PDA

View Full Version : Levinson Amp servicing question.

Steve K
05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello All,

I've finally, and luckily, managed to trade up(?) my power amp from a Pass X-150 to a Levinson No.23.5. As you may know, the Pass is still in the current catalog, but the No. 23.5 is a 1990 product and so is about 18 years old. A tech person at Harman was able to tell me that this particular amp was serviced back in 1999 at which time some caps have been replaced, along with a full checkup. The same person tells me that so far they've done no cap replacements on products that have been serviced similarly once before. My question then is how often should a similar service be performed? The performance as of now seems fine, but I haven't heard how they sounded when new or right after being fully serviced.

By the way, the pre-amp is an equally old Accuphase C-280V. So far there aren't any scratchiness or noise coming out, like when turning the volume knob or selecting input sources, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Steve K

macaroonie
05-16-2008, 03:20 AM
My two favourite brands. I have an antique E202 that is over 30 years old and it does not make any wierd noises at all and never has . Still going strong.
I don't think you have any concerns at all with the ML.

Steve K
05-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks. Glad to hear it! In other words, don't fix what ain't broke, right?
I suppose the consumers in this country are more finicky than others with regards to the condition of their audio gear, actually for almost everything.

Steve K
Tokyo