PDA

View Full Version : Boldly going into the ranks of the L7 owners; a CL success story!

BMWCCA
05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
After years of watching others snag all the good deals simply because they live on the west coast, my ship came in today.

For those who care, I've contemplated adding a pair of L7s to my collection since reading about the L-series in T Dome's thread. Realizing the limitations of my living space, I opted instead for the L5s only to find I was unexpectedly pleased and surprised by them. Sean (spwal) did the leg-work for me a few months ago making it possible for me to simply arrive in Boston and pick them up from his brother. Brutal gets the "find" credit on those from Boston Craig's List. I was a happy L5 owner but still interested in the L7s and getting more so every day with the addition to our list of some from JBL involved in their creation (Chris "CHagen7" and Rick "3dbdown"). So I kept on looking casually and occasionally placing a bid on Ebay just to keep others honest.

So last night I was doing my regular "JBL" search on DC Craig's List (I'm 100 miles away but their's is a far more fertile pond than my tiny town. I figured I'd humor myself and do the same search in my town's CL which hasn't had a real JBL other than an iPod dock for a year or more and there's an ad for an L7 pair, "You pickup, $350" and it's even listed as in my tiny whistle-stop section of our rural area. That's too much even for me to pass up. So I did the reply (no phone listed) and made an appointment to see them today after work, asking if the price was negotiable. When the seller sent me the meeting location, it turned out his house was four houses down the street from mine. Well (as I told T Dome), actually past my neighbor, past a horse farm, and the second driveway after turning at the next intersection. Still, I could easily walk it in ten minutes.

We meet, they were as advertised (all grilles intact, bases, minor scratch and tiny chip on a corner covered by the grille, probably from a fingernail). Turned out we'd met before and he's finishing his residency, moving, and had bought these from another resident leaving the area a few years back. Never really used them because he didn't have enough power or room, but they were hooked up to his Apple wireless system and home theater playing just for me. We chatted about neighborly stuff, the medical profession, dogs, cars, and after nearly an hour I told him I had no right to be buying them other than I was always intrigued by the design, but I hoped I wouldn't have to pay his asking price just to try them on a lark. Before I could even make an offer, he told me how happy he was they were going to someone who could appreciate them and would $200 be to much? I agreed and we talked some more, then he helped me put then in my pickup for the 1/4-mile ride home. It couldn't have been a more pleasant transaction.

They're currently on the front porch awaiting a bit of living-room shuffling before they come inside to see what they've gotten into next. Don't know when they'll meet their brothers the L5s upstairs but they can sing to each other! (I've got a spare PS-400 waiting for them, and a PS-200, too, if I want to bi-amp these big boys.) Looks like a deal I could only read about from you Californians on this list, but these are mine now. No shipping, nearly perfect, and, oddly enough, this guy's name was Sean, too (but, truth be told, he spells it Shawn!) Not only that but he went to MIT! What a strange small world we live in.

So now I have, in order of acquisition:
030 C37 (12/1958)
L112 (05/83)
L150A (02/06)
4412A (0706)
L20t (11/07)
L5 (02/08)
L7 (05/08)

and my wife and daughters know I'm crazy!

Fred Sanford
05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
:applaud:

Nice work, I know what you mean about the local CL. I never looked at it, then checked it out on a lark, and that's where I snagged the HP420s. Turns out I knew the folks through a friend...etc. Small town.

je

brutal
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
This L5 score?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=200976#poststop

:coolness:

I had to pass on a set of L7 last week for $500. I just don't have the space right now, and should really stop spending so much $$$ on audio...

BMWCCA
05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
This L5 score?Yikes! I must be suffering from OldTimers! Of course, it was your tip on the L5s. Thanks so much. I've corrected the mis-statement. I'm guessing it was Krunchy's encouragement I remember! :o:

Don Mascali
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I think it's about time for you to consider a "12 Step Program" :D

Nice score and as always good listening to you,

Don M

BMWCCA
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it's about time for you to consider a "12 Step Program" :DDon should talk! I've been to his house; and he's responsible for my L150As! I don't need a twelve-step program, what I need is more high-quality recordings. And I can't have too many speakers because I still have some Crowns that aren't being used! And another Soundcraftsmen pre-amp on the way. This is cheap fun and a harmless hobby. Paying for two kids in college is my real job.

Oh yeah, I forgot the L26 pair I got off the 'Bay for $29.99 recently. They're sitting in my company office in SC right now waiting to find their way here. They could be a bit underwhelming after the L7s. I got one hooked up in the living room playing opposite an 030. It was about 1am when I hooked it to the DC300A-II. The other side will have to wait until tomorrow. So far the L7 is a very pleasant speaker at low volume playing Michael Hedges and Alex deGrassi but my wife says enough's enough for the night. :(

I need a private screening room like Don's.

brutal
05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Yikes! I must be suffering from OldTimers! Of course, it was your tip on the L5s. Thanks so much. I've corrected the mis-statement. I'm guessing it was Krunchy's encouragement I remember! :o:

:D No worries man. I have all the CxS diseases. CRS, CSS, CFS. - Can't Remember/See/Find Shit. I also have AOADD - Adult Onset ADD. Really. I'm not kidding. Yes I am. No I'm not. LOL That's my Craig Fergussen/Eddie Izzard impersonation. :barf:

hjames
05-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Yeah, you better stay away ...
it might be contagious ...
I got enough already, really I do!

I keep telling myself I'll sell the spares ... yeah ...
I keep telling Emma I'm gonna sell the extras when they get fixed up right ... currently that just means the L60Ts and the L100s,
...and the spare Yamaha receiver (got 2) and the older gear (JVC 5.1 receiver & peripherals).

Don should talk! I've been to his house; and he's responsible for my L150As! I don't need a twelve-step program, what I need is more high-quality recordings. And I can't have too many speakers because I still have some Crowns that aren't being used! And another Soundcraftsmen pre-amp on the way. This is cheap fun and a harmless hobby. Paying for two kids in college is my real job.

I need a private screening room like Don's.

brutal
05-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, you better stay away ...
it might be contagious ...
I got enough already, really I do!

I keep telling myself I'll sell the spares ... yeah ...
I keep telling Emma I'm gonna sell the extras when they get fixed up right ... currently that just means the L60Ts and the L100s,
...and the spare Yamaha receiver (got 2) and the older gear (JVC 5.1 receiver & peripherals).

What Yamaha receiver? :wave: Yamaha collector in da house... (if you can call 40 pieces and still growing collecting!)

hjames
05-14-2008, 02:49 AM
What Yamaha receiver? :wave: Yamaha collector in da house... (if you can call 40 pieces and still growing collecting!)

Yamaha? Receivers - Ok, just 3, plus a discrete amp ...
Yamaha CR-400 I bought new back in '76 runs the basement system

Yamaha CR-1020 was the amp I got for the Living room system (L200s w/2405 upgrade) Looks nice and may go back into place.

Yamaha CR-2040 currently in place in the living room. (more headroom, but that black veneer is super ugly!) .. running the L100s now!

Yamaha M-50 Amp (Does 125w/ch conventional or 20w/ch does Class A mode) I just won that on ebay to try it on the high split side of the 4341s.

Oh, and a trashed M-45 Amp I "won" on ebay and wound up filing a claim to force a full and complete refund ... Its going away ...

brutal
05-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Yamaha? Receivers - Ok, just 3, plus a discrete amp ...
Yamaha CR-400 I bought new back in '76 runs the basement system

Yamaha CR-1020 was the amp I got for the Living room system (L200s w/2405 upgrade) Looks nice and may go back into place.

Yamaha CR-2040 currently in place in the living room. (more headroom, but that black veneer is super ugly!) .. running the L100s now!

Yamaha M-50 Amp (Does 125w/ch conventional or 20w/ch does Class A mode) I just won that on ebay to try it on the high split side of the 4341s.

Oh, and a trashed M-45 Amp I "won" on ebay and wound up filing a claim to force a full and complete refund ... Its going away ...

Sweet!

The CR-1020 is a great vintage receiver. I love both of mine!

Careful with those CR-xx40 models. They have an NLA pre-drive power amp chip component that's very prone to failure. I think the CR-2040 also has this. If I recall, it's most prone to damage switching to Class-A while operating.

I didn't think the M-50 had a Class-A mode. The M-70/M-50 are brethren and the M-70 definitely doesn't do Class-A. Regardless, the M-50 should shine on the high end of those 4341's!