PDA

View Full Version : Foam tweeter diffusers on 4311s

posvibe
05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a couple of pairs of 4311s and the foam diffusers around the tweets are deteriorating. I have seen after market replacements on ebay and am curious if anyone has had any experience/advice on finding good replacements. All help is greatly appreciated.
Posvibe

ratitifb
05-11-2008, 12:19 PM
(except price :D ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310036098828

grumpy
05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
...or call jbl pro.

http://www.jblproservice.com/parts.html

brutal
05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
(except price :D ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310036098828

Agreed. I've used his foams on a pair of L100 LE25's. Perfect fit.

hjames
05-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Agreed. I've used his foams on a pair of L100 LE25's. Perfect fit.

Good to know, mine are on the way as well!

BMWCCA
05-14-2008, 05:31 AM
JBL lists the following part numbers and prices on the most current price sheet I've seen (2007):

LE25-2 (L26, etc.) foam ring p/n 53363 $1.56

LE25 (L100/A, 4311, etc.) foam ring p/n 50402 $1.90

Looks like less than shipping cost on the Ebay items. But then maybe that's exactly where the seller got them!

hjames
05-14-2008, 06:12 AM
JBL lists the following part numbers and prices on the most current price sheet I've seen (2007):

Looks like less than shipping cost on the Ebay items. But then maybe that's exactly where the seller got them!

Perhaps, but he was quick and expedient, payment was easy and it'll probably arrive today.
Otherwise it was fuss around finding the JBL number, LD phone calls and all of that.
And as of 4PM today it was in my house and on the speakers ... too late, already done!

Mr. Widget
05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Perhaps, but he was quick and expedient, payment was easy and it'll probably arrive today. Otherwise it was fuss around finding the JBL number, LD phone calls and all of that.The JBL part number and phone number have been posted on a dozen threads. JBL Pro Parts is staffed by great people and they are easy to deal with. Call them, give them the part number, pay by credit card over the phone and they ship it that day or the next.

Widget

ratitifb
05-14-2008, 04:08 PM

12$ plus 12$ shipping charge to France :baby: but ...

Perfect fit. :p !

BMWCCA
05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Perhaps, but he was quick and expedient, payment was easy and it'll probably arrive today.
Otherwise it was fuss around finding the JBL number, LD phone calls and all of that.
And as of 4PM today it was in my house and on the speakers ... too late, already done!

I made up a list of small parts I'd like to have for my various speakers. Nothing earth-shaking; o-rings for tweeter screens, tweeter foams, some obscure badges, screws, etc. I did as the JBL Consumer website suggested; I emailed the list, including all part numbers from the technical sheets and even prices from the pro price list where applicable. Two days later I got a return email telling me to call them and asking me to participate in a survey. When I finally got around to calling, the recording suggested using email instead, transferred me through menu selections three times, then kept me on hold for about five minutes. When they finally did answer, they were extremely pleasant to deal with, but they had only the obvious stuff which was also on the Pro parts list. However the Consumer side (Long Island) wanted $3.60 for an 035tiA o-ring grille retainer that lists on the pro parts list for 36¢. They also wanted over $7 for the foam ring for the LE25-2 (L26 tweeter) that the Pro side lists for $1.56. They listed the foam ring for the LE25 (L100 tweeter) as NLA. The rest of the stuff they didn't even have a listing for. So, I thanked them for even stocking old parts and answering the phone but told them, honestly, that their pricing was way beyond the pro price list. The lady agreed and even gave me a contact to ask for at the Pro side in California.

So I called JBL-Pro, spoke to a nice guy almost immediately after one transfer from a live operator, and read him my list of part numbers. Everything listed on the Pro catalog was available at the listed price with the exception of the LE25 foam which they expect to have back in stock withing weeks (I only wanted to have them so I could give them away to those of you on this list who have that model). Must have sold them all to the Ebay sellers! They do indeed list at JBL-Pro for $1.90/each. He took my order (eight o-rings, four LE25-2 foam rings), my Amex number, charged me for UPS-ground, and said they'd be shipped out today. Relatively painless. I even told him about my experience with JBL Consumer and he laughed, saying something about the clients they have to deal with versus the people he gets to deal with. I guess you pay more for your consumer parts because the hoi polloi are generally jerks.

I also asked him about one anomaly that turned up on the pro price list: a metal badge strip for the 4412A studio monitor, listed at $0.06! He looked it up and said, "I wish!" He's got a set of 4412As at home and could use some new grilles and badges. Actually mine still have the original plastic film over them from new, I just figured at six-cents, why not?

But no joy on the gold JBL badges for the L7/L5s. The part number isn't listed anywhere. The ones on the L7s are losing a bit of their gold finish. But then the same badge is used on the L5 under the grilles for those who run them naked, and those are still perfect. I'm thinking I'll just remove the rest of the gold with some course sandpaper to give it a machined finish and maybe fill some color in the letters. Or just stick something else over the original badges which are tilted to fit upright on the time-aligned baffle. No bid deal.

So, overall a good experience with JBL-Pro, and nothing really kind to say about JBL Consumer parts other than they're there if you need them. I think I'll go fill-out that survey now.

BMWCCA
05-30-2008, 08:15 AM
My JBL-Pro order above was processed on 5/21 and arrived today via UPS. A big enough JBL box to hold an LE8 for a couple of pieces that would have fit in a padded envelope! Now I've got an official JBL box though. Must be worth something on Ebay. ;)

Due to some misunderstanding, I ended up with six foam "defraction" rings for the LE25-2 tweeters on my L26s. I ordered four to last my lifetime on a pair of L26s I own but haven't even bothered to pickup-up yet, but I know I'll never need six! These rings are much heavier and more neoprene-like than the light open-cell foam I recall on the L100 LE25s. They are self-adhesive and I have to assume they are correct since they came from JBL. Don't know. Never owned a JBL that needed tweeter foam. So, if anyone here needs two foam rings for the LE25-2 (or LE25-3) part number 53363 (and as far as I can tell, that's all they fit), I've got two spares that cost me probably around $5/pair after I figure shipping to me. Also correct for the 4311B, 4312, 4301, 4301BE, L36, L16, L120 Aquarius, and some "Radiance" series. I'm happy to pass along my savings over the $15/pair plus shipping they cost from JBL Consumer or on Ebay. I'm guessing many LE25-2s have the incorrect light foam rings for the LE25 on them, courtesy of Ebay! Though I'd be hard pressed to tell you what difference that would make. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who knows what these do except keep the grille cloth away from the tweeter. :blink:

Fred Sanford
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
My JBL-Pro order above was processed on 5/21 and arrived today via UPS. A big enough JBL box to hold an LE8 for a couple of pieces that would have fit in a padded envelope! Now I've got an official JBL box though. Must be worth something on Ebay. ;)

Due to some misunderstanding, I ended up with six foam "defraction" rings for the LE25-2 tweeters on my L26s. I ordered four to last my lifetime on a pair of L26s I own but haven't even bothered to pickup-up yet, but I know I'll never need six! These rings are much heavier and more neoprene-like than the light open-cell foam I recall on the L100 LE25s. They are self-adhesive and I have to assume they are correct since they came from JBL. Don't know. Never owned a JBL that needed tweeter foam. So, if anyone here needs two foam rings for the LE25-2 (or LE25-3) part number 53363 (and as far as I can tell, that's all they fit), I've got two spares that cost me probably around $5/pair after I figure shipping to me. Also correct for the 4311B, 4312, 4301, 4301BE, L36, L16, L120 Aquarius, and some "Radiance" series. I'm happy to pass along my savings over the $15/pair plus shipping they cost from JBL Consumer or on Ebay. I'm guessing many LE25-2s have the incorrect light foam rings for the LE25 on them, courtesy of Ebay! Though I'd be hard pressed to tell you what difference that would make. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who knows what these do except keep the grille cloth away from the tweeter. :blink:

I could use 'em, if they're available. I'll e-mail you.

Thanks,

je

BMWCCA
05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I could use 'em, if they're available. I'll e-mail you.They're yours!
(I may have just traded them for bagels. Somehow that seems appropriate! :D )

Fred Sanford
05-30-2008, 06:38 PM
They're yours!
(I may have just traded them for bagels. Somehow that seems appropriate! :D )

Mmm, that works for me...we'll meet up at Bodo's for the exchange...thanks, I'll be in touch.

je