PDA

View Full Version : JBL D110F question.

Roy Boltz
06-03-2008, 05:32 AM
I have a pair of D110F special design JBL 10" drivers made for Fender musical instruments.
They have orange or coppery color dustcaps, which I've been told are an "Alodine" treatment.
There are no stamped numbers on the cone,,,just hand written in white pencil 73-H & where the tinsel leads attach to the cone there is a G with a 5 under it.
I always assumed this cone was original, but now I am told that "all JBL cones have a stamped number" I thought that this wasn't always the case.
Can someone enlighten me?

Here is a previous thread where we discuss the dustcaps.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19772

Earl K
06-03-2008, 06:44 AM
My advice ?

(1) Stop any current eBay auction you may be running for these drivers ( ie; use "item not as described" / or a similar reason ).

(2) Have the "ts parameters" of these 10 inchers checked by someone in Winnipeg who has "Woofer Tester" . This should cost you something .

(3) If the ts parameters check out as being close to those of K110(s) / then relist your woofers / and include this information .

(4) If the TS numbers come back as being wildly off ( especially the BL figure ) / then auction off the woofers as "reconed with non-JBL parts" .

<> Earl K

ie; The orange dust caps work against ( make moot ) all anecdotal claims ( that you may dig up ) that these are original cones ..

Roy Boltz
06-03-2008, 08:57 AM
My advice ?

(1) Stop any current eBay auction you may be running for these drivers ( ie; use "item not as described" / or a similar reason ).

(2) Have the "ts parameters" of these 10 inchers checked by someone in Winnipeg who has "Woofer Tester" . This should cost you something .

(3) If the ts parameters check out as being close to those of K110(s) / then relist your woofers / and include this information .

(4) If the TS numbers come back as being wildly off ( especially the BL figure ) / then auction off the woofers as "reconed with non-JBL parts" .

<> Earl K

ie; The orange dust caps work against ( make moot ) all anecdotal claims ( that you may dig up ) that these are original cones ..

Thanks for your reply,,,but could you be more specific?
I assume you are saying that these cones are in fact not original, is this true? Do all JBL cones have "stamped" codes on the cone?

johnaec
06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I still think there was a short, (in the 60's,70's or 80's), series of Fender amps that had JBL's with orange domes - I'm positive I've seen this either in actual amps or in literature at the time... And no, I'm not talking about the orange basket versions.

John

Earl K
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your reply,,,but could you be more specific?

Sure, what I'm suggesting is that once any speakers' pedigree has been called into question , ( IMO ) having the TS parameters checked ( against the factory standard ) will go a long way towards re-asserting the speakers' status as a healthy specimen .

:)

Roy Boltz
06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Sure, what I'm suggesting is that once any speakers' pedigree has been called into question , ( IMO ) having the TS parameters checked ( against the factory standard ) will go a long way towards re-asserting the speakers' status as a healthy specimen .

:)

Thanks but you still havn't answered my question,,,do all JBL cones have a stamped number on them?;)

Earl K
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks but you still havn't answered my question,,,do all JBL cones have a stamped number on them?

- You need to pose that question to someone who was reconing JBL products prior to the introduction of the "K" series ( early to mid 70s ) . ( Back then I wasn't looking at the back of the cones ).
- An old timer such as this, would've seen a large enough sample of JBL woofers to make his opinion worth listening to .

:> Earl K

Harvey Gerst
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
That's a Hawley stamped part number. They made our cones. As far as the orange tint on the dome, I don't recall seeing one - ever; certainly not while I was there, nor would I have ever spec'ed it on any of the "F" series speakers.

Maybe Tony Lowe did it for some customers, after he took over the MI department.

Zilch
06-03-2008, 11:02 PM
That's a Hawley stamped part number. They made our cones.Roy's saying they're NOT stamped, Harvey.

That argues these are not factory cones.

Anyone can hand write the same number; stamp it even.... :blink:

Harvey Gerst
06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Ah, well all I meant to say is that JBL didn't stamp the cones on the backside. Hawley did the stamping thing in Chicago before sending them to us. I don't remember whether the D110F had a Hawley stamp on it or not. I don't think JBL even owned a white stamp pad at the time.

Roy Boltz
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Ah, well all I meant to say is that JBL didn't stamp the cones on the backside. Hawley did the stamping thing in Chicago before sending them to us. I don't remember whether the D110F had a Hawley stamp on it or not. I don't think JBL even owned a white stamp pad at the time.

Hi Harvey

I was talking to my friend & fellow board member & he says you worked for JBL, & are quite knowlegable in regards to the earlier production speakers.
Would you be able to answer my question? Did all JBL woofers have a stamped cone?

I don't want this to come accross as coy or a smart alec, but I don't think they all did because these don't have a stamp, but I had John, a fellow board member here, come over & he had a very close look at these drivers & he says that they look as original JBL as original gets, he is just puzzled by the caps being orange but the caps still have that trademark slight outer circular divet in the center like a factory dustcap does, the white & yelowish pencil thin point pencil markings look factory JBL, & the quality of the finished product, like the very fine glue line around the dustcap, the spider is nice & flat & tidy with no glue residue anywhere.
Although this can be acomplished by a very compitent reconer with a factory kit, I doubt someone would go through so much trouble to do the pencil lines like JBL did from the factory just to make it look like an original cone, besides, didn't the factory recone kits themselves usually come with stamped number cones?
I don't know maybe I wrong?;)

Roy