PDA

View Full Version : SR4735a and 4718 ideas?

SMKSoundPro
05-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Dear LH,

I just received a pair of SR4735a 3way speakers in trade and have very little experience with them. They are in rough shape, and will need some simple repairs to polish them back up.

In looking at the pdf: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/SR-Series/SR4735A.pdf

I see where these use a 2226G, 2119h and 2417/ 2371 horn combo.

1. The 2226g are whole and seem good to go.

2. The 2119: one reconed with new 2119h kit with shiny black cone; other 2119h original grey paper cone, very thin cone, very fragile feeling. (Needs new recone kit to match other 2119)

3. Both 2417 dia's appear new, untested & unmolested. One crossthreaded 6x32 screw for dia. Need to re-tap the 2417 hole.

4. 2371 horns - One horn fine shape. Other horn flare all busted up on the corners.

5. Need some of the stacking corner protectors as all on the bottoms are gone.

Looks like these two cabinets took a topple in the back of the dj's box van as he was usually DUI on his way home from the gig.

Comment: I also have a pair of SR4718a that these '35's can sit on and make a classic Sr package.

Any experience with these boxes is greatly appreciated. Also Biamp or triamp recommendations.

SMKSoundPro
05-25-2008, 01:01 AM
What about installing a pair of 2425/2370a combo?

I have a pair, and a little hack of the baffle and ....voila!

any response?

johnaec
05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a new 2371 horn I'll sell for $10 plus shipping. At least your broken one would be taken care of.

I wonder if the "shiny" 2119 recone was an aftermarket?

John

SMKSoundPro
05-25-2008, 12:29 PM
John,

I just wrote to Subwoof for a 2371 where he said he will look into the boxes of horns that he has. Thank you for your offer, and please standby with the offer. I will await Subwoof's results.

These 4735a's come from a closing JBL service facility here in Anchorage. I know who the owner was. He was my competition dj firm for many years. How he stayed in business was a mystery. He tended to get a little too drunk at wedding gigs, and his care of his equipment for shiddy at best.

These 4735's were dropped off for service work and never claimed, or paid for. Now they are mine.

So, to answer the question...Yes, the 2119h was reconed by a JBL service center reconer using a c8r2119h kit. I am heading to the bar and will take some pictures to share here.

I am looking for better information on how these boxes are used. Whether biamped, or rip out the xovers and triamped. And how to utilize them with the SR4718a subs I have. This should be a great set of cabs for smaller gigs that will fit in my Chrysler Town & Country. (Lisa calls it: "the 7 passanger chariot of romance!") Heavens!

All help and advise is welcome. There are no dumb questions here.

Thank You!

Scotty.

subwoof
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM
That box has a mixed blessing...the addition of the 8" midrange over the basic 15/horn of the 4725 makes for a better balanced system for medium reinforcement BUT 3 glaring issues.

(1) The original 4735 crossover had many faults - if it's the "A" version you should be OK after you replace the jacks and resolder the component board..ADD a second neutric to the panel for jump in-out.

(2) The 8 ( and ALL of the 211X cones ) are thin, prone to folding failure at the first rib and lack mechanical + thermal power handling.

(3) The 2417 was a step backwards from the 2426 in thermal power and sensitivity but has a nice high end.

So if you recone the other 2119, deal with the crossover and chipped horn, keep it stock. IF you need to kill people at 100 feet and do screaming vocals, then try this:

(A) Change the 8 to a 2123H (10")...the cutout is only a *little* larger and there is space in the doghouse if you are careful. The 2119 and 2123 are the same width at 9.25"

(B) Change the horn / driver to the 2452SL and PT-95H. they will fit but a little wood will be required to fill the sides.

(C) Active 3WAY with a driverack ( 350 / 1.2K 24db LW ) or similar and make sure ALL the cones have the *WR* treatment ( your JBL guy can add it ) to make them beer-resistant.

Now this will absolutely KILL and never blow up unless you follow the original owners formula for success. But it will cost some big bucks....and the crossover won't work for this...

As for the stack, it's fine but gravity is your enemy so make SURE you stack on a good level surface and keep the woozy women away from them. And don't even THINK about putting a t-bar on top for those DJ lights...

Another quick note - the 2381 / 2452 combo will fit nicely into the 4718 for a "beefy" version ( and actually LIGHTER ) of the standard 4726. This was a cool combo for DJ's who did raves and could care LESS about critical beamwidth in the low vocal range ( the basic boom-boom / hiss-hiss EQ ).

And Zepplin played LOUD thru it was perfect.

:o)

mikebake
05-26-2008, 05:48 AM
The final iteration http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/SR-X%20Series/SR4735X.pdf
is quite different as the mid is now horn loaded. These are what I have four of (actually their custom shop twin the CS3115) and they are good units. Long-ish throw and good sounding.

SMKSoundPro
05-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Here are some pictures:

SMKSoundPro
05-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Definetly "A" model crossover.

2119 with some other cone kit. Not JBL, or at least one I donot recognize.

Other 2119 JBL cone (grey) with very soft paper creases and tears at the first rib.
(I agree with the others about how fragile the paper cone is on these 8"mids!)(I have 4 D-110 baskets - Need 2123 recone kits!)

Mid dog house fall out and go boom! Have to re-glue and secure that better.

Some kind soul is sending me a new 2371 horn! Yea!!!:bouncy:

I think I can make these sing and swing again!

Scotty.

Keep bringing on the ideas and suggestions! Thank you!

SMKSoundPro
05-28-2008, 01:26 AM
IF you need to kill people at 100 feet and do screaming vocals, then try this:

(B) Change the horn / driver to the 2452SL and PT-95H. they will fit but a little wood will be required to fill the sides.

(C) Active 3WAY with a driverack ( 350 / 1.2K 24db LW ) or similar and make sure ALL the cones have the *WR* treatment ( your JBL guy can add it ) to make them beer-resistant. :o)

I TOTALLY LOVE THESE IDEAS!!!!

I was going to cut in a 2370 and 2425 horn driver combo, but if I can jam a 2 incher in there...on a 90x40 horn....Oh Man!

I have the dbx 260 sitting here doing nothing! Might be a great dedicated use for it. I can use a dbx 120xp to drive the 4718.

(NO!!! :scold: I have NEVER put a "t" bar of disco lights on speakers, ever!!! That's what the USS tripods stands are for.)

Where do i get a PT-95h horn? From JBL parts?

Thank You ALL!

Scotty.

ps. "As for the stack, it's fine but gravity is your enemy so make SURE you stack on a good level surface and keep the woozy women away from them."
Man, thats how I got my dates!!! The woozier, the better, because back then, so was I!!

SMKSoundPro
06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok. Hope all is well with everyone!

I just got home from completing one of the SR4735a's. All of the drivers are in and biamped it using a Rane SAC22 xover and a Crown Power Base 2 amp.

Initial findings: Very Different! (Lisa says yuk would be OK)

I thought that the woof and mid would be tied together in biamp mode and the horn would separate. Its not that way at all. In looking at the schematics, I see that the woofer is speakon 1+1-, and the mid and horn and 2+2-.

I could not turn the horn down by itself. So then I figured well lets stack this 4735 on top of a single sr4718x (2241G) and utilize the "sub" output of the Rane SAC22 xover. I used two Mackie 1400i amps for this operation.

It was ok/ Seemed like a lot of horn. I swept the cossoverpoint between 250-650 hz and found approximatel 450 hz was the spot. I have a 1/3 octave eq (dbx 2231) on the drive line for adjustment. Pulled 1.6k down a touch. (-3db) Also pulled 6.3K down -3db or so. Bumped up 40, 60 for a little hump and bump.

I can see where stripping the crossovers and running them off a 3-way xover might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience with these boxes that they can share?

Scott.

Add'l Info: I forgot to mention that the diaphragm I had was a D8R2416, and not the preferred D8R2417.