PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on the speakers I just got

Meistavonmeiste
05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I was just given a set of JBL D34030 WX speakers and would like some information on them. The serial number is 49364-25908-9345

They look great but I haven't listened to them yet.

Thanks

grumpy
05-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Could that be (C34) with 030 speaker load and walnut cabinet?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page16-17.jpg

Meistavonmeiste
05-31-2008, 02:38 PM
That looks about right...my understanding is they were bought in the late 50' early 60's. I have the "Important Information" envelope and I'm positive it says D34030...

What should I expect from them? Will the speakers still be good? If one is bad do I have it repaired or replaced?

They are huge, heavy and the cabinet looks like it's an inch and a half thick. I will put money into them if needed but need to know if it's worth it.

johnaec
05-31-2008, 02:48 PM
If they have the 030 set, (D130 + 075), they might be worth fixing up as collector items. Sonically, I think you'll find that load is far astray from what is generally considered high fidelity these days, though with judicious EQ some shortcomings can be mitigated. But who knows - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you may find you like the way they sound.

John

grumpy
05-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Very cool "vintage" systems (IMHO). I'd have them repaired -properly- if
there were issues and were to be keepers (they would be for me). If you're
contemplating a sale, then make sure to do your homework so that you
market them properly (repairable, but original often makes for a better sale).

Vs. current, best-available technology? No contest, but still very cool speakers...
but then I already said that :)

Meistavonmeiste
05-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I plan on keeping them...they were my grandfathers and I have always loved them.

It7 does seem like I should insure them...how much would they be to replace?

grumpy
05-31-2008, 03:22 PM
...odd question for grandpa's cherished mementos. You can always watch
ebay... they do pop up in various states of repair now and then. Or hire an
appraiser... opinions here are just that.

If they were mine, and I wanted specific insurance to cover them, I'd see
if the insurance company would accept a specific value, like $5K. You're
not going to find a "replacement" set. Please note I'm not claiming they're
worth $5K.

Meistavonmeiste
05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
I only asked for replacement value because insuring them for the price on the receipt didn't seem like it would do them justice. (I don't know too much about insuring old speakers)

When I first started researching them I wasn't able to find anything on the model number I had and even when replacing the D with a C I couldn't find them anywhere (even eBay). That makes it tough to nail down a value.

You won't find them for sale but you may be able to hear them once they are hooked up.:)
If I remember correctly they had no trouble being loud.

grumpy
05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't really think many people are qualified to put a value on old speakers,
but sure... something more than their original cost would make sense.:)

Check ebay for C34 or even 4350 (a roughly similar pro version of a single
15in "scoop"). Using the search tool here on "C34" brought up a number of threads
you may find of interest (some, maybe not so much).

If I seemed a bit harsh, it's that I often read post 1 (I have some stuff),
followed by post 2 (please tell me what it's worth), as opposed to someone
who is truly interested in the background/lineage of what they've stumbled on,
found at a garage sale, or inherited. ... then see them later on ebay touting
the value as posited here as friendly advice. It gets old.

Post some pics, if you can... you'll probably get more responses/comments.
There's also a registry here that might help with dating your system(s) if
you care to get serial numbers off of the individual drivers.

Cheers,

-grumpy

keith141
06-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I only asked for replacement value because insuring them for the price on the receipt didn't seem like it would do them justice. (I don't know too much about insuring old speakers)

When I first started researching them I wasn't able to find anything on the model number I had and even when replacing the D with a C I couldn't find them anywhere (even eBay). That makes it tough to nail down a value.

You won't find them for sale but you may be able to hear them once they are hooked up.:)
If I remember correctly they had no trouble being loud.

This may help you understand the model number.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=182025#post182025

John
06-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Justice????

If you got house insurence why would you have to buy extra? They are in your house so they are contents of your house and should be covered ?

Just take some pictures and info and keep it in a safe place.

Meistavonmeiste
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Justice????

If you got house insurence why would you have to buy extra? They are in your house so they are contents of your house and should be covered ?

Just take some pictures and info and keep it in a safe place.

I see that you understand insurance less then me. I have already talked to my buddy who is also my insurance agent...all is well but it wouldn't have been unless I wanted $25 a speaker. Seems State Farm doen't put much value in old speakers.

Meistavonmeiste
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
This may help you understand the model number.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=182025#post182025

Very cool, that explains it.

I may need to have somehting repaired...does it matter where I take them? Is it like a sports car that becomes less valuble without proper records.

I know a guy who used to own a Hifi shop and will work on them for me but I just want to make sure I'm not messing them up by having someone work on them. I guess in the long run I just want them to sound good but I have a thing for "doing things right". I don't want to cheap out and pay for it later.

mech986
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Actually, the insurance issue as I understand it is quite a problem. With vintage audio and other expensive hobbies, the value for insurance purposes has to be stated and documented and agreed upon by the insurance company before they will insure. Usually, you then have to get and pay for a "insurance rider" specifying what they are insuring.

In some case, common homeowner insurance will not cover beyond a small stated amount (like 5K). I worried about that when I had over 6 computers in my house early in the dot com boom (however all that value has devalued and depreciated now :barf:.)

But with lots of new or vintage audio gear which many of us perceive as holding value or increasing, it certainly becomes an issue. Same for classic or vintage cars or sports cars. The primary issue is who (car or house) will insure if its only kept in the garage and not driven, what's the agreed value, and how much is the insurance company going to charge for premiums.

This issue begs for each of us with substantial investments in gear or stuff (or valuables), to document, inventory (offsite), and insure our gear stash in the event of a major catastrophe.

Hope that helps.

Bart

John
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I see that you understand insurance less then me. I have already talked to my buddy who is also my insurance agent...all is well but it wouldn't have been unless I wanted $25 a speaker. Seems State Farm doen't put much value in old speakers.

Maybe you should find a new insurence company or agent.:hmm:

Value is based on market value not what some agent thinks.

I had a guitar go missing and I showed a picture of it to my agent. He looked at it and he had no idea what it could be worth? He did see that it was a Gibson and sent me to a Gibson dealer and told me to pick out a new one. Got a new "Les Paul Studio" :rockon1:and dealer billed the Insurence agent.

Dealer said my model was discontinued and the Les Paul Studio was the equivalent.

My house insurence covers everything in my house and garage at replacement value minus the vehicles and computers.

My Vehicles have their own coverage already and I can not be bothered with the computers.

louped garouv
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
it must be different south of your southern border...

i know i have additional coverage riders for my home owners' insurance policy for: art, electronics & jewelry...