PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instrument Speakers

vettedrummer
05-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I've been doing some hunting for JBL Musical Instrument speakers and it seems like JBL has left that market as well. Is this true? I'm looking for two 15" bass guitar speakers like the 140's or something like that. Don't they build any musical instrument speakers at all any more? Perhaps this accounts for the high dollar amounts that Fender 120 and 130 and 140 speakers are selling for. Makes you wonder just what it is JBL wants to build! Happy Memorial Day , Frank

John
05-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Perhaps this accounts for the high dollar amounts that Fender 120 and 130 and 140 speakers are selling for.

Actually I think they are selling at quite resonable prices all things considered.:bouncy:

boputnam
05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm looking for two 15" bass guitar speakers like the 140's or something like that.There's a few D140F's listed on Jammin' Jersey (http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=jblspeaker) right now - some look to be in very good condition.

But no, JBL does not offer these any more...

John
05-27-2008, 03:05 PM
There's a few D140F's listed on Jammin' Jersey (http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=jblspeaker) right now - some look to be in very good condition.

How could you tell???:hmm:

There are no pictures displayed or offered???:(

johnaec
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Fortunately, there are so many D, K, and E series MI speakers in circulation that I believe we'll see recone kits available for a long time, so even if you get a beater, it's probably capable of being brought back to like-new condition.

I imagine JBL dropped out of this market because it seems the majority of musicians want a "dirtier" sound than JBL is willing to stoop for, plus, because of the costs for precision construction and quality, most starving musicians are also unwilling to pay for them. Personally, I love them for guitar, though for bass, I prefer their higher output Pro stuff...

John

vettedrummer
05-30-2008, 12:56 AM
John, what model number would I be lookng for in the pro line for a great 15" bass guitar speaker? Cost? Are they still making these? Or will I be hunting ebay for them? Cheers, Frank

edgewound
05-30-2008, 01:17 AM
John, what model number would I be lookng for in the pro line for a great 15" bass guitar speaker? Cost? Are they still making these? Or will I be hunting ebay for them? Cheers, Frank

2226G,H

Recone is about $180....new around $350.

scott fitlin
05-30-2008, 02:35 AM
I dunno. I honestly think that while the 2226 is a VERY good woofer, a bass musical instrument woofer really needs the aluminum dustcap for HF overtones and twang.

For bass guitar, IF you MUST have a dedicated MI woofer, Celestion, and Eminence are making these kinds of drivers.

IF the JBL sound is what YOU CRAVE, you can hunt down good E-140,s through ebay or MI shops!

Personally, I'd stick with JBL on these woofers, you can find what you seek.

jus my personal thoughts.

boputnam
05-30-2008, 07:21 AM
How could you tell???:hmm:

There are no pictures displayed or offered???:(Nope, but experience tells that their descriptions are reliable.

John
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Nope, but experience tells that their descriptions are reliable.

Well that is not what I have heard from a few buyers.

John
06-01-2008, 06:49 PM

I would go with a E140 or K140 depending on what motor you want.

vettedrummer
06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks to all of you! Cheers, Frank