PDA

View Full Version : Small horn monitors

John W
05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I recently finished a pair of horn monitors and thought I’d share a few pictures. Going into the project I wanted something small enough to fit on the shelf in the family room and still have some of the dynamics of a larger horn system. The final boxes are about 18 x 20 x 10

The speakers are two ways with 708g woofers on the bottom and 2407h on the top. The horns are similar to the ones in the 1200hz smith horn thread, but with a 45 degree Westlake lip.

The 708g is a great little woofer and is used the L3, L5 and L7. It works well in a small ported box. The impedance is closer to 4 ohms than 8, though. I thought about hooking them up parallel with a network similar to a 4430’s, but was concerned about the overall impedance falling too low. In the end I decided to run the pair hooked up in series

I tried both the small 2408h neo drivers and the 2407h. Of the two, I preferred the sound of the 2407h. They just seem a little more open and less constricted.

The crossover is based on the NL200t3. I made a few changes to adjust for the horns and bring the crossover up to about 1200hz.

hjames
05-24-2008, 09:46 AM
What beautiful speakers - just gorgeous!
I can imagine they sound quite nice!

Mr. Widget
05-24-2008, 10:05 AM
John, your projects are always an inspiration... keep 'em coming. :D

I'd love to see some pics of some of your furniture too... we'll have to talk.

Widget

toddalin
05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
I like 'em! Would make really nice surround speakers.

macaroonie
05-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Lovely work John. Did you keep any pics of your work on the horn throats, I'm sure a few folks would be keen to see that. :applaud:
Mac

brianlun
05-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Wow, its beautiful:applaud:. I wish my speaker have a wood horn like this.

SMKSoundPro
05-24-2008, 03:03 PM
What a wonderful project!

I would like to see some more pictures if possible.

More horn details, if you please.

Great work!!!

Congratulations on the success of your project!!

Scotty.

John W
05-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Here is a picture of the horn out of the cabinet. It basically slips in a slot and is screwed from the back. There is small access hole for the 2407. It's a little tight.

yggdrasil
05-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Great looking speakers again John.

I did have the question about the horn mounting, but you have just answered it very good.

Keep the projects coming.

John W
05-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I like 'em! Would make really nice surround speakers.

Your right there.

John W
05-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I had them upside down for a while, but found the duck look a little distracting.

When doing some measurements I found the vertical beaming of the horns wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be. The measurements on the bottom are made from the listening postion, moving vertically down from horn heigh to sitting position on the couch.

KromeDome
05-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Your right there.

Nice, nice, design John!

"Mini Evlakes"...or how about "Everest AA66000"...

...or, worse yet, "Everest DoubleAA66000"...:blink:.

rj2077
05-24-2008, 07:25 PM
sir, your work is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while many of us have to buy our toys, you just make yours.... very nice indeed..

best regards

Skywave-Rider
05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Completely beautiful. How do you feel the dispersion matches at crossover frequency? I really think that could fit in a small apartment! (Sans sub.) Great. :applaud:
Is the horn in a separate chamber?

Hoerninger
05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Very beautiful! :applaud:
May I call it "small Everest inverted"?

Beowulf
05-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I had them upside down for a while, but found the duck look a little distracting.
:rotfl:
They look absolutely stunning in their final position on either side of the fireplace . . . wow. Are you using the bass bins with them here, and they're just not shown?

johnaec
05-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Very nice! :applaud: I hope someday I can find the time to get out all the cabinets I have plans for...

John

John W
05-25-2008, 09:08 AM
:rotfl:
They look absolutely stunning in their final position on either side of the fireplace . . . wow. Are you using the bass bins with them here, and they're just not shown?

No, these are LE120H boxes from another project. I wish I had someplace to set them up and not get in trouble with the family.

toddalin
05-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking that you may be able to bring up the trough between 1.5k and 4k by making C3 larger. You may want to try paralleling some other values with C3 and look at the resulting effects. Just start small and work up.

Most of the JBL crossovers I see for use with horn drivers (LE85 and equivalent) use a value of 12 - 16.5 mfd for a crossover point of 800 to 1kHz. To me, a value of 1.8 mfd looks kind of small. (The 075 uses a value of 1.5 mfd and a 0.6 mH choke for a 7kHz crossover point.) :blink:

subwoof
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Way back in 1981 I made (4) cabinets ( alas out of generic birch plywood that was painted ) that used a pair of K110-16's and the early generation 2345 that did not have the mounting flange.

These hung upside down ( your duck position ) at the back end of a big dance floor and worked quite well considering the technological limitations of the equipment.

And they looked almost identical to these! I used the 2421 ( just came out ) for HF and while there wasn't any bass to speak of, it was very wide in dispersion.

To this day I don't know where they ended up...and that horn is almost impossible to find anymore...:o(

sub

boputnam
05-25-2008, 06:43 PM
I had them upside down for a while, but found the duck look a little distracting. That's hilarious...

The measurements on the bottom are made from the listening postion, moving vertically down from horn height to sitting position on the couch.Interesting traces, John - not as much variance as I would have expected.

Tell me - what is the "active curve" trace...?

John W
05-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Tell me - what is the "active curve" trace...?

I think that is just the residual noise in my sound card and preamp. In the RTA program you can lable saved curves, but there is always the "Active" curve in the forground. Here it's with the pink noise turned off.

btw: SynRTA is nice little free RTA program
http://www.libinst.com/SynRTA.htm

timc
05-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Very nice work John. You'r a real wizzard with wood :applaud:

-Tim

boputnam
05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I think that is just the residual noise in my sound card and preamp. In the RTA program you can lable saved curves, but there is always the "Active" curve in the forground. ...Hi, John...

I don't think that's what it is. Bouncing back-and-forth from the vendor's website and your post #11, above, I think the following:

All the other curves, hand labelled, are your stored traces.

The "active curve" is simply that - the current response which you have not yet stored and labelled. I guess you had moved the mic substantially out of optimum position at that point...?

Otherwise, if that is your soundcard, I'd suggest you explore different options! :p

Earl K
05-28-2008, 07:25 AM
:) Very Nice John !

<> Earl K