PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a BX63A manual?

doucanoe
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I just picked up a B380 with the BX63A active. The 2235H is now in the process of getting a refoam and it should be back in about two weeks.

One thing I don't have is an operation manual for the BX63A. I have looked the site over and don't think that there is one in the library unless I have missed something.

I found the tech manual but not the operation manual.

If anyone has one and could scan it for me, I would be very grateful. I would be glad to pay a little somthun, somethun for the effort ;)

Thanks, RC

Robh3606
05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I have one. If you want I can scan it and post it here and if you send me your email I can send you the hi-res scans.

Rob:)

Robh3606
05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Rob:)

doucanoe
05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Hey Rob, thanks so much!

That works just fine for me and I won't make you go to the trouble of sending by email.

I'm excited about finding the B380 not to mention the BX63A that came along with it. I really wanted to be able to read what JBL had to say about the unit (operation manual) so now I'm set!

Now, all I have to do is find another at some point to round things off. My only problem now is that I am running out of listening room, well, room. :D

Thanks again, RC

doucanoe
05-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Ok then, I have gone over the manual and I think that I am still missing (understanding) something.

I was planning on finding or purchasing another amp to drive the B380. It seems that I can use a stereo amp and the BX63a will address the summing duties for me. Thats great for the fact that I will not need to purchase a dedicated amp immediatly.

I am confused by one thing however. If I choose a LF output (normal or inverted) to the stereo amp for the sub, Which input on the amp do I connect to (left or right) or does it make a difference. Also, how by doing this, is this bridging the amp? The amp does not care as long as it receives a signal, correct, but that doesn't make it bridged. Am I missing something?

Life was much less complicated just using a stereo tube preamp and amp. Heck, I dont even use a remote in my main system :D

RC

hjames
05-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Ok then, I have gone over the manual and I think that I am still missing (understanding) something.

I was planning on finding or purchasing another amp to drive the B380. It seems that I can use a stereo amp and the BX63a will address the summing duties for me. Thats great for the fact that I will not need to purchase a dedicated amp immediatly.

I am confused by one thing however. If I choose a LF output (normal or inverted) to the stereo amp for the sub, Which input on the amp do I connect to (left or right) or does it make a difference. Also, how by doing this, is this bridging the amp? The amp does not care as long as it receives a signal, correct, but that doesn't make it bridged. Am I missing something?

Life was much less complicated just using a stereo tube preamp and amp. Heck, I dont even use a remote in my main system :D

RC

From the reading of the manual it sounds like you are on your own for bridging an amp - they are recommending amp power in single channel mode. I know I am feeding my B380 with a Citation 22 - est 600w/mono (peaks) - but its an easily bridgable amp.

doucanoe
05-25-2008, 08:32 AM
From the reading of the manual it sounds like you are on your own for bridging an amp - they are recommending amp power in single channel mode. I know I am feeding my B380 with a Citation 22 - est 600w/mono (peaks) - but its an easily bridgable amp.

Hi Heather,
That's pretty much what I thought. No interconnect connection could possibly bridge an amp, placed before the amp no matter what the device was.

I am familiar with strapping tube amps at the speaker terminals but I'm pretty certian that you can't do the same with a SS amp. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I have owned SS amps the had bridging accomodations by use of a switch but I'm not familiar with how to modify an amp for mono.

Does your HK have a bridging switch or did you do something else?

I have a feeling that it might be much easier just to order the NHT A1 sub amp I have been looking at.

RC

Zilch
05-25-2008, 12:29 PM
When you bridge an amp externally, the amp must get a normal polarity signal in one channel, and an inverted one in the second. BX63(A) provides those signals from its single input.

You must then verify that the amp outputs are "bridgeable" with the speaker connection, which depends on the topology. It is not the same as strapping a tube amp's outputs in parallel.

This is from the days when amps with internal bridging options were not commonplace. You had to do it yourself....

jims
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
The manual explains it. If your amp can be bridged externally, connect the normal output from the BX63 to one amplifier input channel and the inverted output to the other. The amp output to the B380 is from the two "positive" (red) amplifier terminals. As Zilch says, just make sure your amplifier topology can accept this.

doucanoe
05-26-2008, 06:18 AM
The spare amplifier I was thinking about using is a Mitsubishi A-30. About 110-120 w/ch stereo but I have no idea if it can handle it.

RC

doucanoe
06-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Just an update:

I picked up the 2235H after a fresh re-foam from an authorized JBL dealer and had it up and running last weekend. We powered it with a NHT A1 sub amp and were using Tannoy Venus loudspeakers for mains. The results were very impressive.

The B380/BX63A blended very well and was really a treat!

Even though I rarely use a sub for music only systems but have always been fascinated by them for some reason. Most of the subs that I have owned have been more HT orientated and have provided deep bass but more one note wonders. The B380 really has some range to it!

I won’t be using it in my main system more than likely but when I’m looking for smooth LF extension with a smaller stand mount, I will be very happy to have it at my disposal.

Thanks for all the info!

RC

JBL 4645
06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Damn good post Robh3606 spot on!:applaud:

When you bridge an amp externally, the amp must get a normal polarity signal in one channel, and an inverted one in the second. BX63(A) provides those signals from its single input.

You must then verify that the amp outputs are "bridgeable" with the speaker connection, which depends on the topology. It is not the same as strapping a tube amp's outputs in parallel.

This is from the days when amps with internal bridging options were not commonplace. You had to do it yourself....

Zilch

Afternoon there

Can you, please provide more information on this subject typically with diagrams.
My Alesis RA300 have simplified switch and just re-connecting speaker leads to (plus and plus) to produce the extra amount of power when in the bridge mono mode.

So can the stereo amplifiers from the past be tricked into providing extra power, like my Marantz 1050 or is not advisable to do so for that model.

Cheers :)