PDA

View Full Version : Recone vs refome LE8T

goughary
05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I've read much of what has been said here regarding refoaming and reconing the LE8T drivers. What's the final word? Which sounds better and most like the original? Does the thicker cone change the sound dramatically? I have a pair of Aquarius IV and don't want to make the wrong choice.

Further - for Refoaming or Reconing -who are the most highly recommended companies to do the work?

Rolf
05-17-2008, 03:58 AM
JBL (and I from experience) recommend: Re-Cone!

goughary
05-18-2008, 07:21 PM
if I re-cone, who would be the best person/company to use? Or does that not matter as much as they use the right OEM kit?

Rolf
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
if I re-cone, who would be the best person/company to use? Or does that not matter as much as they use the right OEM kit?

Both are important. In your area you have to ask other members witch one to use, as I live in Norway, and don't have a clue who to use in your area.

goughary
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the help - I live in Connecticut near new york - and honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin to look here...but i appreciate the help. I thnk what I am going to do is refoam for the tme being. Can't hurt if they will be reconed in the future anyway. And it's a lot less expensive...

grumpy
05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
pro service centers in CT:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/ct.html

I don't know if others here might have had experience in one, the other,
or an alternate...

goughary
05-23-2008, 08:56 PM
thanks - I went with a refoam kit first. I figured that if they will get reconed anyway, no harm in refoaming in the meantime so I can at least use my speakers - Thansk for the help.

Has anyone used the shop in Bridgeport? Are they good? I've heard others have had success with Millersound. Should I send them away, or is it easy enough that my local shop will be sufficient? I haven't reconed a speaker before, so I don't know what to expect...
thanks again

WDJ
05-24-2008, 08:05 AM
There's an excellent "sticky" (it stays at the top of the list) located in the DIY forum that will take you through the refoam/resurround process.

If you send them out to have them done, make sure to REQUIRE that the surrounds are to be attached to the rear of the cone.

I've refoamed due to the lack of recone kits with no problems.

enjoy,
WDJ