk with a local automotive shop. The paints that are available in Europe vary quite a bit from what we have... even the materials in California differ from most of the rest of our country. Seek local help and or advice.

Widget

Earl K
06-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Same but different
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nicht Wahr??

The 2360 is fiberglas and the previous post ( 2344 ) is an injection molded plastic. Very different approaches and materials required.

- Thanks sub for catching my error !

:)

subwoof
06-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I have a "boneyard" of various horns that span the JBL age and last summer I prepped a pair of 2365's for a friend's outdoor event. One swipe over the back side gave me a dozen or so reasons to leave the refinishing to the experts. OUCH.

Interestingly I just redrilled a set of 2381's and a pair of the new PT-95's and noted they were the same rosin/fiberglas/whatever composition and thankfully not sprouting hairs.

BUY wearing gloves when sanding the new drill holes is prudent..:)

sub

mini
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I have a "boneyard" of various horns that span the JBL age and last summer I prepped a pair of 2365's for a friend's outdoor event. One swipe over the back side gave me a dozen or so reasons to leave the refinishing to the experts. OUCH.

Interestingly I just redrilled a set of 2381's and a pair of the new PT-95's and noted they were the same rosin/fiberglas/whatever composition and thankfully not sprouting hairs.

BUY wearing gloves when sanding the new drill holes is prudent..:)

sub

Thanks 2 all for Your advice,

Before going to deep it will pay to ask a pro for the cost, You're right.

By