PDA

View Full Version : Pair of new in box L60T

kjt
05-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi, I have a question that I hope someone here can answer.

I have a pair of brand new sealed in the box L60T speakers (box stamped July 1987). I waited many years to acquire these. The father of a friend of mine had them sitting in his basement all these years.

Their basement was always a bit damp, but not wet. The outer cardboard box feels a little moist, but the original tape seals are still intact. I'm hoping a couple of days out of that basement will dry out the cardboard.

My question - by any chance do these speakers come wrapped in plastic inside the box?

On a side note, I also am the original owner of a pair of L100Ts that I got a great deal on in 1988 or 1989 from Crazy Eddie (if anyone remembers that chain).

One other pair that I own are L26s - Haven't used them in years. They need a foam job.

I just found this place tonight. Thanks in advance for the replies.

JPTL
05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Lucky guy.

porschedpm
05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Open them up and find out.

kjt
05-19-2008, 03:33 AM
I'm not planning on opening the boxes since I currently have no use for them. They've been factory sealed for 21 years, so why open them now? If I don't find a use for them, they will never get opened.:D

hjames
05-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Lucky guy.

Do you want a set of L60Ts?
I have a spare set I would sell - plus I am local to you, so, no shipping fees!
I need the room!!
PM me and we can talk ...

KromeDome
05-19-2008, 04:27 AM
My question - by any chance do these speakers come wrapped in plastic inside the box?

I am fairly sure my L100T's weren't. They had a sheet of poly foam on either end that protected the top and bottom from the molded styrofoam endcaps, and that was it. JBL probably wanted to prevent any plastic wrap from sweating the oil finish.

Probably the same packing as your original L100T's I would guess...:blink:.

kjt
05-19-2008, 06:37 AM
My L100Ts from Crazy Eddie were purchased from their going out of business liquidation sale (crazy free for all). They were brand new, not floor demos, but pulled out of the boxes....so I don't know how they came packed.

On the LT60Ts, I can feel the foam endcaps on the top and bottom of the boxes. The middle cardboard feels like it has no support.

The reason behind posting was because I was wondering about what condition the foam surrounds might be in. If the speakers were in factory sealed plastic, they would probably have a better chance of survival than being exposed in a cardboard box for 20 years. However, being that they have been stored in a slightly more humid than average environment for 20 years, they might be perfectly fine.

spkrman57
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
You need to see if they are damaged by moisture.

If they are, there is no need for keeping them in the box!!!

Ron

kjt
05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to update....

I broke down and opened the boxes.

Foam/drivers are great.

Wood veneer case -- not terrible -- but.....

Had almost a fine dustlike coating on surfaces. It rubbed off black/green on a rag.

Veneer has a couple spots that are slightly raised like the wood swelled slightly.

The seams of the box have very slightly opened up - probably due to moisture swelling. I am hoping that once they dry out, the seams will shrink and disappear.

The styrofoam packing left some white marks on the black painted base of each speaker.

Otherwise, they are very nice.