PDA

View Full Version : upgrades to crossover suggestions

vmax700
05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I purchased a pair of custom made speakers. They contain a 075 , 175 mid, and le15a drivers with a N7000 and an LX 5 freq dividing network. I would like to be sure they operate at the best possible capacity and am wondering if the crossovers may need rebiulding, upgrading? I would also like to make sure they are wired correstly. I have no reason to think they are not but would like to find information so I may know for myself. thanks

Mannermusic
05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Have messed with that old "Signature" gear for some years (decades) - here's a starter link for you: last section of the Forum "table of contents" page is Technical Reference (read only). Go down to Links, JBL Pro Links, Network Schematics. You will find a LX5.pdf listed there. Interesting how they did that stuff way back when. I've refurbished those old crossovers (N2400, 3120) but my advice is if it sounds good, it's probably OK. The first thing to cause problems for me has been that the push connectors get loose in the housing. You can usually tighten them without going inside by turning the connector while simultaneously repositioning correctly. Also, you can also replace the old caps with more modern, add by-pass caps - have done that stuff with a nice gain in clarity. So, just depends how involved you want to get - do you want to keep it original or start down the long road of "upgrades." Tons of links here to search/read/digest. Good luck! Mike

vmax700
05-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Mike thanks, I would like to keep original as possible. Replace old caps and the other crossover components as well, but am unsure which ones may need it at this time. I would appreciate any suggestion from you pros. Again thank you sir

Zilch
05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Mike thanks, I would like to keep original as possible. Replace old caps and the other crossover components as well, but am unsure which ones may need it at this time. I would appreciate any suggestion from you pros. Again thank you sirDon't mess with the stock crossovers; set them aside for potential resale later.

Build biased 3105s and active biamp:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=200313&#post200313

I would like to be sure they operate at the best possible capacity....You're ~$300 or less away from there.... :yes: