PDA

View Full Version : Altering curve on 5235 crossover

Tom Loizeaux
03-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Can anyone tell me if I can reduce the 6dB boost @ 40 Hz (filter Q 2) in the JBL 5235 crossover to be only a 3dB boost?
I feel some boost at 40Hz does help in a peticular application, but 6dB is just a little too much. Is it possible to change the values of a few small componants and achieve a 3 dB boost instead? Which ones ant change to what values? (Giskard?)
Thanks,

Tom

boputnam
03-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Tom...

I "think" I have the owners manual at home, and thereby "think" this may be a jumper option - not specific to 3dB, but alterable to some degree.

However, I may completely wrong (oh, wow, what a surprise... :spin: ) but will check on returning home, mid-week.

Guido
03-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi Tom,

I finished my crossover cards for the 5235 appr. 4 weeks ago and was surprised what influence active filtering has!
The sound is massive improoved.
I had the same problem than you. Personally I prefered the +6dB at 30 Hz but 6 dB seems too much.
I now changed to flat response.
Amazing was that not only the bass was much more defined but even the upper section. While studying the crossover schematic I found that JBL sends in internal modus ALL signals thru the 52 uF Capacitor which I think is not necessary.
In external modus the 52 uF cap is bridged. This clears up the sound.