PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with original WE or Altec 755 please look inside

nickmckinney
05-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Hello, my first post here. For those that don't know me I was the engineer/designer of the TD drivers at Lambda Acoustics.

I have a new/old project that I am starting to work on, the Western Electric - Altec 755. I need some help though from those who have an original one (only early A models) that has never been reconed or rebuilt. There might be an engineering number on the back side of the cone, if you find any please PM me.

Also anybody with an original cone from one of these, even just pieces of it let me know. I am having it analyzed to see the properties but need to make sure we get enough of a representative sample. I only have a single cone here from an early Altec 755A but its unknown if its original or was ever reconed years ago (it sure looks original)

Lets just say I have access to the original cone molds for these drivers, now we need to figure out the original pulp and see if its still possible to make new today.

herki the cat
12-28-2009, 04:06 AM
For what it's worth...I saw the requirement to "PM" the WECO 755-A Cone info to LH member "nickmckinney", only after i had posted the data in the forum.

After sending the PM, i have decided to leave my post stand for those interested in this magnificient Awesome Full Range WECO 755-A Product.

In 1947, i stuffed one of these WECO-755-A, 8" speakers in the dash of my 1947 Oldsmobile Sedan with a custom FM reciever just when FM was becoming a reality, and the music broadcasts were still exquisite, beautiful artistry. What we have today is :blah: & :banghead:

Cheers herki the cat
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, my first post here. For those that don't know me I was the engineer/designer of the TD drivers at Lambda Acoustics.

I have a new/old project that I am starting to work on, the Western Electric - Altec 755. I need some help though from those who have an original one (only early A models) that has never been reconed or rebuilt. There might be an engineering number on the back side of the cone, if you find any please PM me.

Also anybody with an original cone from one of these, even just pieces of it let me know. I am having it analyzed to see the properties but need to make sure we get enough of a representative sample. I only have a single cone here from an early Altec 755A but its unknown if its original or was ever reconed years ago (it sure looks original)

Lets just say I have access to the original cone molds for these drivers, now we need to figure out the original pulp and see if its still possible to make new today.
-------------------------------------------
You are sitting on a gold mine with the original 755 cone mold; In 1951, at a Bell Lab's Solid State Symposium, i was told by Bell Labs engineer: Mr. miller, who designed the 755-A , the 728-B, & 754-A with curvalinear, wide range paper cones with high content of silk fibers & the 713-A, B, & C compression drivers & WECO Horns." I have owned all of these items.

Talk to Bill, at Great Plains Audio, who inherited most of the original WECO speaker tools. It was my impression with my 755's __that all 755 A, B, & C had the same cone & voice coil & produced the same quality sound. Note that "the Altec Service Co in 1950 had acquired all the WECO tools & sold orignial replacement cones for 755-A & 728-B for $20.00, & WECO 594-A Drivers for $69.00 right out of replacement stock. In 1951, i bought several of these items from the Altec service Co.
---------------------------------------
Cheers Herki the cat

spkrman57
12-28-2009, 05:21 AM
I will be curious to follow this thread and see how close recones can be made to follow the original.

Regards, Ron

hjames
12-28-2009, 06:15 AM
I notice folks have resurrected this thread from 2008 -
the problem is, the original poster apparently hasn't been
on this site since he started the thread way back when,
(Last Activity: 05-28-2008 10:34 PM)

So, if you want to get in touch with him,
you better PM him so it gets forwarded to his offsite Email
or he won't know anyone has finally noticed his thread from 18 months ago ...