PDA

View Full Version : Well... I'm sold !

xr600
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
To make a shhort story even shorter...

... I never really cared much for JBL speakers. Always thought they had boomy bass, and ear tiring highs. As a musician I have recorded in several studios, which had JBL's as mid-field monitors... These always sounded 'ok' but a bit en the dull side (as studio monitors tend to do...).

Well, a few days ago I went to buy a second hand poweramp... So, this guy wants to demo the amp on a pair of JBL's, and I'm thinking... Well ok.

But damn !!, those speakers just blew me away... I basically loved everything about them, especially their dynamic cababillities (ok with a 2x200watt 8 Ohm / 2x400 watt 4 Ohm amp what do you expect ?!).Those speakers were offcourse a pair of 212 (I thin kthey are called ?!). Two floor-standers and a sub.

Well, the thing is that I just can't get those speakers out of my head. However I do not have the space or the money to own a pair of 212's, but I was considering if there is an 'alternative' vintage JBL speaker, which has the same dynamic capabilites and general well balanced sound ?!... Perhaps one that would not mind being wall mounted ?!...

As mentioned previously, I don't know much about JBL's, as I never cared much for them... So I am pretty much blank. I have looked and found a pair of reasonably priced L96's, but I'm not sure how the sound would match up with the 212's ?!?... Any advice from the experienced ?!?.

Regards.

Torben

xr600
05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, Maybe I should have a look, and see if anyone has a pair of those in a price range I can afford...

... But what other models are 'worth' owning ?!... L96 ?, L100 (seems to be a classic). In other words, what models would soundwise and in terms of dynamics come close to the 212 ?.

... And, when I say wall mount, I offcourse mean using proper mounts (matching the speakers size). I have seen it done in many studios (JBL 4312's come to mind). Anyway, I would not dream of 'just' nailing them up there...

//Torben

BMWCCA
05-26-2008, 03:23 PM
The reason the L212s are suggested as wall-mounts after hacking the cabinetry is that the boxes are sized for 8" low-frequency drivers. Now they're very good, strong, well-made, 8" drivers, but JBL also made many good (better than L100) 12"-driver "bookshelf" models. My favorite as an owner for over twenty years would be the L112. But there are many others that, especially if used with a sub, would give you the feel you liked in the L212. The L96 would be a good candidate, too, if you want even smaller wall-mountable systems, or the L110, if you can find it. Heck, even my L20T is pretty darn impressive for its size and with the bass duct in front could be easily wall-mounted.

macaroonie
05-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I think one of the strengths of the 212 system, or rather two, the 066 tweeter and especially the 2108 / 112 mid bass. The 200mm driver is outstanding and scarce. To the best of my knowledge it was only used in two systems , the 212 and the 4315 monitor.
My suggestion would be to be patient and use google searches very particularly. You may be able to dig up a set of 212 in europe, and I have seen the panels alone trading in the US for under 7-8 hundred$$$. The sub would be pretty easy to replicate.
An alternative would be to try to find a pair of 4315 with rotten cabinets and do a rebuild to emulate the 212. The bonus there is you have the slot HFand two 2203 bass drivers. ( there is a thread here somewhere with a small box sub using 2 x 2203 ).

The simplest solution is of course the 4313b or the L110 and add a sub if you need it.
There may be some members here with something to sell, post a wanted add, but stick around you will learn more than you need to know.
Good luck ....... Mac

mike
05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I think the L96 would be a good candidate. I've owned many older JBL's including a set of 250Ti's, Magnepans, Thiels, Kef's, LS3/5A's , ADS's etc and the L96 is probably the most listenable speaker I have ever owned. It is more accurate and refined than most older JBL's but it still has just right amount of forward character and dynamics. It's probably similiar to the L212.

Mike

xr600
05-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, it's real hard to find your way in the world of JBL, as a newbie... However I'm getting (a little bit) wiser as the days go by...

I think macaroonie is absolutely right about he stengths of the 212... The tweeter definately has character (a bit on the harsh side perhaps ?!), and the midrange is just pure sugar on the ears. Also, forwardness is indeed the right word, to describe their overall character... But man do I like it !! :D.

Over the years, listening to way too many systems, I have learned that I tend to like tweeters which are undampened (no ferrofluid), and to no surprise, I read that the ones in the 212 are undampened as well... But did they put that tweeter (or similar) in any other boxes ?!.

The reason for asking specifically about the L96 is, that I have the chance of purchasing a set (with refoamed bass units), for around $250... And optically the units look very simlilar to those of the 212 (I do know that looks decieve ;)...)...

Regards.
Torben.

macaroonie
05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
The 066 is in the L166 Horizon also. I think the 044 and 044Ti are direct replacements hence that pair of 212 on epay in Germany might not be that bad although the bass driver is wrong.
If you can get them for a price that reflects the non original condition then that would be a good starting point.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21230

BMWCCA
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech sheet says it requires baffle modification and must replace in pairs....since they don't sound the same.

macaroonie
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Please remember that these things are not at all commonplace in Europe compared to the US,so you need to take what you can get. Even more so here in Scottyland. If the cabinets are 80% he can fix up the rest in time.
If you have any doubt about this check out the prices for standard 4311/4312 pairs in Europe and then do the exchange rate for $$
Starving for drivers in Glasgow....... Mac:(

LRBacon
06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd give the L96 a listen, you might be surprised. The mid and tweeter are very similar to those in the L212.
If the LE10H-1 woofer doesn't go deep enough, use a subwoofer.

Larry

4313B
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
The tweeter definately has character (a bit on the harsh side perhaps ?!)The 066 demanded a particular back end to sound nice. It had low tolerance for some amplifiers. With the proper back end it sounded really nice. The 033 and 044 seemed to be more tolerant.

They were all fundamental improvements over JBL's paper coned tweeters.

Guido
06-05-2008, 03:47 AM
The reason for asking specifically about the L96 is, that I have the chance of purchasing a set (with refoamed bass units), for around $250... And optically the units look very simlilar to those of the 212 (I do know that looks decieve ;)...)...

Regards.
Torben.

Buy it Buy it Buy it!!!

The L96 is a VERY nice little speaker. 250USD is a bargain. I wouldn't sell my L96/4313B clones with charge coupled crossovers for less then 400 Euro!!