PDA

View Full Version : Sva 2100

oznob
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1217003713

I saw these today and couldn't resist. Same guy I purchsed the S3100's from. After only briefly listening to them I am very impressed! I'm just a sucker for big JBL two ways! I will try to get some pictures posted later.

Mark

oznob
05-26-2008, 08:23 PM
OK so maybe the pictures are a bit small but you get the idea.

tom1040
05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
How do they compare with the S3100 speakers?

tom1040
05-27-2008, 05:45 AM
btw, I really like my S2600 speakers. They are perfect for my living space....for now.

oznob
05-27-2008, 06:21 AM
How do they compare with the S3100 speakers?

Hi Tom, glad to hear you like the 2600's. I haven't had much time to do much of an A/B with them yet. I can say the highs and mids are more directional with the 2100's, not as wide a soundstage which is I guess to be expected. Low end punch is close, perhaps a bit tighter with the 2100's. I plan on doing a lot more critical listening with both this coming weekend. Short answer, I would be very satisfied with the 2100's as my main speakers thus far.

tom1040
05-27-2008, 06:51 AM
I would be very satisfied with the 2100's as my main speakers thus far.

How much for the S3100's?:bouncy::bouncy:

oznob
05-27-2008, 07:06 AM
I would be very satisfied with the 2100's as my main speakers thus far.

How much for the S3100's?:bouncy::bouncy:

Hold on, I said in another thread that the S3100 was it, "the last main speaker I would have!" However, I also said I am not married to them!:no:
If at some point I do decide to part with them I will let you know.

Mark

tom1040
05-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry......it was kinda' a joke....I saw that original post. However, I am just using a Sansui G-8000 with a BSR EQ-3000 and Onkyo Integra DX-788F cdp on my S2600 and love it. I had spent alot ( for me ) of $ to buy power for Infinity Kappa 8.1 & RS8 Kappa speakers until I bought the JBL's. The JBL's seem to be more dynamic sounding then the Kappa's.

I may switch back at some point but with the JBL's there does not seem to be anything missing and are very enjoyable at low & high volumes with the lower end equipment I have driving them.

I bet the S3100's are even better. I do hope for you that you have found that elusive speaker. It is habit forming-grass is always greener mentality that drives our obession for the 'one' system that is all you need or ever want. :)

Titanium Dome
05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I saw that ad and was tempted, but I didn't really need another pair. It's just that they were NIB! Excellent score.

I've had the S/2600 and SVA2100s in the same room. There's quite a difference as you can imagine. If I had to make a very generic distinction it would be this:
S/2600: stereo only, and some of the best stereo you will ever hear.
SVA2100: stereo pretty convincing but narrow; multichannel, unbelievable presence and pinpoint accuracy.

The SVA2100 bests my S/2600 in pure bass output within its given range, but the S/2600 is more musical and goes a bit lower. The S/3100 should do even better in the low bass department. The SVA's MTM format is a great pinpoint imaging scheme, and it's hard to beat in terms of visceral impact.

SVA2100s will blow your brains out and leave you gasping on the floor if you want them to. S/2600s will transport your body and soul to another plane of existence with the right music and set up.

oznob
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Since moving into out new house a couple of weeks ago, I have had them in a large great room that opens into a large kitchen, dining room, den and entry. The 3100's can certainly fill the place with great music! My concern is when I get the "Man Room" finished they will be in an 11'x22' room with a 12' ceiling. The short wall will probably be the only option for placement which concerns me. I guess time will tell but for now I am thoroughly enjoying both great speakers! At some point, sadly, I think one will have to go, but which one is the big question.:hmm:

Titanium Dome
05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
The choice is not that tough. Keep the S/3100s.

Titanium Dome
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Put the SVA2100s in the man room and the S/3100s in the great room. Just take your sweet time finishing the man room and let the S/3100s establish their right of place in the great room. Play music she likes that fills the whole house with sweetness, light, and romance. They'll be permanent before you know it.

She won't want to go to the man cave to hear them.

oznob
05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Put the SVA2100s in the man room and the S/3100s in the great room. Just take your sweet time finishing the man room and let the S/3100s establish their right of place in the great room. Play music she likes that fills the whole house with sweetness, light, and romance. They'll be permanent before you know it.

She won't want to go to the man cave to hear them.

:rotfl:
Well, she read your post and got a good chuckle out of it! Then she said something about Hell freezing over or something similar. She did say she liked the looks of the 3100's better. There may be hope?:p

Titanium Dome
05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
:rotfl:
Well, she read your post and got a good chuckle out of it! Then she said something about Hell freezing over or something similar. She did say she liked the looks of the 3100's better. There may be hope?:p

Actually, in Dante's Divine Comedy he depicts the center of Hell as bone chilling cold, with Satan frozen in the center, his mouth and limbs madly fidgeting as he tries to free himself from eternal captivity. So, Hell is already frozen over.

Get a small sheet of plastic and put it on top of one of the S/3100s. Place a nice doily on top of it, and on the doily place a very nice vase. Twice a week, bring home a fresh bunch of flowers and place them in the vase. Put a romantic card addressed to your wife next to the vase. (Use a different card every time, not the same one!!) Never talk about the speakers or about keeping them or moving them. Just keep the flowers and cards coming.

Don't show this to your wife.

oznob
06-10-2008, 07:30 AM
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/archive_jbl-sva2100.shtml

I found this an interesting review with a "down under" flair! I'm not much on audio magazine reviews as I belive most are market/advertising driven but, any positive JBL review is worth a look IMHO. They seem to be few and far between.

oznob
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
OK, so every time I play a good rock song I just have to turn up the volume, I can't help it! I put them in a smaller room, closer together and near the corners. Got some boomy bass as a result. I dug out some 4" plumbers plugs, Zilch's inspiration here, and closed the top ports. I have to say the bass was less boomy, more articulate but they seem to not go as low which I guess is to be expected? They are not as smooth and accurate as the S3100, no surprise, but they are a kick to listen to, especially with rock! I got "Dear Mr. Fantasy" by Traffic on at about 1/4 volume, bitchin'! Hey the wife's at our daughter's so papa's drinkin' beer and rocking out!

Titanium Dome
06-22-2008, 01:18 AM
OK, so every time I play a good rock song I just have to turn up the volume, I can't help it!

papa's drinkin' beer and rocking out!

They will do that for you. :bouncy: They are tireless.

xgoran
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I got JBL SVA-2100 also a couple months ago, when I have heard them I just couldn't resist as I love to hear nice and strong bass. I don't know if I have overpayed them (1200EUR) but I was not in a position to negotiate.

Now they are connected to my Denon POA-2400 + PRA-1500 and I'm satisfied. My friend brought his Sansui AU-7900 and it gave mids and highs a bit better, but a bass was kind of "boomy" which I didn't like.

Any suggestions for some more improvement would be nice. As for now I'm holding them in a 3x4m room which seems too small for JBL's.

Regis
07-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I got JBL SVA-2100 also a couple months ago, when I have heard them I just couldn't resist as I love to hear nice and strong bass. I don't know if I have overpayed them (1200EUR) but I was not in a position to negotiate.

Now they are connected to my Denon POA-2400 + PRA-1500 and I'm satisfied. My friend brought his Sansui AU-7900 and it gave mids and highs a bit better, but a bass was kind of "boomy" which I didn't like.

Any suggestions for some more improvement would be nice. As for now I'm holding them in a 3x4m room which seems too small for JBL's.

The likely reason for the boomy woofers, is that the older vintage amplifiers, like the Sansui, didn't have the damping factor that the newer technology has. I believe that the damping is responsible for how the amp handles the woofers (others feel free to add in). The more damping, the cleaner and sharper the bass is.

oznob
07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
The likely reason for the boomy woofers, is that the older vintage amplifiers, like the Sansui, didn't have the damping factor that the newer technology has. I believe that the damping is responsible for how the amp handles the woofers (others feel free to add in). The more damping, the cleaner and sharper the bass is.

Good observation Regis. They are placement sensitive also. Too close to side walls, rear walls and/or corners can cause a boomy effect on the low frequencies. I experienced this in a smaller room with a very modern amp. I used 4" plumbers plugs, 'ala Zilch, and sealed off the top ports. This helped lessen the boominess and tightened up the lower mids. I don't know the availability of plumbers plugs in your part of the world but you could always try a towel or other material and experiment. I would also try different placements if possible. Good luck, they are a great speaker IMHO!

Regis
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Doh! Forgot about that too! :banghead: The bass reinforcement is just as important.

greyhound
07-17-2008, 01:33 AM
i realy love the SVA 2100.
ill never forget the experience of listening to a Strapping young Lad album on these big boys.
the power and drive are truly spectacular.
e also put a sock in the bass port. dutch rooms are smaaler than american ones and over here everything is concrete , no wood.

so gratz with your speakers
if i see them here in holland ill consider trading them for my century golds.

have fun.
greetings robin

oznob
07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
i realy love the SVA 2100.
ill never forget the experience of listening to a Strapping young Lad album on these big boys.
the power and drive are truly spectacular.
e also put a sock in the bass port. dutch rooms are smaaler than american ones and over here everything is concrete , no wood.

so gratz with your speakers
if i see them here in holland ill consider trading them for my century golds.

have fun.
greetings robin

Hey Robin, if you do find a pair of 2100's I would still try to keep the Century's. They are likely not as dynamic as the 2100's but, pardon the american vernacular, they are WAY COOL!:cool:

greyhound
07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
agreed:bouncy:
but no way there's enough room for 2 pair of big boys.
her royal majesty will not allow;)

just to play for a year ore 2 with the sva 2100 would be a great experience i think.

and i can finally get rid of my neighbours:D

xgoran
07-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Yes, Regis, I agree. When I first have heard SVA's it was on Kenwood M1 with some Tube pre-amp. The room was slight bigger than mine and speakers are about 1m away of the walls (side and back). The bass was kind deeper. After that, the guy has connected them to NAT tube amps and the sound was also amazing.

Right now I'm happy with my Denon's, POA-2400 has a lot of power for them, and PRA-1500 has kind of warm sound - not too sharp. At some point it seems like there could be more highs, but larger room is at first place to be made :).

When I first bring them home, I didn't have much space in a room, so I placed them in to the corners - which wasn't that good idea, later I moved them closer to the center, but just about 30cm away back from the wall...

I dig a little bit on net to find a price, and I found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230271100396&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=230267462288&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D2

the guy from Australia is selling them for 2500 AUD, that's about 1500 EUR....