PDA

View Full Version : Altec 825-828 cab with built in JBL 2245 subwoof

Roland
05-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Decided to place JBL 2245 18" sub in the lower compartment of the A5-7 cabinet as a built in subwoof. Once you separate the MR horn with the 515-8G driver from the remaining cab you have about 7+ cu ft which when fiberglass stuffed gives about 9+ cu ft. This is adequate for the JBL which is then tuned to low 20hz via vents and then XO to the MR horn at 175Hz. Best of all
this mod does not require any cabinet cutting only the already needed stiffening of the cab. Unfortunately injured a leg and been unable to complete the job and do listening tests but will report back ASAP. This mod along with a tweet above 7-9K will correct the two acknowledged weaknesses, that is extreme lows and highs. Off hand I do not know of a single cab speaker that can match it's potential capabilities.

MikeM
05-26-2003, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roland
Decided to place JBL 2245 18" sub in the lower compartment of the A5-7 cabinet as a built in subwoof. Once you separate the MR horn with the 515-8G driver from the remaining cab you have about 7+ cu ft which when fiberglass stuffed gives about 9+ cu ft. This is adequate for the JBL which is then tuned to low 20hz via vents and then XO to the MR horn at 175Hz. Best of all
this mod does not require any cabinet cutting only the already needed stiffening of the cab. Unfortunately injured a leg and been unable to complete the job and do listening tests but will report back ASAP. This mod along with a tweet above 7-9K will correct the two acknowledged weaknesses, that is extreme lows and highs. Off hand I do not know of a single cab speaker that can match it's potential capabilities. [/

QUOTE]
Well Ill tell you what. 20 years ago I wanted to upgragde the lowend of my Altec#19 monitors. I replaced the 416-8B with jbl 2235H ( By all things shoulnt have worked well ) Guess what it kicked ass. I think the the 19's Blew away the L300 in bass output. Its a bigger cabnet and not tuned Oh well it cranked. And handled full power for years as well no problems. Only problem I had was local police eveytime I jamed:o

Roland
05-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Only problem I can see is asking the JBL to cross over at 1200Hz which I believe is the model 19's crossover point. I would run the woofer wide open out of crossover. I imagine it would sound great but a little beamy between 1000 and 1200Hz if anybody would even pick it up.

MikeM
05-27-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Roland
Only problem I can see is asking the JBL to cross over at 1200Hz which I believe is the model 19's crossover point. I would run the woofer wide open out of crossover. I imagine it would sound great but a little beamy between 1000 and 1200Hz if anybody would even pick it up.

I forgot to mention I had mine biamped at 800. I think you said you wanted to use thr 2245H i woulnt go past say 800 hz on those preferable 500hz. Did you see the new a7 out? 4K each. I got mine for 550 each dam

Roy Boltz
06-23-2003, 03:39 PM
This sounds interesting but I would guess that it would require a huge room.I would like to hear how well it will works for you once you are finished this project as I have all the components required to try the same,but it would mean taking the drivers out of my Model 19's & transfering into my A7's.Regards,Roy Boltz.