PDA

View Full Version : Dream set to jump for ??

SEAWOLF97
05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Funny question, maybe..

Are you so happy with your mains that you WOULD NOT jump to some dream pair if the right deal came along ???

What speaker at what reasonable price would make you reconsider what you have now ??

EXAMPLE : for me I am very happy, BUT , having never heard or even seen a pair, but reading a lot, if a pristine set of 250ti's in teak came along at my price, I would very much consider upgrading..

Is there 1 particular speaker within your reach that does it for you ???? :bouncy: that wud be your ultimate, never to upgrade again speakers ??

BMWCCA
05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Within reason——and recently that has excluded the 4-way pro monitors——I'd have to say an L300. But I'm also fascinated by the 240ti which I'm thinking I'd prefer to the 250 since I'm just not a pyramid guy, yet I love the idea of a 14" since I'm such a fan of the fifteens and mostly listen to twelves. I could aspire to better, but I'm dealing within quasi-affordable parameters which pretty much excludes anything with a mid-range horn.

I've got to add that with less than a day under my belt listening to the L7s, I could be happy in this environment for a good long while. You've got me wondering how much better could 250ti's sound next to these black monoliths? I don't remember hearing a speaker that could fill a room so well and provide superb imaging from nearly any angle. Very scary! And I consider myself a bit of a Luddite when it comes to JBL——or I used to be.

Don C
05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Performance series that I have. They have a great balance of power and refinement. To get more of both would probably cost a lot more than the 2200 or so that I paid for these, used. The only weak area is the cabinetry, which suffers in both shape and surface. I don't much like the vinyl veneer, nor the odd two box tower shape. But I don't think that I could find any better sound for the money.

JBLnsince1959
05-15-2008, 10:11 AM
The only weak area is the cabinetry, which suffers in both shape and surface. I don't much like the vinyl veneer, nor the odd two box tower shape. But I don't think that I could find any better sound for the money.

yes, for the money and considering the design ( Boxes), the PS series is an excellent bang for the buck. the HT design ( two boxes) does "hurt" the sound from an audiophile perspective tho.

if I were to jump at anything it might be a 4345, K2 or array series

Tweak48
05-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd lay out $5000 TODAY for a set of Project Array 1400's if I could get them. Perhaps more.

As it stands now they are the only speakers that would drive me to sell my L-300s; except for possibly a mint set of 250Ti Jubilees.

Titanium Dome
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Within reason——and recently that has excluded the 4-way pro monitors——I'd have to say an L300. But I'm also fascinated by the 240ti which I'm thinking I'd prefer to the 250 since I'm just not a pyramid guy, yet I love the idea of a 14" since I'm such a fan of the fifteens and mostly listen to twelves. I could aspire to better, but I'm dealing within quasi-affordable parameters which pretty much excludes anything with a mid-range horn.

I've got to add that with less than a day under my belt listening to the L7s, I could be happy in this environment for a good long while. You've got me wondering how much better could 250ti's sound next to these black monoliths? I don't remember hearing a speaker that could fill a room so well and provide superb imaging from nearly any angle. Very scary! And I consider myself a bit of a Luddite when it comes to JBL——or I used to be.

Well, if you ever get to SoCal and offer me the right incentive ;) :cheers: I can let you compare L7s, XPL200s, L250s, 240Tis, and PT800s (w/ LE14H-1 subs for bottoms) side by side.

Titanium Dome
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Are you so happy with your mains that you WOULD NOT jump to some dream pair if the right deal came along ???

What speaker at what reasonable price would make you reconsider what you have now ??

Is there 1 particular speaker within your reach that does it for you ???? :bouncy: that wud be your ultimate, never to upgrade again speakers ??

Have to admit I'm mulling that very question at this time. The next JBL step for me would either be the Array Series or the K2s. I have inquiries out on both right now. The Arrays would be the easier step economically, but the K2 has the allure of exclusivity and "statement speaker."

At the same time, when I see souped-up Arrays in G.T.'s living room, I ponder the bang-for-buck equation: Could the Arrays really do more for me at a lower cost than the much more expensive K2s?

Perhaps the newer Arrays are a large enough step up that I'd consider skipping the K2s and going to Everests someday. Or perhaps if I went straight to K2s, I'd never have the urge to go higher.

Or I might just regret going to any of the horns for the long haul and wish I'd waited for JBL to produce another top of the line direct radiator model, a 250Ti for the 21st Century.

BMWCCA
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, if you ever get to SoCal and offer me the right incentive ;) :cheers: I can let you compare L7s, XPL200s, L250s, 240Tis, and PT800s (w/ LE14H-1 subs for bottoms) side by side.Umm, San Diego on June 20th? How close am I and what's your favorite brew? ;)

Krunchy
05-15-2008, 07:43 PM
For me this connundrum of a question would be answerable in a few minutes if I could hear some of the models that intrigue me. I heard Robh's XPL's and they sounded really good to me. I'd love to hear a set of the 250ti's as well. Since T.Dome mentioned G.T.'s arrays Id have to say that I would be extremely curious to see (hear) what they sounde like, they look amazing and probably sound even better than they look. I'd also like to hear Oznob's new babies, they look like some serious speakerage.
Does anyone have a good picture of the K2's T.Dome mentioned?

(photo credit 4313B.) They just look amazing, boy would I love to hear that set up!
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13892&stc=1&d=1142807250

Titanium Dome
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
There are quite a few varieties of K2s. Here are K2 S5500 and K2 S9800.

Mr. Widget
05-17-2008, 11:20 PM
That's a funny switch... me the horn guy with some inverted metal domes and you the domophile with some horns. :D The only "JBL" product that I'd really want short of the Big Kahuna, the DD66000s, would be the new big boys that also come from Northridge and Harman. The Ultima 2s from Revel. Either the Studios or the Salons.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/308revel/

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Well my system is almost perfect.. I said almost... So the only thing I need to do is replace my HF driver with the JBL 476 HF driver.. Then I,d be happy (for awhile):D

Gary L
05-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Loaded question there Seawolf!:applaud:

From the looks of the posts above it becomes pretty apparent some will never be completely happy!

It is pretty interesting about what floats the boats of many of us here.

Some go for size while others go for a particular style or shape and yet others seek nothing but the best audio sound.

We can then add those who look for a particular name brand, wood type or finish and even the guys who seek maximum SPLs.

I believe there is a perception that there is always a better speaker out there somewhere for each of our particular desires and needs.

There just does not seem to be any way that one speaker could ever be considered "The Best" for any of us.

If there was, I'm almost sure we would all be at the "Bose" site:D

Gary

Mr. Widget
05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Well my system is almost perfect.. I said almost... That's pretty much how I feel.

I re-read the initial post for this thread and guess my answer was wrong. I was thinking of these systems as additional systems that I would love to have and do covet, but I wouldn't be prepared to lose mine in the process.

Widget

toddalin
05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
That's a funny switch... me the horn guy with some inverted metal domes and you the domophile with some horns. :D The only "JBL" product that I'd really want short of the Big Kahuna, the DD66000s, would be the new big boys that also come from Northridge and Harman. The Ultima 2s from Revel. Either the Studios or the Salons. 28 Hz to 20 kHz±1.3 dB.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/308revel/

Widget

Sound & Vision reviewed the Revel Ultima Salon 2s in last month's issue. Very nice at $22,000/pr. They use three 8" woofers for the equivelent cone area of one 14" woofer.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/image/2008/W15/410200812940.jpg

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/2812/test-report-revel-salon2-stereo-speakers.html

edgewound
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I think that peek into GT's living room should speak volumes...of both dollars and sense.